Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
STEELBOOK OF THE YEAR 2015.jpg

Hello ninjas!

It's time to share what your favorites in the Steelbook collectibles category for 2015 in our 5th annual member vote for Steelbook of the Year.

Several new categories have been added this year based on member feedback and the evolution of the types of Steelbook releases released over the years. After the nomination period ends on January 15,2016, the individual voting poll threads for each category will be opened after Apollon tallies the nominations by category, and you will be able to vote until January 31,2016.

The winner(s) will be announced early February. Any Steelbooks that was completely released, shipped and in-hand to customers by December 31,2015 are eligible to be included.

2015 Categories & WInners:

1. Best Steelbook (overall standalone Steelbook only) -Winner: GOTG-Blufans
  2. Best Overall Steelbook "package"(includes extras ie. cards etc)-Winner: GOTG-Blufans
  3. Best Full slip-Winner: Jurassic Park-Film Arena
  4. Best Lenticular slip-Winner: GOTG Ultimate Ed-Blufans
  5. Best Quarter slip-Winner: ZDT-Plain Archive
  6. Best Overall Art-Winner: GOTG-Blufans
  7. Best Finish/embossing or debossing-Winner: Ex Machina (World Wide)
  • Please nominate your 3 favorite picks in each category and respond with your selections in your reply in this thread. Feel free to use pictures, etc to share with fellow ninjas why you've made your selections.
  • The 25 most nominated releases (based on member mentions in this thread), for each of the 7 categories will be included in the 7 voting polls (one for each category) that will be posted mid January. Once the polls are live you can only vote once for your top choice in each category, and you cannot change your vote.
Please kindly keep this thread to nominations for these categories, as always, the nominations and related chat are meant to celebrate the community and collectibles in general. All other general chat should go in gen chat threads, as folks assisting in tabulating nominations need to comb through all unrelated comments.Thanks!

Have fun all!

5.jpg

Attachments

• Steelbook of the year 2015.jpg
    Steelbook of the year 2015.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 49,003
Last edited:
1. Best steelbook: Ex Machina, Big Hero 6 Blufan, GOTG blufan, Boondock Saints, Maleficent WWA

2. Best overall Steelbook package: Big Hero 6 Blufan U.E, GOTG blufan Rocket /Groot, Avengers Nova Full slip

3. Best Full slip: Cinderella Full slip Kimchi, Her Full slip Kimchi, Frank Plain, Big hero 6 Nova, Begin Again Nova, Chappie FA, Avengers Full slip Nova, Avengers 2 Full slip Nova

4. Best Lenticular: Her lenti Kimchi, John Wick lenti Nova, Avengers Nova, Rocket and Groot blufan lenti, Big Hero 6 UE Blufan

5. Best Quarter Slip : Romeo and Juliet Blufan, Moulin Rouge Blufan, The Master Plain, Zero dark thirty Plain

6. Best overall art: Ex machina WWA, Boondock Saints Mondo, Dredd mondo, Romeo and Juliet blufan, Moulin Rouge Blufan, Maleficent

7. Best Finish/Embossing : Ex machina, Maleficent, Avengers nova, Big hero 6 blufan, Romeo and Juliet blufan, Moulin Rouge blufan

"Please nominate your 3 favorite picks in each category" ;-)

1. Best Steelbook: The Thing Mondo,
  2. Best Overall Steelbook package: GOTG Blufans Ultimate
  3. Best Full slip: Fury Japan, Alien China,
  4. Best Lenticular slip: GOTG Rocket & Groot Blufans, Jurassic World Novamedia
  5. Best Quarter slip: Gladiator HDZeta,
  6. Best Overall Art: Total Recall Mondo, The Thing Mondo, Looper Mondo
  7. Best Finish/embossing or debossing:
btw. surprised to see that face/off zavvi hasnt been nominated for best steelbookof all times
Alien China has the WRONG Alien on the cover!!
And Zavvi Face/Off is sad copy of Blufans Face/Off. Check it out.
Blufans
28063-29e267c70ebf3c8122e138ce9d309507.jpg
Zavvi
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gaeljet
I have no complaints whatsoever regarding the sub categories. Actually quite happily pleased to see all of these being added for this year. I think maybe a couple of other categories could have been added. For instance, I think that steelbook retailer of the year would make some sense since a lot of the members here can have a big impact on how they feel about that so that other retailers can learn and can follow suit to see who's on top of the game right now. That will allow everybody to raise the level of their releases in the future. Also, I think that it's become a norm to have the so called one click purchase. There have been some really great packaging going on with the triple packs out there as well.

An expensive steel year has come to an end. Here are my nominations:
1. Ex Machina (WWA), Big Hero 6 (Blufans), Avengers (Nova)
2. Interstellar Box (HDZeta), Big Hero 6 UE (Blufans), Guardians of the Galaxy UE (Blufans)
3. Avengers - Age of Ultron (Nova), Fury (Amazon JP), Chappie (FAC)
4. John Wick (Nova), Big Hero 6 UE (Blufans), Guardians of the Galaxy (Blufans)
5. The Master (Plain), Zero Dark Thirty (Plain), Thor (Blufans)
6. Ex Machina (WWA), Looper (Mondo), Pans Labyrinth (Mondo)
7. Ex Machina (WWA), Thor (Blufans)

Reactions: digitalbabe
i dont need to pick 3 since im sure of what i think is the best on each category! :)
1. Best steelbook Ex-Machina WWA
2. Best overall package Ex-machina FA
3. Best full slip The mockingJay FA
4.5. Best lent n best quarter N/A
6. Best finishing Ex- machina WWA

btw. surprised to see that face/off zavvi hasnt been nominated for best steelbook of all times

There should be a "worst steelbook of the year" category.

Though to be fair, much like I didn't mention steelbooks I didn't own in my votes, I couldn't cast a vote for a steelbook purely based on photos posted here showing how dreadful they are. When steelbooks are horrible, we tend to avoid them (I'm an addict but not that addicted), so the category would have to be "most surprising steelbook... in a bad way", AKA truly deceiving mockups for steelbooks we ended up pre-ordering and that turned out poorly.

Also I saw Maleficient and Her mentioned above, those two were released in October/November 2014, @harry ;) (also, like @hatredhorror said, @digitalbabe wants only three per category).

There should be a "worst steelbook of the year" category.

Though to be fair, much like I didn't mention steelbooks I didn't own in my votes, I couldn't cast a vote for a steelbook purely based on photos posted here showing how dreadful they are. When steelbooks are horrible, we tend to avoid them (I'm an addict but not that addicted), so the category would have to be "most surprising steelbook... in a bad way", AKA truly deceiving mockups for steelbooks we ended up pre-ordering and that turned out poorly.

Also I saw Maleficient and Her mentioned above, those two were released in October/November 2014, @harry ;) (also, like @hatredhorror said, @digitalbabe wants only three per category).

Correct, limiting to 3 for nominations as always because someone has to count all of this up manually and it takes time. Thanks for sticking to the request-if you list more than 3 the 1st 3 will be considered. No other categories to be added this year but as these awards are meant to celebrate the positive aspects of collecting and the stand outs, we'll stick for the Best of the best for now. Feel free to discuss duds in Steelbook chat forum, as always. Enjoy the nomination process guys!

Reactions: rj531
Folks, please stick to the - very clear and extremely easy to follow - guidelines when nominating, otherwise I might not bother counting your post. :wacky:

And a reminder to all, this is not the "nominate the worst steelbook" thread, so kindly stay on topic. ;)

Reactions: rj531
My nominations are:
  1. Best Steelbook - Ex Machina, Guardians Of The Galaxy Blufans, Novamedia The Avengers
  2. Best Overall Steelbook package - Guardians Of The Galaxy ULTIMATE Edition Blufans, FilmArena Collection COMMANDO (w/ Lenti), HDZeta Interstellar Lenticular ( + boxset because of TARS)
  3. Best Full slip - Avengers Age Of Ultron Novamedia, FAC Terminator 3, Blufans Godzilla
  4. Best Lenticular slip - Big Hero 6 Ultimate Edition Blufans, John Wick Novamedia, Kimchidvd RAID 2
  5. Best Quarter slip - HDZeta Gladiator, Blufans Thor, Blufans Thor 2
  6. Best Overall Art - HDZeta Gladiator, Zavvi Captain America Winter Soldier (Lenti), Blufans Godzilla
  7. Best Finish/embossing or debossing - HDZeta Gladiator, Blufans Thor, Blufans Godzilla

no point in adding any of my favs, as they would not even be considered. I can't afford to get all the Asian releases everybody is nominating. I think there are just as many great steels that are not expensive

no point in adding any of my favs, as they would not even be considered. I can't afford to get all the Asian releases everybody is nominating. I think there are just as many great steels that are not expensive

People have nominated many Mondos and they arent expensive ..... just perhaps you dont like them. But there is at least some affordable steels nominated.

Lol ... I agree.

There are plenty of good non-asian releases. I squeezed in Zavvi captain america winter soldier lenti to be nominated for best overall art.

BestSteelbook
-Mad Max (Best Buy Exclusive)
- Ex_Machina (Zavii)
- The Raid II: Berandal (KimchiDVD)

Best overall Steelbook:
- Interstellar (HDZeta Box Set)
- Guardians of the Galaxy(Blufans Lenticular Groot/Rocket)
-Furious 7 (FilmArena)

Best Full Slip:
- Ex_Machina (FilmArena)
- The Raid II: Berandal (KimchiDVD) (black edition)
- Gladiator (HDZeta)

Best Lenticular Slip:
-Nightcrawler (Nova Media)
-Gravity(Blufans)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Blufans Groot/Rocket, Blufans)

Best Quarter Slip:
- N/A

Best Overall Art:
-The Boondock Saints (MondoX)
- Grand Budapest Hotel (KimchiDVD)
-The Raid II: Berandal (KimchiDVD) (black edition)

Best Finish/embossing or debossing:
-Ex Machina (Zavii)
- Game of Thrones Season 1 and 2
- Godzilla (blufans)

it is still great looking! + wrong alien on the cover is one of the lesser problem this edition has :rofl:

was kidding about faceoff of course!
Ha! Ha!:rofl: Yes! Having the WRONG steelbook inside was a negative!!!:hilarious:
And we still need a sarcasm emoji for jokes (like you joking about the Zavvi Face/Off)!
Prediction- the person who invents the Sarcasm Emoji will win the Nobel Peace Prize!!:p:LOL:;)

Reactions: hatredhorror
I've tried like five times to write down my nominations now, but I can't make up my damn mind! :arghh:

It was a lot easier when we only had to vote for one steelbook (although I can understand why it's been categorized this year), as I know for a fact which I'd go for then... Whiplash (WWA). :D

Reactions: digitalbabe
i dont need to pick 3 since im sure of what i think is the best on each category! :)
1. Best steelbook Ex-Machina WWA
2. Best overall package Ex-machina FA
3. Best full slip The mockingJay FA
4.5. Best lent n best quarter N/A
6. Best finishing Ex- machina WWA
You sure you don't want to re consider picking 3 per? Lol clearly ur dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.