Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 8, 2018
Purchase links: HMV - Amazon - Zavvi
Price: £17.99

91SC-tp22mL._SX522_.jpg

91O55SNLsvL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, considering there are so many instantly recognisable images from the movie, I can't find much to like about the artwork. But I love the movie so I'll buy the steelbook.

Amazon UK also now £17.99
I'm just waiting on amazon to drop the prices to £17.99 on the other ITV steelbooks

Amazon recently have been getting slower to match HMV prices

@paulboland any mention if they are going to use 4k resto release on this? or is it the old stock using up

cheers
basil :thumbs:
I don't know to be honest I not seen any details yet regarding if they using criterion remaster
It's first time though getting a Blu-ray release in UK but I don't have any details of the release yet

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil
It's a shame it's not glossy, because other than that, this whole thing looks beautiful. Will probably still be good anyway.

EDIT: Well...the fact that the clouds are exactly the same on front and back is lousy. But still...I want this release to be beautiful! haha

Looks like the release date on this is now pushed back to October 1.

• Haha
Reactions: Headhunter
It's a shame it's not glossy, because other than that, this whole thing looks beautiful. Will probably still be good anyway.

EDIT: Well...the fact that the clouds are exactly the same on front and back is lousy. But still...I want this release to be beautiful! haha

Looks like the release date on this is now pushed back to October 1.
I would wait till in hand to confirm the finish
Zero finish details comes from scanavo website but they have been wrong before in regards to finish details they list

Reactions: ethnosax
Charming images throughout and I say middle finger up to anyone poking fun at the front artwork as for example:-
1536925654672.png

'Tis a love story after all.

A taster of the other equally charming AMoLaD :-

Description
A Matter of Life and Death was restored in 4K by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Inspection, repair and 4K scanning of the 35mm Nitrate 3-Strip Technicolor Picture Negative by Cineric, Inc., New York. Soundtrack restored from the 35mm Nitrate Variable Density Optical Soundtrack Negative at Deluxe Audio, Hollywood. Digital image restoration by L’Immagine Ritrovato, Bologna, Italy and MTI Film, Hollywood. Digital conforming, color grading, additional image restoration, DCP and UHD at Deluxe Culver City with colorist Sheri Eisenberg.
If they mention this, then surly it will be 4K

Description
A Matter of Life and Death was restored in 4K by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Inspection, repair and 4K scanning of the 35mm Nitrate 3-Strip Technicolor Picture Negative by Cineric, Inc., New York. Soundtrack restored from the 35mm Nitrate Variable Density Optical Soundtrack Negative at Deluxe Audio, Hollywood. Digital image restoration by L’Immagine Ritrovato, Bologna, Italy and MTI Film, Hollywood. Digital conforming, color grading, additional image restoration, DCP and UHD at Deluxe Culver City with colorist Sheri Eisenberg.
If they mention this, then surly it will be 4K
Yes It's the new 4K scan restoration
Blu-ray release

Quite charming an' all but looks more 'metallic' with colours more muted than I was expecting . . . still, a nice blend of old and new looking images do not harm the overall aesthetic . . . of course great to see the "Stairway to Heaven" somewhere on the product w/ the recreation on the back of one of the most important and moving scenes in the film.

Pics courtesy BR.com:-
1540513715342.png
1540513677381.png

Insides + J-card:-
(Not exactly a classic love pose but charming nonetheless . . . Special Features look to be a little thin on the ground).
1540513768640.png
1540514694200.png

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
happy days. :) i'd say this is an adequate release of a great film. if only this had more extras and a booklet (a proper one, with text, essays, etc :rolleyes:). but as it is, i'm fairly happy. more in-hand pics below for those interested.
here's your back credentials. interestingly, it doesn't mention restoration anywhere on or in the dics, and on testing the disc, i can't say it look especially restored to me, but i've never actually owned this before, so have no comparison.
i do like the approach they have taken to the steelbook - while at the same time not being sure if i like it at all! :LOL: :confused: i do like the colours and the overall 'shimmer' effect it's got:
the whole steelbook finish has this sort of 'half light streaming down from heaven' look' which is in keeping with the film and i quite like, but to some may look like a failed glossing attempt. the two screencap aspects on the back look very cut and pasted as a result in certain lights:
the inside art is well reproduced:
i'm just looking forward to watching this again. :thumbs: should you get this? i think it will entirely depend on your preference for solid extras and your opinion on the finish...