May 3, 2011
Montreal
Release date: May 19th, 2015
Purchase link: American Sniper
Price: $26.99

17163077.jpg

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Last edited:
North America has its own factory so pretty much all our releases come from there. Unfortunately, that factory produces the lowest quality steelbooks imho. Cheap grainy matte finishes and even the gloss ones are a step below the Worldwide releases. Im really disappointed with the finish of 95% of all the recent US releases from the past couple years.

Except for the Target LUCY and INTERSTELLAR, and Best Buy's GOTG. Those are great! Most of the others have been average.

Except for the Target LUCY and INTERSTELLAR, and Best Buy's GOTG. Those are great! Most of the others have been average.

And don't forget that awesome Target Exclusive release of Big Hero 6 :)

Back on topic - I like how the US SteelBooks of these war-themed movies are given the matte finish treatment to align with the military persona of the main characters as in Fury and Lone Survivor where they appear in the artwork.

Reactions: digitalbabe
North America has its own factory so pretty much all our releases come from there. Unfortunately, that factory produces the lowest quality steelbooks imho. Cheap grainy matte finishes and even the gloss ones are a step below the Worldwide releases. Im really disappointed with the finish of 95% of all the recent US releases from the past couple years.

Yeah, the saddest part is that it didnt use to be like that, I think at one point they all came from one place. I remember steelbooks being mostly available in other countries and people complaining that the US didnt receive enough. Be careful what you wish, I guess. Even when a US steelbook looks decent enough, all you gotta do is look at its international counterpart and you think "never mind". It took a little time to reach this decision, but I'm officially done with US steelbooks, I simply feel cheated paying for them when they're supposed to be a collectible and you're getting the inferior version. Worldwide steelbooks are also sometimes of lower quality, but not repeatedly like US ones.

I agree, most steelbooks that are U.S. Exclusives are of cheap quality. Should have gotten a European release to open because of the spot gloss finish on the back art. Probably saved some money by not importing but at $24.99 for this, probably not much saved.
Do we know for sure if the European version will be spot glossed?

I thought the only other version released at the minute was the Korean (which had the spot gloss)

I've an order in with HMV for this. I hope that has some glossing.

Do we know for sure if the European version will be spot glossed?

I thought the only other version released at the minute was the Korean (which had the spot gloss)

I've an order in with HMV for this. I hope that has some glossing.

Actually, no, I don't think we know if the European version will be spot glossed or a different finish altogether. I was thinking of the Korean release. If I had to guess though, I'm thinking the European versions will have spot gloss on the back art since Asia and Europe sometimes share the same finish on steelbooks while North America are different.

Reactions: BluSteel2012