Ad Astra (Possible Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No.?) [Hong Kong]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really great film with a fantastic performance from Brad. It's a shame it doesn't get much love
for me, slow and contemplative films are not boring

No one said all slow and contemplative films are boring. Just this one

besides, we really really care about films today? lol just give us an awesome steelbook and we will buy it lol

hmmm, still got to be a good film. I’ve passed on loads of great steels for sh!t films. I’m past the I buy everything stage of steel collecting now

Last edited:
I guess those who didn't appreciate this film are limited to the IQ of Marvel
A little bit controversial, don't you think?

I'm very disappointed Ad Astra is not getting the premium treatment. Like a good few other Ninjas, I too enjoyed this movie a whole lot. Such a shame ML couldn't reach an agreement with the studios over the visuals (?). I guess the next best thing to a "premium" release is the Korean slipcover:

ad astra.jpg

Too bad it isn't included in Nova's Winter Festival Sale.

Great film but I understand the people who didn't like it. It needs a better cut in my opinion with some of the voice overs removed. A bit like Blade Runner. I believe this could be truly great if its polished a little at the end of the second act and as I said, some (not all) of the voice overs should be scrapped.

All those saying this is a great film, or that could be great... come on... out of all space movies (not including MCU :LOL: ), how high do you really rate this?
I love the genre myself. But this one is pretty low on my list, so low it doesn't even make it to a must watch again list, let alone a must watch over and over list. Without giving too much away, that last part with the jump was beyond absurd.

Great film but I understand the people who didn't like it. It needs a better cut in my opinion with some of the voice overs removed. A bit like Blade Runner. I believe this could be truly great if its polished a little at the end of the second act and as I said, some (not all) of the voice overs should be scrapped.

I was really looking forward to it. And in some scenes the cinematography is great but it just did not do it for me. I was expecting so much more. And I don’t mean an over the top explosive sci fi. Also that ending LOL!
Literally my favourite films this year are the lighthouse, parasite, invisible man and Palm Springs. But then those 4 are incredibly close to marvel, some would say Descendants....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just remembered there’s been no new marvel releases this year. My yearly favourite list has been compromised... checkmate toward me! Touché to everyone else who liked this.... :confused:

Edit: this wasn’t even released the year! Wtf am I on about.

This thread has shown me that people have different opinions about movies. :)

As far as Ad Astra, I like a lot of the emotional arc of the main character having to confront his own flaws. Though the conflict and conclusion with the father is too on the nose, it still resonates with me. The movie has a lot of "middle-aged guy" stuff that makes sense to me, being a middle-aged guy. Music, sound design, and cinematography are all gorgeous, and I find the pacing intriguing. Plot-wise, there are several problems that nearly derail what I like about the movie. That's true of most space movies, no matter how much the prerelease PR claims that "this one is totally realistic!" No space movie will ever be 2001, of course, but I'd rank Ad Astra in the neighborhood of Gravity. Probably a little below Gravity, but close.

Fair enough if you do like it ethnosax, we all like different films and for different reasons, you're completely right. I have to respect that.
I wasn't going to buy this anyway (once I watched it) but if I was it would suck that it has now been cancelled.
Apollo 13 was recently cancelled by another retailer, which I would have purchased 100%, so I can relate.

Just for the record, I would of still bought this because I collect all manta releases but this would of been their first release I wouldn’t of 100% been a fan of so that’s why I’m not bothered about it being cancelled but like @DMD4k says it’s still sh!t for those who did enjoy it and wanted a premium

Just for the record, I would of still bought this because I collect all manta releases but this would of been their first release I wouldn’t of 100% been a fan of so that’s why I’m not bothered about it being cancelled but like @DMD4k says it’s still sh!t for those who did enjoy it and wanted a premium
How many times do you need to be told?! :bored: :p

would_of_could_of_should_of.png

Status
Not open for further replies.