splax23

Premium Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
The D
Jon Favreau Not Directing Iron Man 3
The search is on for a new filmmaker.
December 14, 2010
by Eric Goldman

The search has begun for a new director to take on Tony Stark's cinematic adventures, as Vulture reports that Jon Favreau will not be returning to direct Iron Man 3.

Favreau informed Marvel Studios of his decision this week, though Vulture says it's unclear whether his decision was financial, creative or both. Vulture sites an informed source as saying Favreau was frustrated with Marvel wanting to include more and more of their characters into the Iron Man series, especially in the wake of Iron Man's role in The Avengers.

However, Vulture says Favreau may have simply been too expensive for Marvel at this point, as they and their parent company, Disney, look to find ways to cut costs – noting that Favreau is said to have made $10 million for Iron Man 2 and would almost certainly get another sizable raise for Iron Man 3 to as much as $15 million, along with receiving 15 percent of the film's gross after it recouped costs. In fact, Vulture says that one of their sources familiar with "Marvel's playbook" theorizes that the company, "had been pushing a confusing and packed vision of the third film as a tactic to provoke Favreau into leaving the project."

According to Vulture, Marvel began quietly searching for a new director as of last night. However, they note whoever is picked will have to be okayed by Robert Downey Jr., who has contractual approval over the director of the film.

I am not too happy about this because Favreau is one of my favorite directors and he has done an excellent job so far with the first two Iron Man's. I sure hope they can get a good one to replace him.

I am not too happy about this because Favreau is one of my favorite directors and he has done an excellent job so far with the first two Iron Man's. I sure hope they can get a good one to replace him.

That really sux, I agree Favreau has done an excellent job making it one of my favorite super hero movies. I don't have high hopes for #3 now. :(

Oh man that really sucks. He made all the effort to bring Iron Man into the big screen in the best way, now who knows where they'll want to take it.

I almost hope it sucks just to spite the friggin' studio! :angry:

I dont think it was the studio I think it was Favreau.

Why Favreau Left Iron Man 3
Disney came a-calling and he answered.
December 14, 2010
by Jim Vejvoda
Filmmaker Jon Favreau has opened up about why he walked away from the Iron Man franchise.

The director told the Los Angeles Times Hero Complex that he opted to work on making Magic Kingdom for (Marvel's parent company) Disney rather than helm Iron Man 3.

In making his decision, Favreau hoped to "find something that lights a fire [inside him]" and to "blow people away, which is easier to do with a project that isn't loaded with built-in expectations."

Favreau recalled his childhood memories of Walt Disney's films and theme parks as his inspiration to do Magic Kingdom, a Ron Moore-scripted fantasy flick in the vein of Night at the Museum that will see the studio's famed theme park come to life.

Favreau added, "Marvel and I both came of age together. ... The years that we shared were a pivotal experience. Kevin [Feige] has a firm grasp on the many franchises and how they all interweave and I am happy that I had the opportunity to establish the world that these characters can now play in…. Iron Man has given me tremendous opportunities and Kevin and I are enjoying a lot of momentum in our careers thanks to the Iron Man films. I look forward to seeing what others can do playing in the same world."

I dont think it was the studio I think it was Favreau.

IDK, sounds like a big cover up to me. They're always gonna come out saying it was a mutual decision blah blah blah, so nobody looks bad. The other article sounded more plausible.

Wasn't there an article prior to the release of Iron Man 2 where the director mentioned that Marvel didn't allow him to work in peace during the shooting?

at least robert downey jnr is still iron man, that would of sucked to change the actor

its a shame that faveau is not directing though, looking forward to seeing his cowboys & aliens film

at least robert downey jnr is still iron man, that would of sucked to change the actor

its a shame that faveau is not directing though, looking forward to seeing his cowboys & aliens film
Yeah but for how much longer? i read an article that said RDJ in his contract has the ability to turn down any director he doesn't want, and him and favreau where no longer getting along and that's one of the main reasons he left.and they go on to say RDJ has movies waiting for him all over Hollywood he could just go do one of those and not even play Iron Man.

Yeah but for how much longer? i read an article that said RDJ in his contract has the ability to turn down any director he doesn't want, and him and favreau where no longer getting along and that's one of the main reasons he left.and they go on to say RDJ has movies waiting for him all over Hollywood he could just go do one of those and not even play Iron Man.

well to be honest i think rdj plays iron man really well, i woudl rather loose favreau then rdj

but disney is really going to f*** up marvel the way things are going lol

well to be honest i think rdj plays iron man really well, i woudl rather loose favreau then rdj

but disney is really going to f*** up marvel the way things are going lol

Agreed, RDJ was born to play Tony Stark.I just wonder where the franchise goes from now, Favreau was thinking of doing mandarin but since he's gone now who's going to be the villain and what happens to the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.