Terminator 5 Megathread

What is your favorite Terminator movie, so far?

• The Terminator

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Terminator Salvation

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • The Terminator

• Terminator Salvation

• The Terminator

• Terminator Salvation

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
terminatorpic.jpg

Per Screen Rant:

Arnold Schwarzenegger has revealed that he is making a comic book movie and has been approached to star in ‘Terminator 5′, as well as remakes of ‘Predator’ and ‘The Running Man’.

Fans of 1980s/90s action icon Arnold Schwarzenegger have been eagerly awaiting to hear what his next role will be, now that he’s officially returned to acting and retired from politics. There have been rumblings about Terminator 5 for a few weeks now, and Schwarzenegger’s all-too-brief cameo last year in The Expendables set him up for a potentially larger role in the sequel.

Now the former Mr. Olympia (and California governor) has revealed that Terminator isn’t the only ’80s sci-fi/action franchise of his that he’s been approached to revisit – and that a starring role in a comic book movie is on the agenda now as well.

TheArnoldFans were naturally in attendance at the 2011 Arnold Classic this past weekend, where the 63-year-old Schwarzenegger mentioned that he’s received somewhere around fifteen different scripts from studios – including “obvious ones from ‘The Terminator’ to remakes of ‘Predator’ and ‘The Running Man’ and all of those things.”

Schwarzenegger went on to mention that he’s also considering “a lot of original stuff too [and] a comic book character [movie] right now.” He offered no hints as to what those projects might be, but promised that he would make an official announcement about his return to the comic book genre over the next four weeks or so.

Obviously, the Batman & Robin jokes write themselves whenever Schwarzenegger starts talking about comic book movies. However, superhero flicks are as much the rage now as mindless action pics were back in Arnold’s heyday, and it’s not shocking to hear that he’s interested in joining that game. There’s plenty in the way of graphic novel material that doesn’t involve super-powered heroes in eye-catching costumes – so don’t count on seeing Arnold play a masked vigilante anytime soon.

This is also the first concrete word about remakes of either Predator or The Running Man actually being “in development” and not merely rumored. Some fans might cheer the idea of Schwarzenegger revisiting these titles, but I’m betting most people would consider the idea blasphemy or just plain uninteresting – and the same goes for another Terminator movie. On the other hand, money talks in Hollywood, and if studio heads think they can convince Schwarzenegger to sign up for another battle involving hunter aliens or a Battle Royale-style showdown, they’ll go for it.

Will Schwarzenegger revisit 'Predator' and 'The Running Man'?

Chances are good that Schwarzenegger will pass on any prospective remakes/reboots of his previous films, and will instead move forward with other projects like The Expendables 2 and his comic book flick. He also seems fairly non-committed to the idea of another Terminator movie (“seems” is the key word there), which, if you recall, was not the case with Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Perhaps Arnold will just move on to trying some original material and not attempt to profit off the good will built towards his older starring vehicles.

That said – do you want to see Schwarzenegger revisit Terminator, Predator, or The Running Man franchise? And what comic book character would the actor be a good fit to play onscreen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rodtp
I guess "He's Back" ... I thought things were moving along fine without him though :p ... he looks old as **** now .. he'll spend half the day in make up.

Arnold is Qualified only to do 2 things right now... play a Super old Conan or Die. Anything else is Legacy/Career Suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: jefXfree
I personally would like to see him in a Predator sequel. The original kicked ass and needs to he revisited.

Cheers
Crashkelly

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Yeah, the studios know that the strength of the legacies of these Action icons will be significant in reboosting these franchises. Without them the franchises wouldn't even exist, so I am stoked to see more of their cameos and appearances:)

Terminator 5 Mega Thread

Arnold Schwarzenegger officially attached, per Screenrant:

"‘Terminator 5′ is now being shopped around to several studios and Arnold Schwarzenegger is officially attached to star in the film – but is it time to steer this franchise in a new direction?

I’m going to restrain myself from making the obvious “I’ll be back…” joke, but suffice it to say – it looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger is indeed returning to the Terminator franchise.

The development of a fifth theatrical outing gained considerable momentum after Schwarzenegger announced his intentions to return to acting back in February.

Schwarzenegger was immediately inundated with offers after leaving office and Terminator 5 was one of the first projects he was rumored to be eyeing. Evidently, his desire to step back in front of the camera convinced Universal that this was the right time to relaunch the iconic franchise. They quickly tossed Fast Five director Justin Lin into the mix – and Lin later confirmed that he spoke with Schwarzenegger about appearing in the film.

Pacificor is now looking to finalize a deal for the financing and distribution of Terminator 5 and they’ve been shopping the project around to several studios. Lin is still attached to direct, but according to Deadline the real selling point is that Schwarzenegger is now officially on board as well.

Fast Five scribe Chris Morgan was reportedly involved with Terminator 5 at one point, but it looks like the film is currently without a writer. Robert Cort (Runaway Bride, Save the Last Dance) will produce and Deadline claims that Universal, Sony, and Lionsgate are already giving serious consideration to Pacificor’s package.

Schwarzenegger has been linked to several other films including Ji-Woon Kim’s The Last Stand and Antoine Fuqua’s The Tomb. There’s also the upcoming Governator animated series, comic book, and 3D feature film. The Terminator remains his most iconic character, however, and Terminator 5 would arguably put him back in the spotlight in a much more dramatic fashion.

Of course, the notion of Schwarzenegger returning to the series has left many of us wondering whether or not that would even work. I suppose a lot of it depends on how they decide to utilize him. Would he play a supporting (and non-cyborg) role while a younger actor (possibly Vin Diesel) does all of the heavy lifting? Or will Schwarzenegger slip on the leather jacket and sunglasses once again while the filmmakers offer a preposterous excuse for why The Terminator now looks like he’s sixty-three?

Honestly, if it’s the latter approach – count me out. I love the first two Terminator movies and I understand how iconic Schwarzenegger’s performance is – but isn’t it about time that someone makes a real effort to carry this franchise on without him? At this point, I’ve pretty much had my fill of John Connor stories and slight variations on the same basic plot template. Salvation definitely dropped the ball with its execution, but I think a story set during the Future War is still brimming with potential.

I know that Schwarzenegger’s involvement is a business decision first and foremost, but I really hope they find a way to use this opportunity to play with audience expectations and do something surprising with him.
"

This is such a bad idea. The only way this can be saved is if James Cameron and William Wisher are heavily involved in the writing of the movie and I can't see that happening. This series should just be allowed to die now. I don't know how many people here will have seen this deleted scene from Rise of the Machines:

But that's just one example for me why the writing is complete shite. I know its 'suppose' to be funny but for me its not. No more please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update from Screenrant:

Given the public hoopla surrounding his recent divorce and revealed infidelity, it wasn’t a real shock when Arnold Schwarzenegger decided to delay his return to acting. Although he had become associated with projects like Cry Macho and The Last Stand by that time, it was the seemingly Schwarzenegger-centric Terminator 5 that looked to be all but indefinitely delayed due to the aging action star/former governor’s retreat from the limelight.

However, that is apparently not the case. Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Films managed to secure the screen rights for two more Terminator movies – and the company is reportedly moving ahead with the fifth installment in the sci-fi franchise, in spite of Schwarzenegger’s departure.

What’s Playing says that although Schwarzenegger is said to be up for “a fairly substantial role” in Termiantor 5, the film would actually be anchored by a younger male lead. Combine that with word that the project continues the trend set by previous Terminator pictures (and the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show) by involving “the original timeline being torn, again” – and it becomes all the more clear as to how the fifth installment can move forward without Schwarzenegger.

Director Justin Lin remains attached to Terminator 5, which he previously admitted could conceivably feature his Fast and the Furious star Vin Diesel in a pivotal role. However, current rumors peg Lin’s other Fast Five leading man (Paul Walker) as being floated as a possibility to headline the Terminator franchise for the time being.

Walker as the anchor for Terminator 5 doesn’t exactly sound all that appealing – and whether he’d be an improvement on Sam Worthington in Terminator: Salvation (or just more of the same) is up for debate. However, his potential involvement should be considered strictly RUMOR at this point, and nothing more.

Could Walker star in 'Terminator 5'?

While Lin has admitted before that little is set in stone with respect to Terminator 5 right now, he also dismissed rumors concerning an original Terminator cast reunion in the film. The project in its current form is actually said to feature the return of several original Terminator characters, including the likes of Kyle Reese – and, it would seem, possibly even a younger Sarah Connor. If that is the case, then comparisons to J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek reboot seem all the more appropriate.

The big question concerning Terminator 5 is whether or not the time-travel angle is really the proper way to go again. A number of Terminator fans have already expressed their desire to see the post-Judgement Day storyline set in motion in Salvation continued on and expanded upon in the franchise’s next installment; additionally, the overly-convoluted nature of the Terminator timeline doesn’t seem to lend itself to a “complete reboot” to the same degree that Star Trek did.

Even with Terminator 5 inching ever closer to actually becoming a sure thing, there are still multiple directions that Lin (or whoever ends up ultimately sitting in the director’s chair) could go with it. The film could continue to cover the future war between humanity and Skynet; feature another attempt by the machines to wipe out the young John Connor and his loved ones; or it could essentially amount to a reboot starring Paul Walker. Take all that as you will.

We’ll keep you posted on the status of Terminator 5 as more information is released.

From Arnie himself:
“I can’t say to much they want it held in secret if you know what I mean, but I will say that next year I will start filming it and it’s going to be one of the hardest films I have ever done I can tell you that already for sure”

“… they have six months set aside just for filming, so I will be training and getting into the best physical shape I possibly can before filming starts. It does follow Salvation although some of the producers and franchise owner were not too happy about the job McG did with it but they felt it was good enough to continue on and they want the fifth and sixth installments to be the closing of the franchise.

From CBM:
Deadline is reporting that the next Terminator film has writers. Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier have been tapped to tackle the next Terminator film, that will hope to see Arnold Schwarzenegger back. Megan Ellison bought the rights to the Terminator franchise a while back, and has enlisted the help of her brother, David, and his company Skydance to bring the future project to the big screen.

Kalogridis' has a long and successful list of writing credits including Avatar, Shutter Island and Alexander. While Lssuier has had his share of writing assignments too with Wes Craven’s Dracula and My Bloody Valentine. No word on when they hope to start production or a release date. Schwarzenegger has stated his desire to do another Terminator film, but recently has been frustrated by the lack of progress on the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.