UK
Release date: March 7th, 2016
Purchase link: Boyz n the Hood (live)
Price: £12.99

11238490-1344360137510930.jpg

11238490-3974360137725268.jpg

11238490-1724360137658929.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered this one without discounts. The price is reasonable as is.
Maybe this sort of pricing of steelbooks becomes a trend with Zavvi :)

This isn't a title that more than a few people would shell out $30 for. I'll personally wait until it's $10.

Anybody have the j-card pic? What special features come on this disc?
I can download a pic of the back of my 2011 20th Anniversary edition or to save time you can pop over to another site and type in this BD - under the pic you'll see "Large: Front Back" Just click on "Back" and you'll see a clear picture of same including the list of SPECIAL FEATURES about halfway down.
I'm presuming that the disc in the Anniversary Edition Amaray will be the same as the disc in this steelbook . . . ?

Reactions: schrute farms
This is an excellent film pretty sure more than a 'few' people want it and £12.99 is great price for it

He did say this isnt a title that more than a few people would shell out $30 for.
Not "only a few people want this" or however you might of read it. Just saying

$30 is a lot for this. But £12.99 is half decent and with 10% a bit better. I'll prob cancel closer the time anyway as its bound to drop to £9.99 or lower

Reactions: JCC
This is an excellent film pretty sure more than a 'few' people want it and £12.99 is great price for it

"This isn't a title that more than a few people would shell out $30 for" is what I wrote.

Both Straight Outta Compton and now Boyz n the Hood black and white steelbooks? What's going on? Some subtle or not so subtle message there? Anyway, I like Ice Cuba on the cover.

"This isn't a title that more than a few people would shell out $30 for" is what I wrote.

Stil same point there is quite a number of people on here that are happy to pay that and buy it and quite a lot have also ordered this on another forum I use.

As I said it's a great film and I really like the black and white artwork.

Gritty b/w steel suits a gritty urban film (IMO) and if this had been made at a different time (1960s "kitchen sink" drama) it would have been made in b/w and no worse for that (again IMO).

Regarding B/W ARTWORK on U.K. steels: I wouldn't know where to start, except from the beginning, and here are some at random spotted on my shelves (although some are more SILVER & BLACK and some have COLOURED TITLES unlike this one :-
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, RUMBLE FISH, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, M.I.B. TRILOGY, M.I.B., SKYFALL, THE PIANIST, SIN CITY, THE WOLVERINE 3D (HMV), THE ELEPHANT MAN, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, DR. STRANGELOVE, NIGHTCRAWLER, GET ON UP, DEAD MAN, CLIFFHANGER, NEED FOR SPEED and not forgetting the dozen WB "Premium Collection" steels from near the end of 2012 - 300, 10,000 BC, BLADE RUNNER, CLASH OF THE TITANS, HEAT, I AM LEGEND, INCEPTION, THE LAST SAMURAI, THE MATRIX, SE7EN, SHERLOCK HOLMES and TROY, THE GREAT ESCAPE, G.I. JOE: RETALIATION, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD . . .
Plus a few futurepaks - FIGHT CLUB, SILENT HILL, NAS: TIME IS ILLMATIC . . .

As Sony are releasing the glossy white slipcover editions as steels I wonder which of the remaining 10 out of 20 is next ?
1) TAXI DRIVE (SB releases x2 - 2013 and 2015)
2) THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (SB release 2016)
3) STAND BY ME
4) GANDHI
5) EASY RIDER (SB release 2015)
6) MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
7) BOYZ 'N THE HOOD (SB release 2016)
8) DAS BOOT (SB release 2015)
9) THE GUNS OF NAVARONE
10) CLOSE ENCOUNTERS . . . (SB release 2013)
11) DR. STRANGELOVE (SB release 2015)
12) CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (SB release 2009)
13) THE CAINE MUTINY
14) LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (SB release 2015)
15) BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (SB release 2015)
16) GROUNDHOG DAY
17) GLORY
18) FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
19) THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
20) ON THE WATERFRONT
Personally hoping the next steel will be either "Stand By Me", "The Remains of the Day" or even a new "Crouching Tiger ..." without the blue banner.
Interesting that they've not kept the designs/colours uniform (like the numbered spine slipcover Amaray editions) or even did a matching wave like the Warner Brothers "Premium Collection" noted above and are releasing them years apart instead of all together.

Last edited:
Stil same point there is quite a number of people on here that are happy to pay that and buy it and quite a lot have also ordered this on another forum I use.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Notice that there aren't many posts stating that someone has pre-ordered. With more popular titles, there would be a slew of posts stating that the steelbook has been pre-ordered.

Maybe you travel in more affluent circles and money is no object to you, in which case I give you kudos. But for the collectors I am more familiar with, $30 is a lot for a non-premium release. Zavvi is trying to sell these, not sit on them. And a $30 price point would result in the majority of these sitting in the warehouse for quite a while.

Maybe you love this film and are offended that I would suggest that, but it's true. I honestly haven't seen it, so I'll wait for the price to inevitably lower. I paid full price for Dead Poet's Society and Good Morning Vietnam and feel a bit cheated by Zavvi already.

Reactions: Flloydo
I disagree wholeheartedly. Notice that there aren't many posts stating that someone has pre-ordered. With more popular titles, there would be a slew of posts stating that the steelbook has been pre-ordered.

Maybe you travel in more affluent circles and money is no object to you, in which case I give you kudos. But for the collectors I am more familiar with, $30 is a lot for a non-premium release. Zavvi is trying to sell these, not sit on them. And a $30 price point would result in the majority of these sitting in the warehouse for quite a while.

Maybe you love this film and are offended that I would suggest that, but it's true. I honestly haven't seen it, so I'll wait for the price to inevitably lower. I paid full price for Dead Poet's Society and Good Morning Vietnam and feel a bit cheated by Zavvi already.

That's your opinion and I completely disagree. No money isn't no object :woot: lol
I only tend to get what I really like or think I will like and in main can't afford the more expensive releases.
As a steelbook collector which a large majority of people are here, the fact it was £12.99 was on the pleasantly cheaper side. It's about as cheap as a UK steelbook is going to be on release no matter what it is. I mean as opposed to many other titles £15.99, £16,99, £19.99 and even £24.99 for some.

In terms of being ripped off, each person makes the decison on whether they wish to purchase a steelbook at whatever price, Zavvi doesn't force anyone to buy them and yes many do eventually get reduced that's the chance anyone takes.

You haven't even seen the film? I see...
It's quite a classic in this genre if you like that type of film. A fairly early film for Cuba Gooding Jr, like him as actor. :thumbs:

Reactions: dan8885
If this costs me GBP 12.99 in the U.K. to buy (before discount) I'd appreciate it if some of Zavvi's international customers could let me know how much this steelbook actually costs them (including P&P) because I personally find the price of $30/GBP 21 (for this steelbook ?) pretty shocking.
If I've misunderstood the point I apologise but if correct I'd feel embarrassed about making any negative price-related comments in the future . . .
If this is the price for a cheaper steel I dread to think how much a 25 quid steel costs to other territories. . . gulp !

Price of this to all parts of Europe (seems to be in line with the U.K. price) ?
Price of this to the U.S. ?
Price of this to other territories (Asia etc.) ?

Curious about mention of $30 (21 quid) for this . . .

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered yesterday. The original VHS is one of the few I kept right next to Menace II Society, He Got Game and Above the Rim. It's a great movie and lots of memories from my youth connected to it.

12,99 GBP is 16,49 EUR and shipping is free to Germany. For me that's a great price and I don't care if it gets cheaper in the future. I don't own it on Blu-ray so I can't wait to rewatch!!

Flash I still think you don't get what @JCC has said.
If you look back to who he quoted it was to do with the price being reasonable. So jcc has said "This isn't a title that more than a few people would shell out $30 for" and then after he stated he will wait for a price drop anyway.
Now $30 is roughly £21 which is the price some of the other exclusives are (and higher) for US customers after postage etc. And they are the items that zavvi sit on in the ware house until massive drops.
But you've taken it completely wrong and made a massive thing out of it for his opinion. As usual.

You then go into weird defensive mode about how many people like this film and stuff because you think someone is being negative about stuff you like (like your comment in the rant thread to the guy who hates pops - his opinion even if he did originally post it in the wrong thread - who cares)

Yes this has a massive following and I also know loads who love this film etc but it's been quite quiet in here and other "forums" as you put it.
So this prob won't sell out and it may even get announced in other countries causing the sales of the UK one to fall when people in their own countries can order for themselves and prob some peeps from the U.K. And other places. (Which in a way will just help this get cheaper for the rest of us).
But you take it all to heart and then bring in the "Zavvi don't force you to buy anything" which honestly sounds so stupid everytime someone posts it (I've prob even posted it myself and I'll still stand by - it's a stupid response)

Anyway back to the steel. personally I prefer the original colour poster but this would go well with straight outta Compton next to it. It it might be a bit too much black and white. Not sure

I'll prob cancel anyway closer the time and wait for it to drop

Hopefully the trend of cheaper catalogue titles stays with zavvi.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCC and dan8885
I've pre-ordered yesterday. The original VHS is one of the few I kept right next to Menace II Society, He Got Game and Above the Rim. It's a great movie and lots of memories from my youth connected to it.

12,99 GBP is 16,49 EUR and shipping is free to Germany. For me that's a great price and I don't care if it gets cheaper in the future. I don't own it on Blu-ray so I can't wait to rewatch!!

Same mate, really reminds me of my youth and getting into hip hop and rap around that time too.

Would love those films in steel especially above the rim and menace ll society.
Would also love gridlock'd - one of my favs and 2pac and Tim Roth are unreal together. And early Newton too

Same mate, really reminds me of my youth and getting into hip hop and rap around that time too.

Would love those films in steel especially above the rim and menace ll society.
Would also love gridlock'd - one of my favs and 2pac and Tim Roth are unreal together. And early Newton too

Yes mate. Rap and Basketball was the only things I cared about back in these days. Menace would be fantastic and I really would like to have a He Got Game steel. This movie was everything to me. Gridlock'd is an awesome movie, I need a Steel for every Pac movie. Juice would also be great! Damn how I miss this times.

Boyz n the Hood is a great start ! Classic movie even for non hip hop heads!

Reactions: spass and Flloydo
Yes mate. Rap and Basketball was the only things I cared about back in these days. Menace would be fantastic and I really would like to have a He Got Game steel. This movie was everything to me. Gridlock'd is an awesome movie, I need a Steel for every Pac movie. Juice would also be great! Damn how I miss this times.

Boyz n the Hood is a great start ! Classic movie even for non hip hop heads!

Ahh snap

But I was so bad at basketball, I tried tho. Used to (try) shoot hoops in my back garden until the rim broke lol.

Yeah he got game would be cool too and I always forget about juice. Been years since I watched it.

Yeah true, you don't have to be a hip hop head.

Would love some comedies like don't be a menace in..........., Friday (only the first one though), all about the Benjamin's, how high and even the first scary movie