The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 19th, 2015
Purchase link: Bram Stoker's Dracula
Price: £13.99

11173993-1034330577233617.jpg

Can we keep on topic please guys. If you want to discuss foreign text on Steelbooks you can do that in a more appropriate thread. This thread is for discussing the Dracula Steelbook. Thanks.

You've already been asked to move on, folks. Any further posts not on topic will be removed. Each one is free to collect as they so please. If you wish to further discuss that, take it to PMs.

Thank you :thumbs:

I am looking forward to this release, I wonder if the steelbook will be glossy?

How do you guys rate this film amongst vampire films? :)

After the fiasco of Universal's new release of "Spartacus" containing the old disc, we now have an equally confusing situation regarding Sony's new release of "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

In Germany there have been two new releases of this title. The first is the standard Amaray, with the image of Dracula and the razor on the cover. This has been confirmed, by those who have it, to contain the new 4k remastered disc.

The second release is the 'Pop Art' Steelbook. Unfortunately, it has been confirmed on the German forum, Cinefacts, by those who have purchased it, that this contains the previously released disc.

Whilst this may be due to an error by Sony, it could also be a case that this was intentional, in order to clear stocks of the old disc.

Whichever is the case, it raises questions as to whether the forthcoming UK and Italian Steelbooks will also be affected by this issue.

If it is the case that the UK Steelbook only contains the old disc, I'm pretty sure that the release would fall foul of consumer legislation. Although there is no mention on the J-card of this including the 4k remastered disc, the languages and subtitles listed are those of the new disc and different to those of the old disc. So if it is the old disc, it will be a different item to that described on the J-card.

So, it's a case of 'watching this space' until we get further information. In the meantime, Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
After the fiasco of Universal's new release of "Spartacus" containing the old disc, we now have an equally confusing situation regarding Sony's new release of "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

In Germany there have been two new releases of this title. The first is the standard Amaray, with the image of Dracula and the razor on the cover. This has been confirmed, by those who have it, to contain the new 4k remastered disc.

The second release is the 'Pop Art' Steelbook. Unfortunately, it has been confirmed on the German forum, Cinefacts, by those who have purchased it, that this contains the previously released disc.

Whilst this may be due to an error by Sony, it could also be a case that this was intentional, in order to clear stocks of the old disc.

Whichever is the case, it raises questions as to whether the forthcoming UK and Italian Steelbooks will also be affected by this issue.

If it is the case that the UK Steelbook only contains the old disc, I'm pretty sure that the release would fall foul of consumer legislation. Although there is no mention on the J-card of this including the 4k remastered disc, the languages and subtitles listed are those of the new disc and different to those of the old disc. So if it is the old disc, it will be a different item to that described on the J-card. @paulboland You're more knowledgeable on the subject of consumer legislation than I am. Am I correct here?

So, it's a case of 'watching this space' until we get further information. In the meantime, Caveat emptor!
Zavvi and Amazon Italy have not advertised the Pop Art Steelbooks as been a 4K Transfer for dracula at any stage so they have not done anything wrong if the discs inside are the previous older as they never listed this a new 4K transfer Blu-ray

If it turns out to be the new 4K transfer then they not broken any advertising either as such just not advertised well enough to let customers know they get a better release than the previous one

I not to bothered to be honest as I already have the USA Supreme Series Blu-ray 4K transfer on its way to me
I only ordered this from Amazon Italy for the steelbook itself and not the Blu-ray inside and got it at a cheap price €9.07 Euro

Selling a product for sale it is only false advertising if you say it has something clearly new and is not as advertised when customer gets it delivered to them
Amazon and Zavvi have advertised Dracula di Bram Stoker (Steelbook) (Blu-Ray) Bram Stoker's Dracula Steelbook (Blu-ray)
If you get delivery of the steelbook shown in the photo's then you have been supplied as advertised

It don't mention 4K transfer in either retailers listings so no one can claim they got the wrong Disc if its not the 4K Disc
If it does turn out to be the 4K Disc then you can't claim not as advertised for not listing this (I doubt anyone would though :LOL:)

Spartacus is different because it clearly states 55th Anniversary Restored Edition =4K Transfer
Spartacus known to be a 4k transfer due to 55th Anniversary Restored Edition so is different advertising to the Dracula Steelbook as it dont mention anything to give you the impression its 4K

Last edited:
Zavvi and Amazon Italy have not advertised the Pop Art Steelbooks as been a 4K Transfer for dracula at any stage so they have not done anything wrong if the discs inside are the previous older as they never listed this a new 4K transfer Blu-ray

If it turns out to be the new 4K transfer then they not broken any advertising either as such just not advertised well enough to let customers know they get a better release than the previous one

I not to bothered to be honest as I already have the USA Supreme Series Blu-ray 4K transfer on its way to me
I only ordered this from Amazon Italy for the steelbook itself and not the Blu-ray inside and got it at a cheap price €9.07 Euro

Selling a product for sale it is only false advertising if you say it has something clearly new and is not as advertised when customer gets it delivered to them
Amazon and Zavvi have advertised Dracula di Bram Stoker (Steelbook) (Blu-Ray) Bram Stoker's Dracula Steelbook (Blu-ray)
If you get delivery of the steelbook shown in the photo's then you have been supplied as advertised

It don't mention 4K transfer in either retailers listings so no one can claim they got the wrong Disc if its not the 4K Disc
If it does turn out to be the 4K Disc then you can't claim not as advertised for not listing this (I doubt anyone would though :LOL:)

Spartacus is different because it clearly states 55th Anniversary Restored Edition =4K Transfer
Spartacus known to be a 4k transfer due to 55th Anniversary Restored Edition so is different advertising to the Dracula Steelbook as it dont mention anything to give you the impression its 4K

Thanks for the prompt response. I get all of what you've written but you've not actually touched upon the subject that I raised regarding the languages and subtitles.

If I, or someone else, were to purchase this item on the basis of it including a new DTS-HD MA 5.1 track, as described on the packaging (J-card), only to find when I play it that it only has the previous PCM 5.1 track, then the item is not as described!

The same principle surely applies to any other commodity. It has to identical to what's described on the packaging unless there's a cautionary note that the contents may differ. That's what I understood the situation to be.

Thanks for the prompt response. I get all of what you've written but you've not actually touched upon the subject that I raised regarding the languages and subtitles.

If I, or someone else, were to purchase this item on the basis of it including a new DTS-HD MA 5.1 track, as described on the packaging (J-card), only to find when I play it that it only has the previous PCM 5.1 track, then the item is not as described!

The same principle surely applies to any other commodity. It has to identical to what's described on the packaging unless there's a cautionary note that the contents may differ. That's what I understood the situation to be.
It's possible for them to have done a new pressing of the disc with new audio and language without been the new 4K transfer
None of us will know for sure what the disc is inside the Zavvi UK Steelbook or Amazon Italy Steelbook until in hand
It's possible for the German Steelbook while the other releases are the same or different

If you get this dIsc and on the back of the jcard it states DTS-HD MA 5.1 but is in fact LPCM 5.1 then yes its not as advertised by the product description itself

Artwork on Websites including Jcard photos are subject to change with any release and very often can be changed at any stage before release date and sometimes not updated till after release date when either the film studio submits new info or a customer supplies correct info with actual images of the product delivered to them to show any differences

What counts is the in hand actual steelbook after been delivered what the actual jcard lists that will matter if it not matching the disc content inside then you can claim not as advertised if it is something different to what it says on the Jcard to what you were supplied with

There has been issues like this before with audio been different with other releases from various countries but most of the time nothing happens
I often import a release from another country because it has extras not on the UK disc and not known until after been released

If you get this dIsc and on the back of the jcard it states DTS-HD MA 5.1 but is in fact LPCM 5.1 then yes its not as advertised by the product description itself.

What counts is the in hand actual steelbook after been delivered what the actual jcard lists that will matter if it not matching the disc content inside then you can claim not as advertised if it is something different to what it says on the Jcard to what you were supplied with.

That's what I assumed to be the case. Thanks for confirming it.

Last edited:
To summarise - If I understand the situation correctly (and I'm not saying that I do :) ) out of the following three steelbooks recently ordered - SPARTACUS, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and this one - two of them ('Lawrence' and 'Dracula') will have the existing discs inside and one will have a brand new Anniversary disc.

(1) LAWRENCE Same 4K re-mastered disc(s) as in the Sony white/gold glossy slip edition of 2012.

(2) DRACULA Same disc as in the 2012 Sony white/gold glossy slip edition - as printed on the back of one of the other forthcoming steelbook releases "Transferred and restored from the original 35mm camera negatives" so in other words not a new 4K scan. Even though a new 4K re-mastered disc is available it will not be included here and a double-dip will be necessary if you wish to own the steelbook and the best available disc.

(3) SPARTACUS New 4K re-mastered disc in honour of the 55th Anniversary of the film which will be included in all Blu-ray editions of the forthcoming release.

Reactions: Flash
Spartacus Blu-ray is not 100% as to what disc will be in the UK steelbook at the moment
In Germany/Italy Universal said the old master was pressed accidentally from the 2010 (50th Anniversary) to the new discs (55th Anniversary) in the manufacturing process for some releases

Hopefully that mistake with spartacus discs has been corrected for the steelbook releases as the steelbook has not been released yet

Dracula Steelbook was never advertised as the 4K transfer but most assumed and expected it would be so it is unknown for sure what disc is in the steelbook at the moment

Lawrence of arabia is the same disc as before but might be only 1 Disc
The listings on Amazon and Zavvi say only 1 Disc as does the Jcard image so it might be missing the extras disc that was with all other Blu-ray releases

Mine arrived today and it's just as nice as I imagined with the deep red colouring of the sky standing out against the skeletal shadowy trees and with the castle facade leading to the cobblestone (?) path bathed in a sparkly mottled moonlit glow.
The red from the sky is also discreetly picked out on the Count's coat cuffs and in an upstairs window.

I'd say this is a matte steelbook but nice and sparkly thanks to the liberal use of shiny metallic silver paint. No 'bossing.

No mention of the disc being anything other than what we have been given previously . . . unfortunately.

"SPECIAL FEATURES
- OVER 30 MINS. OF DELETED SCENES
- AUDIO COMMENTARY & FILM INTRO. BY DIRECTOR F. F. COPPOLA
- THE BLOOD IS THE LIFE - THE MAKING OF DRACULA
- THE COSTUMES ARE THE SETS - THE DESIGN OF EIKO ISHIOKA
- IN-CAMERA - THE NAIVE VISUAL EFFECTS OF DRACULA
- METHOD AND MADNESS - VISUALISING DRACULA"

"FEATURE FILM
VIDEO: 1080P HIGH DEF. (1.85:1)
AUDIO: ENGLISH 5.1 DTS-HD MA, CZECH, GERMAN, HUNGARIAN, ITALIAN, POLISH VO, SPANISH 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL, RUSSIAN 4.0 LCRS
SUBTITLES: ENGLISH, ENGLISH (HOH), ARABIC, BULGARIAN, CROATIAN, CZECH, DANISH, FINNISH, GERMAN, GREEK, HEBREW, HINDI, HUNGARIAN, ICELANDIC, ITALIAN, NORWEGIAN, POLISH, PORTUGESE, ROMANIAN, SLOVENE, SPANISH, SWEDISH, TURKISH
APPROX. 127 MINS."

Only one thing about this, and others in the range, that I don't like are the ugly "Pop Art" j-cards - I don't know what these steelbook designs have to do with actual Pop Art unless the meaning has completely changed from that of the 1950s and 1960s . . . :(

I think it's great apart from that though 8/10 :happy::thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: vurt and Flash