A Monster Calls (Blu-ray SteelBook) (FNAC Exclusive) [France]

Release date: May 31, 2017
Purchase link: FNAC
Price: €19.99

1507-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered if there might be something else in the works, after the Zavvi one was canceled. :) I look forward to more info on this--thanks for the find, ariba266!

Ladies and gents it might be worthwhile signing the petition to Metropolitan on the French site regarding stopping the printed banners and excessive printing of logos etc. on their steelbooks.
Luckily the habit was dropped years ago in my territory but it still goes on elsewhere . . .

LIEN VERS LA PÉTITION

I would have bought this INSTANTLY if it didn't have the french text and logos everywhere... Too bad.
Same for me. I totally expected the temp art to be replaced by something more interesting than this. Ah well--money saved. :) And plenty of room for a premium company to put together something a lot better.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Yes, all a bit shocking with this the only steelbook confirmed for the film at the time of writing and the stunning U.K. steelbook apparently cancelled (although hopefully just delayed like that handful including SAW from last year).
Would truly love to see this film in a steelbook in the U.K. with those wonderful Jim Kay B/W illustrations.:-
II
V

• Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
I would have bought this INSTANTLY if it didn't have the french text and logos everywhere... Too bad.

Just for your information.

Do not hope to see one day a French steelbook without French title. If France translated the title, it will always be in French.

Which is normal in fact ...

Do not hope to see one day a French steelbook without French title. If France translated the title, it will always be in French.

This is not always true. Example: The Shallows, translated for the cinema but not for the steelbook. This is true for national publishers (Metropolitan, etc.).

Frankly, the French title is the least of this steelbook's problems. The biggest disappointment is that such a vibrant, visually interesting, art-focused movie is represented by such a bland, static image.

And I know, in this case the problem is that the official movie posters, of which this is one, were also really bland (which didn't help attract people to see the movie). As @virkia said, the original mock-up from Zavvi that used the book illustrations would be a nice choice for this, since a lot of people who liked the movie probably came to it with a love of the book.

I get that in France it should have French text. But for my needs of a steelbook for this movie. I wish it didn't have any.

Living in Canada, almost everything has bilingual text on it and it really frustrates me, I'll actually buy blu-rays from the USA just to avoid it.

It's not as bad as the jpeg previews indicated, but still . . . all that text, and the bar across the top. I wish I was more hopeful about a premium retailer picking this up for a nice WEA edition, but it's not a very big title.

The artwork itself is pretty good, but way too many writings there plus that bar on top :vomit:...no, not even full gloss won´t overcome that. Back art is nice :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
A few more pics for the complete picture:-

Certainly not the best artwork for the front . . . although back art looks good with image as if seen through a telescope . . . nowt wrong with the inside artwork . . . and cool complementary disc artwork to complete the package.
Excessive print on the front - top, middle and bottom - takes the shine off the steelbook to a certain extent as does the printed banner header (hopefully one of the very last we'll ever see from Metropolitan).

• Thanks
Reactions: moon and Dan
That Metropolitan blue banner has been there for years lol. It's been there for so long I think most have got used to it over the years.....