Apocalypse Now - Final Cut (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Novamedia Exclusive #31) [Korea]

Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: August 13, 2021
Purchase links: Lenti - Full Slip - One Click (Pre-order July 30, at 10 PM - Korea time)
Price: $98.99 (Lenti or Full Slip) - $197.98 (One Click)
Group buy: hosted by Aniv Lenti - Full Slip - One Click
Note: Full Slip 1000 copies - Lenti 1000 copies

41D2EF31-A175-4DD3-898C-61F84363DF47.jpegFB70B7A1-87BC-4EDB-BB40-7136F266ECA7.jpega91b9375dbb4447fe4611a52b06364db.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the price quite right for a WEA steelbook edition with 6 disks 2 on them being 4K UHD?

Isn't the price quite right for a WEA steelbook edition with 6 disks 2 on them being 4K UHD?
I think it's a little high personally, but I suppose it depends how you value all the discs within this set.

For example, nova charged $46 for the JW 4K single editions. So it's a question of, is an additional x4 blu-ray and x1 4k discs worth $53... I'd say no myself, more like $33 at a push.

Absolutely love the FS and lenti, front steel is great too but the back is a let down. That price though, hard pass

Not sure this was a good idea for nova. 6 discs is overkill. just don’t need them. Get rid of 4 of them and reduce that price massively. Just Keep the 4K discs (you can pick the other discs up if you really need them)

As much as I was looking forward to this title, as big is my disappointment.

1) The obvious: What were they thinking with the back of the steel? Terrible choice. I'd actually have preferred it to be plain black. The spine is in the same style and looks just as wrong.
2) Continuining with the spines, this time on the slips: they are just too crammed. I mean there's probably not much to be done about it since it's a collaboration between I've and Nova plus the studio wants to be there, too. It's an eyesore nevertheless.
3) I think the lenti artwork would work much better for the FS (and vice versa). It will probably still be fine, because I've (or rather their supplier) are good with lentis. Still, given the artwork, I doubt its potential can truly and fully unfold.
4) Credits for all three cuts on the backsides, names on the frontsides ... too much interference with the art, in my opinion.
5) I'm afraid they could be swayed by the colors to use holofoil on the back of the Lenti FS. While the colors certainly invite the use of it, it wouldn't go well with the movie at all. I sincerely hope they are not falling for it!

As Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite movies of all time and because I have confidence in I've / Nova, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for a copy despite the hefty price and my criticism. Nova better share some preview shots before the PO, though. I definitely won't go for both. The price is questionable for a single copy alone, no matter the six discs (with two of them being UHDs). (When I saw the announcement on FB this morning, at first glance I thought that would be the set price for both slips, not for the individual copies.)

Last edited:
Obviously this could've been better but I'm still really glad that they managed to get the rights for the original artwork, as I was afraid they'd use that godawful new mondo artwork that was on the final cut wwa steelbook. I'll find a way to somehow order this, despite the price. It's just a masterpiece. A premium for this was long overdue.

Reactions: Space Cadet
Absolutely love the FS and lenti, front steel is great too but the back is a let down. That price though, hard pass

Not sure this was a good idea for nova. 6 discs is overkill. just don’t need them. Get rid of 4 of them and reduce that price massively. Just Keep the 4K discs (you can pick the other discs up if you really need them)

Perhaps contractually they had to include all 6 discs? All the other final cut 4K sets I can think of (US digipak, European steelbook) all have the 2 4K discs and 4 blu-rays. Am I missing a release that doesn’t have the 6 discs?

That said, markup here does seem rather extreme. I’d have to check but I’m pretty sure the steelbook and US digipak cost me less than $50 combined.

I remember when plain archive released planet earth for a similar price and that went straight into the bargain bin

Not sure what happened there with the price... I already have all of those discs that i bought from Amazon for like $10.
Editions look gorgeous though.

Kind of respect the idea of a complete package, but wouldn't anyone really into this already have a truck load of versions?.... Overkill on the discs = price apocalypse

Not sure what happened there with the price... I already have all of those discs that i bought from Amazon for like $10.
Editions look gorgeous though.
It has probably more to do with the very small pressing of only 2000 steelbooks. It just costs more to press a small number and it could actually be similar to the Midsommar Japan situation, except that Apocalypse Now is a legendary film and this is the first premium release of it. I'll get one of them for sure and if its a good day I'll order both :)