Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: May 22, 2023
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £32.99

Ant Man and the Wasp  Quantumania.jpg
Ant Man with Jcard.jpg Ant Man Back.jpg Ant Man Inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So in terms of Zavvi exclusive steelbooks what studios actually still use Zavvi as their exclusive distributor? I know Paramount and WB don't use Zavvi, BBC don't use them, now Disney look to have jumped ship. I mean between the higher price point on standard releases, no longer shipped internationally and now losing those right, starting to look like there's no point in using them
It doesn't quite work like that... zavvi only had a blanket exclusivity contract with disney, for all steelbooks. That was a one off, other distributors seem to pick and choose between which retailers, depending on the release. So zavvi will still get plenty of exclusives, but it'll be on a case by case basis. It won't have any baring on studio or film.

It doesn't quite work like that... zavvi only had a blanket exclusivity contract with disney, for all steelbooks. That was a one off, other distributors seem to pick and choose between which retailers, depending on the release. So zavvi will still get plenty of exclusives, but it'll be on a case by case basis. It won't have any baring on studio or film.
Still a lose for zavvi. Pair that with the higher price tags of late and no international shipping its still a wonder how they can continue to set physical media. I mean the pirates 4k set (not steelbook version) is £84.99 compared to the £75 on amazon and HMV. Standard amarys are at least £2-3 more expensive depending on the title. Now this.

Reactions: astycorax
Still a lose for zavvi. Pair that with the higher price tags of late and no international shipping its still a wonder how they can continue to set physical media. I mean the pirates 4k set (not steelbook version) is £84.99 compared to the £75 on amazon and HMV. Standard amarys are at least £2-3 more expensive depending on the title. Now this.
No idea on the pricing mate. Zavvi have never been very competitive on amarays, until there's a sale, of which there are many lol they turned international shipping back on for Leon, so who knows when it'll come back in for more items..

Zavvi will be fine, it's not like hmv ship internationally either. Aside from wakanda and encanto, phase 4 and animation steels have sold very poorly recently. This will be no different, so it's no big loss. Have to see what happens longer term.

I didn't really rate this movie. In fact, I haven't enjoyed a Marvel film for a while now. Have high hopes for Guardians though
Guardians 3 and Super Mario Bros are my 2 most anticipated movies of 2023! That team is gonna end their trilogy & go out with a bang I'm certain of

Nothing worse than NEWBS!!!! Original phase 1 Marvel steels were all HMV!
No they weren’t. Iron man was a play exclusive

Thor, captain America and avengers was. Can’t remember with iron man 2 if that was play or HMV but iron man was 100% not a HMV exclusive

Reactions: Noodles
No they weren’t. Iron man was a play exclusive

Thor, captain America and avengers was. Can’t remember with iron man 2 if that was play or HMV but iron man was 100% not a HMV exclusive
Wrong, I picked up Iron Man 1 in HMV on release day, was £29! I worked 5 mins walk from local store and went there every lunchtime. I picked up Thor, Cap and Iron Man all in-store. Play version came almost 12 months later, same steel but second edition.

• Haha
Reactions: Flloydo
Wrong, I picked up Iron Man 1 in HMV on release day, was £29! I worked 5 mins walk from local store and went there every lunchtime. I picked up Thor, Cap and Iron Man all in-store. Play version came almost 12 months later, same steel but second edition.
I don't recall HMV getting Iron Man.

I do however remember the whole 'which is better, Futureshop or Play?' debate. Is there a thread here about HMV's release?

I'm pretty convinced that Iron Man and Iron Man 2 were Play exclusives on their initial release. By the time Iron Man 3 came out, Zavvi had the MCU exclusives.

Now it's been mentioned, I recall getting Thor, CA:TFA and Avengers Assemble from HMV. Only AE was a Disney release of the 3, but, like Iron Man 3 still carried Paramount branding for legal reasons.

I don't recall HMV getting Iron Man.

I do however remember the whole 'which is better, Futureshop or Play?' debate. Is there a thread here about HMV's release?

I'm pretty convinced that Iron Man and Iron Man 2 were Play exclusives on their initial release. By the time Iron Man 3 came out, Zavvi had the MCU exclusives.

Now it's been mentioned, I recall getting Thor, CA:TFA and Avengers Assemble from HMV. Only AE was a Disney release of the 3, but, like Iron Man 3 still carried Paramount branding for legal reasons.
I bought IM1 and 2 in HMV. I didn't use play at the time at all.

It's fairly obvious to original collectors, Play wouldn't have got either till much later, HMV and Paramount had a deal. All Phase 1 titles HMV got first. I remember when I started to collect properly and Play got IM 1/2 it was later, much later!

Last edited:
Why aren't we seeing premiums of Phase 4 or Phase 5 MCU? I thought Disney lined up a new physical release partnership with Manta Lab or another respectable company to do some premiums for the current/ future phases.

I bought IM1 and 2 in HMV. I didn't use play at the time at all.

It's fairly obvious to original collectors, Play wouldn't have got either till much later, HMV and Paramount had a deal. All Phase 1 titles HMV got first. I remember when I started to collect properly and Play got IM 1/2 it was later, much later!

Phase One MCU UK releases
Iron Man 1 and 2 was Play exclusive (Paramount Films) as was The Incredible Hulk (Universal Films)
Those SteelBooks was released in 2012
There was no UK Iron Man Blu-ray SteelBooks before the Play releases
DVD SteelBooks don't apply
Amaray with Metal Slipcover don't apply as they not SteelBooks
There was Iron Man Blu-ray SteelBooks releases in other countries but not in UK before 2012

When Play shut down it's retail businness in 2013 a lot of the leftover SteelBooks stock was given to Zavvi/Amazon/HMV and some other retailers in UK/Ireland
That's how you could purchase from those retailers

In regards to MCU Phase 1
HMV had Steelbook exclusives for Thor/Captain America: The First Avenger (Paramount Films releases) released in 2011
HMV also had exclusive The Avengers aka Avengers Assemble SteelBook in UK that was the very first film in MCU that was distributed by Disney released in 2012

HMV went into administration 2013 and with Play also shutting down their retail business 2013 and that led to Zavvi getting exclusive deal for all Disney UK SteelBooks

Also let to Paramount SteelBook re-releases with different artwork in 2013 of Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger been Zavvi Exclusive

Disney SteelBooks Zavvi Exclusive
The first been Who Framed Roger Rabbit SteelBook released in March 2013
That is why from MCU Phase 2 the films that was distributed by Disney the SteelBooks releases was exclusive to Zavvi
This is also how you got the Disney Collection and Pixar Collection SteelBooks etc from 2013

Zavvi had total exclusive deal in regards to all disney films that got a UK Steelbook release from 2013
Phase 2 first film was Iron Man 3 released in 2013 a Zavvi Exclusive

What has changed is Zavvi no longer have exclusive deal for all disney films releases in regards to SteelBooks
This is why HMV now have got exclusive for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Why aren't we seeing premiums of Phase 4 or Phase 5 MCU? I thought Disney lined up a new physical release partnership with Manta Lab or another respectable company to do some premiums for the current/ future phases.
Manta in theory have a discless contract for disney marvel, but they deleted all public correspondence regarding it and we've heard nothing since last July. That's pretty much your only hope, now that physical media has exited from all the asian premium regions & FAC/disney relationship is essentially over.

• Informative
Reactions: JRodDirector
Phase One MCU UK releases
Iron Man 1 and 2 was Play exclusive (Paramount Films) as was The Incredible Hulk (Universal Films)
Those SteelBooks was released in 2012
There was no UK Iron Man Blu-ray SteelBooks before the Play releases
DVD SteelBooks don't apply
Amaray with Metal Slipcover don't apply as they not SteelBooks
There was Iron Man Blu-ray SteelBooks releases in other countries but not in UK before 2012

When Play shut down it's retail businness in 2013 a lot of the leftover SteelBooks stock was given to Zavvi/Amazon/HMV and some other retailers in UK/Ireland
That's how you could purchase from those retailers

In regards to MCU Phase 1
HMV had Steelbook exclusives for Thor/Captain America: The First Avenger (Paramount Films releases) released in 2011
HMV also had exclusive The Avengers aka Avengers Assemble SteelBook in UK that was the very first film in MCU that was distributed by Disney released in 2012

HMV went into administration 2013 and with Play also shutting down their retail business 2013 and that led to Zavvi getting exclusive deal for all Disney UK SteelBooks

Also let to Paramount SteelBook re-releases with different artwork in 2013 of Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger been Zavvi Exclusive

Disney SteelBooks Zavvi Exclusive
The first been Who Framed Roger Rabbit SteelBook released in March 2013
That is why from MCU Phase 2 the films that was distributed by Disney the SteelBooks releases was exclusive to Zavvi
This is also how you got the Disney Collection and Pixar Collection SteelBooks etc from 2013

Zavvi had total exclusive deal in regards to all disney films that got a UK Steelbook release from 2013
Phase 2 first film was Iron Man 3 released in 2013 a Zavvi Exclusive

What has changed is Zavvi no longer have exclusive deal for all disney films releases in regards to SteelBooks
This is why HMV now have got exclusive for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

So how do you explain me buying Iron Man 1 and 2 steelbooks on release day..... in my local HMV... Good luck

I remember doing a mini GB for the Play.com exclusive Iron Man steels... would've been a whole lot easier for me back then if they were available in HMV!

I also remember how they cocked up the interior arts by putting the art for IM1 in the IM2 steel and vice-versa lol.

So how do you explain me buying Iron Man 1 and 2 steelbooks on release day..... in my local HMV... Good luck

So the member named @psychoscot seems to be questioning some else's sanity...

200.gif

I remember doing a mini GB for the Play.com exclusive Iron Man steels... would've been a whole lot easier for me back then if they were available in HMV!

I also remember how they cocked up the interior arts by putting the art for IM1 in the IM2 steel and vice-versa lol.

I seem remember helping a certain product buyer at Play.com vet the design of those steelbooks of IM1 and IM2...

I remember talking with play.com directly to source over 500 copies for our group buys...

Suspicious Season 2 GIF by Paramount+