Purchase link: Big Hero 6
Price: £24.99
Notes:

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

01.jpg

02.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg

Last edited:
Up until yesterday I had no way of playing 3d at home.
I have always on Disney releases at least always bought the 3d version and now I am glad I did.
Watched Tangled this morning on my shiny new Samsung UHD and was blown away by the 3d.
I am just glad that we are still getting the 3d versions in the UK.
Always best to buy the 'future proof' 3D version. I advised my buddy (he has kids) to get all the 3D Disney movies for the day he will inevitably have 3D! He won't be sorry he did! Rule of thumb- animated movies almost 100% of the time are amazing in 3D (I'm talking about ones made in the modern era.)
Unlike live action, they can program the 3D effect. So you have 3D that almost comes out and slaps you in the face!
Conversions of classics that were done in hand drawn animation don't hold to the same rule because they did not originate in the digital realm.
But digital animation films that originated in the digital realm but were not originally 3D can be converted almost flawlessly to 3D (all the Pixar stuff).
Glad you are enjoying the 3D!!

Always best to buy the 'future proof' 3D version. I advised my buddy (he has kids) to get all the 3D Disney movies for the day he will inevitably have 3D! He won't be sorry he did! Rule of thumb- animated movies almost 100% of the time are amazing in 3D (I'm talking about ones made in the modern era.)
Unlike live action, they can program the 3D effect. So you have 3D that almost comes out and slaps you in the face!
Conversions of classics that were done in hand drawn animation don't hold to the same rule because they did not originate in the digital realm.
But digital animation films that originated in the digital realm but were not originally 3D can be converted almost flawlessly to 3D (all the Pixar stuff).
Glad you are enjoying the 3D!!
You are absolutely right. It really baffles me when people say that they don't want to pay a little extra for the 3d version as they don't have a 3d setup. But does that mean that they will never have a 3d setup? I was buying 3d movies long before I even had a 3d TV. Hell I used to buy blurays even before I had a bluray player and HD TV!

You are absolutely right. It really baffles me when people say that they don't want to pay a little extra for the 3d version as they don't have a 3d setup. But does that mean that they will never have a 3d setup? I was buying 3d movies long before I even had a 3d TV. Hell I used to buy blurays even before I had a bluray player and HD TV!
Exactly!!;):thumbs:
tumblr_mglhljyqtz1rjf8u9o1_500.gif

Personal choice, surely?

I'm not interested in 3D, never have been, never will be. I know this to be true, because I know myself really well. I'm no more interested in owning 3D discs any more than I am in owning the Adam Sandler back-catalog. That's never going to change. I'm not saying that 3D releases aren't amazing, I'm sure they are, but they don't interest me. Also, my eyes are out-of-sync, so I can't see the effect very well anyway.

Yes, I think the 3D discs should be included in these sets for those who want them. However, I also think that the DVD copies should also be included because I want those. I still use DVD. Many say 'why would I want a DVD in the box, I don't watch DVDs', but I could say the same about 3D discs, only that I don't.

It should be about giving the consumer the choice. Many US releases contain the DVD in the Blu-ray package, very, very few UK releases do. If I'm being asked to pay £25, I'd like a Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D + DVD combi. As it is, the main reason I love 3D releases (that only mention 3D on the J-card - not the actual steelbook) is so I can throw the 3D disc away and put a DVD in the slot.

Reactions: Noodles
Personal choice, surely?

I'm not interested in 3D, never have been, never will be. I know this to be true, because I know myself really well. I'm no more interested in owning 3D discs any more than I am in owning the Adam Sandler back-catalog. That's never going to change. I'm not saying that 3D releases aren't amazing, I'm sure they are, but they don't interest me. Also, my eyes are out-of-sync, so I can't see the effect very well anyway.

Yes, I think the 3D discs should be included in these sets for those who want them. However, I also think that the DVD copies should also be included because I want those. I still use DVD. Many say 'why would I want a DVD in the box, I don't watch DVDs', but I could say the same about 3D discs, only that I don't.

It should be about giving the consumer the choice. Many US releases contain the DVD in the Blu-ray package, very, very few UK releases do. If I'm being asked to pay £25, I'd like a Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D + DVD combi. As it is, the main reason I love 3D releases (that only mention 3D on the J-card - not the actual steelbook) is so I can throw the 3D disc away and put a DVD in the slot.
Fair enough. But the next time you feel the urge to throw the 3d disc away pm me first!

Reactions: DrH and gaeljet
It looks like for US buyers, they are offering the opportunity to own the 3D version of Big Hero via Vudu/DMA. I was looking at the digital selection and noticed the 3D available for a whopping $34.99. I've never tried it, but it seems like an awful lot of money, considering you don't get physical discs.

As a completist, I hate being forced to double dip, but it seems like if we want the 3D disc here in the US, the best bang for the buck is to import this Zavvi version. At least you get a nice steel case and a spare 2D disc.