Blu-Ray Sales up Sharply in Q1 2009

Jan 29, 2009
Unit sales of Blu-ray Discs in the first three months of 2009 nearly doubled, compared to the same period last year, according to Adams Media Research.

Monterey, Calif.-based Adams said the high-definition format tallied about 9 million units through March, compared to 4.8 million units in 2008. There are about 10.5 million BD-enabled households, including about 7 million to 8 million dedicated BD players.

Indeed, Blu-ray revenue through March 29 totaled $196.6 million, up nearly 68% from $117.2 million during the same period last year, according to Home Media Research.

“At least twice as many homes have a BD player, so it is very expectable that it would double or more,” Adams said.

He said quality Blu-ray titles were limited until late in the quarter, with releases such as Twilight, Bolt, Quantum of Solace, Seven Pounds, Bedtime Stories and Marley & Me.

“It probably would have been better than that with a better selection of titles,” Adams said.

Despite Blu-ray’s strong start, Adams said the Blu-ray sales do not offset declines in DVD revenue.

“There are just too few homes with a Blu-ray player that have stepped up their consumption of the format,” he said.

As for Sony’s PlayStation 3, Adams said not enough households that own a PS3 have bought Blu-ray Discs to make a difference. He also said that due to the recession, the format is rolling out slower than DVD, although faster than VHS.

“That’s why we think we are facing another down year overall for disc sales in total and a pretty flat year in 2010 at this point,” he said.

Source: homemediamagazine.com/research/blu-ray-sales-sharply-q1-15382

No kidding. I remember back in early '98 when I bought my first DVD player all the folks telling me DVD would never catch on.... riiight!

A 68% increase year to year is huge during 1Q, which is usually the slowest sales period. Can't wait to see what 4Q '09 brings!

When DVD players were like what 600-800 bucks? lol and people now talk about Br being expensive for a new tech...puff some just don't know what they are talking about!