Release date: August 13th, 2018
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £29.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey HERE

01-484072.png

71u47BM0KuL._SL1500_.jpg
81ELoPTBkfL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree with you, and I think this release and justice league are the straws that broke the camels back. The past year has seen a fast decline in the quality of steelbook releases, terrible artwork, poor screenings, lacklustre colours, no side titles, no front titles, random pop art, lack of debossing or embossing, and awful finishes, exacerbated by price hikes where steelbook have risen to almost double the price point.

Retailers haven't failed to notice steelbook collectors paying a higher price point for releases from kimchi, manta lab and blu fans, and are now pushing their luck to see what they can get away with.

Point is, those manufacturers produce high end, glossy, debossed/embossed, quality steelbook said with art booklets, lenticular slipcase, pet slips, stickers and a range of extras. With standard bland steelbooks now creeping quickly towards those prices despite having NONE of this, I just refuse to support it and ENABLE it.

I loved this film, I thought it was great, but as a steelbook collector for many many years, and with my focus being the standard blu ray and 3D, I have no need for the 4K disc, and the artwork on the amarays the past year has been far superior, so why would I pay double for bland artwork 'just because it's metal'.

I'm actually ashamed and embarrassed for myself looking through my collection to just how many steelbooks I have purchased that have had terrible artwork, but because I'm a steelbook collector I opted for that version over the amaray version. What the hell was I thinking? How much money have I wasted on subpar releases just for the sake of them being in a metal case? I shudder to think.

I've made a rule with myself that I will only purchase steels that truly feel like the 'premium definitive' release a film deserves now. I will not enable more cheap skate poorly designed fodder to grace my shelves because it just enables studios to continue ploughing out this rubbish. Such a shame for such a great film.

Very good post and I'm starting to come around to that thinking now - you sort of get hooked on it, but I don't need to buy it just because it's a steel

Completely agree with you, and I think this release and justice league are the straws that broke the camels back. The past year has seen a fast decline in the quality of steelbook releases, terrible artwork, poor screenings, lacklustre colours, no side titles, no front titles, random pop art, lack of debossing or embossing, and awful finishes, exacerbated by price hikes where steelbook have risen to almost double the price point.

Retailers haven't failed to notice steelbook collectors paying a higher price point for releases from kimchi, manta lab and blu fans, and are now pushing their luck to see what they can get away with.

Point is, those manufacturers produce high end, glossy, debossed/embossed, quality steelbook said with art booklets, lenticular slipcase, pet slips, stickers and a range of extras. With standard bland steelbooks now creeping quickly towards those prices despite having NONE of this, I just refuse to support it and ENABLE it.

I loved this film, I thought it was great, but as a steelbook collector for many many years, and with my focus being the standard blu ray and 3D, I have no need for the 4K disc, and the artwork on the amarays the past year has been far superior, so why would I pay double for bland artwork 'just because it's metal'.

I'm actually ashamed and embarrassed for myself looking through my collection to just how many steelbooks I have purchased that have had terrible artwork, but because I'm a steelbook collector I opted for that version over the amaray version. What the hell was I thinking? How much money have I wasted on subpar releases just for the sake of them being in a metal case? I shudder to think.

I've made a rule with myself that I will only purchase steels that truly feel like the 'premium definitive' release a film deserves now. I will not enable more cheap skate poorly designed fodder to grace my shelves because it just enables studios to continue ploughing out this rubbish. Such a shame for such a great film.

What a great post, well done for summing up everything wrong with steelbook collecting right now. I've agreed with these points for a while, but it amazes me that they are still finding new ways to make things even worse for us. Previous years have brought atrocities like title-less spines and minimalist pop-art. This year we get mandatory 4K discs and 2nd generation pop art (The Equalizer) to add the the list of problems. It really sucks :(.

Perfection

Wonder if FA might use it for one of their slips....

So much better then the official artwork , would definetley buy it !

That's the best possible, using only the official artwork. Nice job on the spine, especially--I like that a lot. :)
I actually started this one a while back (before the official steel was announced), but I wasn't feeling it... even now I'm still not sure lol.

The spine is a continuation of the front art by the way... unless I do a full wraparound design then I usually do the spine separately, but I also thought it worked well in this case.

Thanks all! :happy:

I'm sorry but in all artwork, that hand over the face pose Emily Blunt is doing just makes me think "whoever smelt it dealt it"

Spot on post. This is exactly what I’ve been thinking for the last year and a half and just before I read your post I posted the same thing in the Predator FAC thread, albeit a short statment but a point I think a lot of collectors are starting to think now.

No way will I be paying £30 for this monstrosity

Reactions: rockntoni87
I'm fine with the current artwork, but Noodles mock-up is always great. Praying that Canada bestbuy will have this.. :dunno:

Canada Best Buy does have the 4K steelbook for this...for only $24.99 CANADIAN!
That's like what? $15 cheaper?

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan