Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: July 6th, 2015
Purchase links:
HMV
Xtra-Vision
Price: £15.99
HDN Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus < click (UK, EU + ROW members)

01-246691.jpg

Last edited:
What is the point of spending 8-10£ on watching it at the cinema to see if you like it. If you don't like it that's money wasted and if you did like and bought the steelbook then that is money wasted again as you paying twice for the movie. At least with a blind buy you can sell the steelbook and recoup a good proportion of your cost if you don't like it and if you do like it then you have only paid once for the privilege of watching the movie!
There's so much logic in there, BUT...

...I'm an impatient ass and don't wanna wait 6 months to see a film :p

As it stands, I'm not sure I like that art. The red watercolour looking background is awful. Too comic book-ish for my liking. I hope it gets changed.

All of Blomkamps Steelbooks have been disappointing so far IMO. Love his work though.

Is it just me, or is Neill Blomkamp slowly turning into the M.Night Shyamalan of the SciFi world??...

I mean, both undeniable had fantastic debuts (The Sixth Sense & District 9) and each followed up with an okay yet not as good film (Unbreakable & Elysium).
But the main reason for my comparison is that each director keeps on doing the same sort of film (with the exception of M.Night's last two "efforts"...). M.Night keeps trying to do a jaw-dropping twist at the end of each of his thrillers in an attempt to recreate the same effect his debut had, whilst Neill is arguably doing the same thing but with his futuristic SciFi dystopian-esque films with struggling central character, much like he did in his first film.

It could just be me thinking this, but I thought I had to say something... :LOL:

Just saw this - Exactly the kind of sci-fi I really enjoy. Copley's motion capture performance is superb.
Really bloody and violent. Zimmer's score is great. I actually thought Die Antwoord were pretty good which was my biggest hesitation (Ninja in particular plays a ruthless gangster idiot, and you will hate him so he came off well). It is intensely upsetting in places. It has a great ebb and flow and was never boring. It actually had something to say about AI and parenthood and being a product of your environment. I wasn't expecting it to be as enjoyable on that front.
If you are a fan of Blomkamps material i'm sure you will love it. If you didn't like D9 or Elysium there's nothing here to change your mind, though it's certainly closer to D9 in tone, and shares the same dark humor that did. Predict this will have quite a cult following in a few years from now. Critics were never going to like a move with Die Antwoord in it and following the Alien announcement the knives were out. Looking forward to the steelbook :D

If you sign up for a Pure card you don't pay the pre-order fee. Just a tip ;)

I've never paid a pre-order fee. I just pay a £5 deposit, then pay the balance when I call in the shop to pick the disk up. Perfick !

Must admit though, I would love HMV to resurrect their online shop to save me having to make the 30 mile round trip to my nearest HMV.

:woot:

Just saw this - Exactly the kind of sci-fi I really enjoy. Copley's motion capture performance is superb.
Really bloody and violent. Zimmer's score is great. I actually thought Die Antwoord were pretty good which was my biggest hesitation (Ninja in particular plays a ruthless gangster idiot, and you will hate him so he came off well). It is intensely upsetting in places. It has a great ebb and flow and was never boring. It actually had something to say about AI and parenthood and being a product of your environment. I wasn't expecting it to be as enjoyable on that front.
If you are a fan of Blomkamps material i'm sure you will love it. If you didn't like D9 or Elysium there's nothing here to change your mind, though it's certainly closer to D9 in tone, and shares the same dark humor that did. Predict this will have quite a cult following in a few years from now. Critics were never going to like a move with Die Antwoord in it and following the Alien announcement the knives were out. Looking forward to the steelbook :D

Thanks for that. Now I'm really dying to see it! :)

I've never paid a pre-order fee. I just pay a £5 deposit, then pay the balance when I call in the shop to pick the disk up. Perfick !

Must admit though, I would love HMV to resurrect their online shop to save me having to make the 30 mile round trip to my nearest HMV.

:woot:

think the way its written, how i read it saying pay no deposit they pre-order you a copy and just come in and pay when its out. unless he meant something different.

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: eps999
^ Or it will be in fopp and standard HMV stores. Have all the other exclusives been avaliable in fopp stores? If not it might just mean it avaliable in those stores too after all they are the same company.
It won't be exclusive to just fopp stores

I did have a reel of HMV exclusive stickers. My local store that I also worked in never puts them on so last year one of my old work mates just gave me a reel lol so I added them to all my HMV exclusive steels, got about 4 left now (I also put one in my guardians of the Galaxy cassette) so hopefully be able to get more when I need them

What is the point of spending 8-10£ on watching it at the cinema to see if you like it. If you don't like it that's money wasted and if you did like and bought the steelbook then that is money wasted again as you paying twice for the movie. At least with a blind buy you can sell the steelbook and recoup a good proportion of your cost if you don't like it and if you do like it then you have only paid once for the privilege of watching the movie!

That's an interesting point @StifflersDad, I however like to do things traditionally. Going to the cinema helps fund the studios and it's also a night out for me. I only pay about £6 each visit so it doesn't cost much compared to buying and selling a Steelbook, which is a time consuming process. If the film is good I don't see a problem paying for the Steelbook release.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayWhit and harry