Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
2.75 star(s) Rating: 2.75/5 4 Votes
Title: Blue Beetle

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Ángel Manuel Soto

Cast: Xolo Mariduena, Bruna Marquezine, Belissa Escobedo, Harvey Guillén, George Lopez, Adriana Barraza, Elpidia Carrillo, Damián Alcázar, Susan Sarandon, Raoul Max Trujillo

Release: 2023-08-16

Plot: Jaime Reyes acquires a mysterious scarab that binds to his spine and provides him with a powerful suit of blue alien armor.

blue_beetle_ver8.jpeg

saw yesterday with my godson, and he enjoyed it - looked liked a good disney tv movie to me, so won't be buying the nice steelbooks i liked or getting the upcoming Mantalab release (unless Manta do an amazing job).

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
This looks to become another $100 million loss for Disney. Thankfully for them its budget was, if they're not lying, 'only' a little over 100 mil, and there didn't seem to be that much in advertising, so to break even it'd need about 250 million dollars, and with a $45 mil opening it likely won't get more than 150 total.

My god this was absolutely terrible. Not a single original thing happens... it felt like one of those early 2000s superhero movies that we've all seen a thousand times before and I really struggled to make it to the end.

Not a bad movie, its only fault is that it's kind of late, most of what it shows has been done before, and the hero entity itself is like a mix of an Iron Man suit and Green Lantern alien powers. So it's reusing tropes and ideas at a time of superhero fatigue.
Another thing is the overuse of 'ethnicity' - I understand and welcome the implementation of a Mexican family, but why does everyone else has to be Hispanic as well?
We got a Hispanic bodyguard, Hispanic music playing at a party by a Hispanic band, Kord daughter is Hispanic, main villainess' assistant is Hispanic, a guard that laughs at a cartoon is Hispanic, Hispanic druggies at a bus stop, etc. All of that makes it feel forced and fake, and racist.
Still I liked the 'crazy' cool conspirologist uncle with a pickup truck, and the beautiful Brazilian actress Bruna Marquezine, and there wasn't too much dumb stuff. Just repetitive.