Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jan 19, 2017
Release date: October 8, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order Live August 11 at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99
Note: Number #40 in disney collection per Facebook page.

38735619_2031983320147504_2638461833714860032_n.jpg

38799354_2031983420147494_4684449644959236096_n.jpg
38749801_2031983510147485_4567116477076865024_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I’m losing my mind. This is gloss. You can seen that in my pics. Light does not reflect the way it does on pretty much any other finish. I agree the blue is more metallic than say meet the robinsons but this is also gloss

Reactions: gaeljet
When I asked if this was a full gloss steelbook, all I was really looking to find out was whether this was shiny and not just spot gloss.

Sounds fully glossy to me so I'm happy.

Thank you all. :happy:

Reactions: gaeljet and Flloydo
Yup, arrived today and it's quite decent although the finish is more metallic than anything else.
Embossed title within the typical old school gold-edged frame is at least something . . . not in the same league as the delightful MEET THE ROBINSONS steelbook . . . overpriced by comparison.

^
If you re-read my post a bit more carefully you will see I referred to the ‘reflection’ as more metallic than gloss or varnish finish.

Full gloss, as any steelbook collector will tell you, does not need light manipulation(such as what you shown in your pictures prior) or reflection to show off its shine. It’s just there, in all it’s glaring beauty(when done right of course)

You’re free to call it what you will but am afraid you are still wrong and would be misleading other collectors in saying this is anything near a full gloss finish.
It’s more akin to a standard metallic finish/shine to be specific, to reiterate, it’s neither gloss or matte, but somewhere between.

But in steelbook collecting there are varying degrees of finish, such as there are many versions of embossing/debossing. Hence this is not a glossy steelbook.

Lights does reflect but as you say it’s not the same thing.
It’s merely a characteristic of chosen finish, IMO.

1539111663563.png

Last edited:
I think most of you are actually in agreement, but the language is tripping some people up. Here's a crappy infographic I made in MS Paint:
Steelbook Finishes.png

I left spot gloss of for simplicity's sake. This chart also does not account for base layers (usually white, but can be pearlescent (as seen on FAC's Prometheus & Deadpool 2) and perhaps others). I find that steels with a decent base layer appear to have a more glossy finish, as it creates a more reflective surface than areas with metallic sheen and grain poking through.

This chart also fails to account for the production differences from region to region. I'm fairly certain Scanavo Denmark is the only factory churning out gloss varnish steels. Gloss varnish steels have a really distinctive grain structure that is easily spotted under inspection.

The glossy steels out of China are also really easy to spot, as they feature a heavy, smooth gloss that produces more of a mirror effect. North American glossy steels are somewhere in between, with a high gloss finish and a subtle grain structure.

I thought I read that there was another Scanavo factory somewhere in central Europe, but now I can't find anything on it. Does anyone know where FAC has its WEA printed? I assume Denmark, but if there' is a factory in central Europe, I'm guessing they would have them printed there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willbar84
Scanavo only talks about 3 finishes, from Scanavo themselves:
"The choice of varnish applied will have a dramatic effect on colours. A gloss finish brings out brighter colours, and gives blacker blacks. Conversely a matte finish tends to create a subtler, more muted palette. Not only does the varnish dramatically affect the intensity of the colours, but it can have an impact on the tactile feel of the final SteelBook® product. Matt varnished SteelBook® cases for instance can feel wonderfully silky and sensual to the touch. Partial varnish options are also available, meaning, for instance, that a SteelBook® case that is mostly a matt finish could have selected elements given a gloss finish, which will highlight these further. Lastly, varnish techniques can be creatively used to apply a texture to the final design."
So gloss, matte varnish and matte.

Scanavo only talks about 3 finishes, from Scanavo themselves:
"The choice of varnish applied will have a dramatic effect on colours. A gloss finish brings out brighter colours, and gives blacker blacks. Conversely a matte finish tends to create a subtler, more muted palette. Not only does the varnish dramatically affect the intensity of the colours, but it can have an impact on the tactile feel of the final SteelBook® product. Matt varnished SteelBook® cases for instance can feel wonderfully silky and sensual to the touch. Partial varnish options are also available, meaning, for instance, that a SteelBook® case that is mostly a matt finish could have selected elements given a gloss finish, which will highlight these further. Lastly, varnish techniques can be creatively used to apply a texture to the final design."
So gloss, matte varnish and matte.
Scanavo currently has newly released steelbooks listed as being:
1. Glossy
2. Gloss Varnish
3. Matte
4. Zero
5. Spot Gloss (though this is usually listed as a "feature" along w/'bossing)

Unfortunately, Scanavo is rarely the best source for information about, well, Scanavo. :woot:

I do think "Gloss Varnish" is probably just what they're calling glossy steels coming out of Denmark these days, while "Glossy" applies to Asia and the Americas.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Listen guys, those who want full gloss just dip the steelbook in a bucket of gloss. And those who dont want gloss, dip it in a bucket of paint thinner.
:p

• Haha
Reactions: K.i.T
I just don’t want people buying this expecting proper full gloss a’la BluFans as it is far from that. Hence it’s not glossy.

Those that consider anything reflective, as gloss, then sure it could be considered such, but in terms of proper gloss finish, it is not. At least by steelbook standards.

@Flloydo You bloody liar! Telling us this is gloss when it's clearly a really, really shiny matte. :bored: :p

Last edited:
Why is it when I referred to this level of shine as gloss I get slated, so I learned the differance and when I try to forward this learning no one wants to know?

It’s not FULL gloss at all, but if you guys want to call it that, then be wrong.
No matter how you spin it, this is not a full , high end, proper gloss finish as far as steelbook collectors are concerned.
I don’t even want to call it a cheap varnish finish, but it is not finish-less. There is a shine to it yes, as I always agreed, but in the steelbook game there are degrees of gloss/varnish finishings with the lesser ones not being called gloss so as to distinguish them from the better, high end, true gloss finish.

Can’t find the thread now but it was explained to me that true gloss doesn’t need to be angled for you to see the glorious shine. This steelbook, needs to catch the light to show it’s minor shine. Ergo, not real gloss.

Am ware some of you might see this as being pedantic, but I used to make the same mistake myself. But fact is, when it comes to steels, there are a vast number of finishes and to many an OCD collector, this is not a gloss finish.
Sorry guys, I didn’t makes these rules.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DMD4k
yes there are not "glossed" the same, but it's not a zero finish or so for this one, we easily see the gloss and reflections, it 's a "regular" glossy finish if you want(way of speak, I git it that you re saying that there's almost not gloss on it..))

I think from now on I'm just going to ask, if I ask, if a steelbook is shiny. I don't care what the proper term is.
In fact, it doesn't matter to me even if it isn't shiny so I don't know why I asked. 3 things matter to me when it comes to a steelbook.

First, do I like the movie enough to want a steelbook for it?
Second, do I like the art?
Third, is it a decent price?

I do think "Gloss Varnish" is probably just what they're calling glossy steels coming out of Denmark these days, while "Glossy" applies to Asia and the Americas.

Almost true . . . although full gloss steelbooks are a rarity in the UK nowadays they are still being produced.
Admittedly the last true full gloss steelbook I bought was almost a year ago - VALERIAN - but as I don't buy them all at pre-order anymore there might be others full gloss more recent sitting and waiting for me on my Watch List.

As for these recent Zavvi Disney Classics steelbooks I think it can be safely said that they are/will be in a "gloss varnish" finish . . . when put alongside one of the early Zavvi Disney Classics steelbooks such as BAMBI - or indeed the aforementioned VALERIAN steelbook - the difference in finish is easy to see.

Last edited: