Best Irish Red Style Beer?

Apr 7, 2011
Glendale, AZ
So, in my college days... Killian's Irish Red was my favorite beer.

Then a "Hops Restaurant" opened near me... it was a mini-brewery/restaurant --- kinda like a Gordon Biersch. The type of place where you could buy a gallon jug to bring beer home in.

They had a beer they brewed, called "Thoroughbred Red" that was in the same vein as Killian's, but it totally blew it away. Sadly, I moved away (and I think that location closed anyway), so I can't get this beer anymore.

I think the main difference was freshness... you could taste a bit of sweet apple, in the place of the usual bitterness I taste in the usual Killian's/Smidwicks type beers. It's totally ruined me for Killian's now. :(

... Well, not totally, but you know what I mean. ;)

Anyone have any suggestions of similar beers I could try? I'm not much of a beer buff, so all I'll ever really found were Killian's and Smithwick's.

Interesting, though I have nothing of merit to say ........ except, maybe O_C , Splax, Mac or Ill will be able to help you. Those guys know a lot about beer ;)

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

I just know I like to drink it! :)

I haven't tried too many Irish Reds, but you should be able to find one in your area. Check out Beeradvocate.com. They have a search function that allows you to look up local places. There is one at the top right, and another on the left side bar under "Travel & Events". Most of the time the listing will even tell you what beers that brewery makes.

Also, the gallon jug you mentioned, most microbreweries will sell them. They are called growlers. I finally picked one up a few weeks ago from my favorite local brewery, Morgan Street Brewery, filled with their lagered honey wheat. It was $9 for the first fill and then $5 or $6 for a refill.

Last but not least, if you can't find anything that you like locally, brew your own. It can be as easy or as complex as you want it to be. I've been brewing since December, and love it. I'll probably hit the supply shop this weekend. I want to have two styles on hand for the next couple of months. Probably going for a Boulevard Wheat clone and a black ale like New Belgium's 1554.

Reactions: JPBoston
I'm really not a fan of the Reds. I'll drink them if that's the only option but I find they leave my breathe extra smelly and my mouth real nasty. dunno what does it but it happenes with every one I've tried so far.

I'm not a huge fan of Irish red's so I can't recommend one that may be suitable for you. I can say that the most likely reason for the beer at Hops tasting so good is that it was fresh and most likely not pasteurized either. Since they dont ship it anywhere and brew it at the restaurant, you get good quality beer. We used to have a hops here but it closed about a year ago :(

Thanks for the link, Off. I had used that site a long time ago, but totally forgot about it. :)

I found a place called Rock Bottom near me --- I might have to stop by today and bring home a growler.

Troegs Nugget Nectar which is an Imperial Red Ale about 7-8% abv is my absolute favorite red ale. Nice malty sweetness with slight hops bitterness in the finish.

I am not too sure what breweries distribute out by you but I may be able to make a few suggestions. A lot of peoples go to is New Belgium Fat Tire which is an amber ale. I myself think its pretty good but not the greatest. Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale is a solid beer has more hop bitterness though. Bell's Amber Ale is another good one and I believe they actually may distribute out in AZ. Lastly Lagunitas Lucky 13 I havent had a bad beer from Lagunitas yet. Good Luck let me know if you need some more help.

Cheers

Reactions: JPBoston
Thanks guys... I finally made it to Rock Bottom and sampled their Irish Red style and their Special Dark (Guinness-style). The Special Dark was incredible, you could really taste the coffee flavor... but unfortunately you can't bring that home because it wouldn't keep.

The Red style was very good too though, which is what I brought home. Can't wait to test out their other stuff. :)