Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 8, 2018
Purchase links: HMV - Amazon - Zavvi
Price: £17.99

91SC-tp22mL._SX522_.jpg

91O55SNLsvL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this and the Criterion release. Picture and sound are identical. No question it's the new 4k release..... I do think we'll see a 4k release at some stage. The glorious technicolor hues are crying out for 4k but I also think only selected old films will get the treatment for obvious reasons.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I have this and the Criterion release. Picture and sound are identical. No question it's the new 4k release..... I do think we'll see a 4k release at some stage. The glorious technicolor hues are crying out for 4k but I also think only selected old films will get the treatment for obvious reasons.

so if im understanding you right this is the new 4k scan put on a normal bluray but not on an actual 4k disc correct?

basil :thumbs:

so if im understanding you right this is the new 4k scan put on a normal bluray but not on an actual 4k disc correct?

basil :thumbs:
Yes
It's a 4K scan restoration of the negative and is a Blu-ray disc release

4K scan restoration of films does not mean a release will be 4K UHD

Negative or interpositive scans can be 2K/4K/6K/8K etc they then use that scan to do a restoration

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Thanks
Reactions: spookz and Basil
happy days. :) i'd say this is an adequate release of a great film. if only this had more extras and a booklet (a proper one, with text, essays, etc :rolleyes:). but as it is, i'm fairly happy. more in-hand pics below for those interested.
here's your back credentials. interestingly, it doesn't mention restoration anywhere on or in the dics, and on testing the disc, i can't say it look especially restored to me, but i've never actually owned this before, so have no comparison.
i do like the approach they have taken to the steelbook - while at the same time not being sure if i like it at all! :LOL::confused: i do like the colours and the overall 'shimmer' effect it's got:
the whole steelbook finish has this sort of 'half light streaming down from heaven' look' which is in keeping with the film and i quite like, but to some may look like a failed glossing attempt. the two screencap aspects on the back look very cut and pasted as a result in certain lights:
the inside art is well reproduced:
i'm just looking forward to watching this again. :thumbs: should you get this? i think it will entirely depend on your preference for solid extras and your opinion on the finish...

Many thanks for the detailed post/photos. :thumbs:

I had high hopes for this as I really love the artwork, but they've completely ruined it with that finish IMO. (n)

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Many thanks for the detailed post/photos. :thumbs:

I had high hopes for this as I really love the artwork, but they've completely ruined it with that finish IMO. (n)
I agree. I know you're trying to love this one because you so badly want to love it, @virkia , but it's a disappointing steel for a great film that now probably won't ever get a better steel. This, combined with The Red Shoes also being an uninteresting steel, combined with the better features on the Criterion disc, all add up to: no, thank you. :( There are just too many really good steels coming out now to spend time and money on so-so, even for favorite films.

I agree. I know you're trying to love this one because you so badly want to love it, @virkia , but it's a disappointing steel for a great film that now probably won't ever get a better steel. This, combined with The Red Shoes also being an uninteresting steel, combined with the better features on the Criterion disc, all add up to: no, thank you. :( There are just too many really good steels coming out now to spend time and money on so-so, even for favorite films.
Yeah, the only positive to this replacing the originally announced UK Criterion release was that artwork, and then they even go and mess that up! Oh well, guess I'll just import the US Criterion instead.

Well, it's certainly not every day that you get a bona fide classic Brit flic in a steelbook and for me personally it's cause for the same kind of celebration that I gave for THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP steelbook . . . and for the run of 10 or so classic Hollywood films w/ original poster art steelbooks from January, 2013 including THE MALTESE FALCON, GRAND HOTEL, CASABLANCA, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, BEN-HUR, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE etc. . . . or that I give for a Studio Ghibli / a Disney classics steelbook release.

Apart from that I'd never diss this particular steelbook as I kind of like the unconventional front which has been blended well with the classic stairway to/from heaven scene on the back . . . also don't mind that/can see the reasoning why our hero and heroine are more defined than the rest of the characters in the room and on the staircase as the scene is extremely Peter and June centric.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
Think of the pain you'll feel when it's £7.99 next month. ;)
Yeah:LOL: gotta roll with the punches....I have some steelbooks that I bought blind, and ended up not liking the movie, and thought I was stuck with a steelbook for a movie I didn't like..,.and lo and behold it becomes a valuable steelbook....
It all evens out!;)