BANNED
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Civil War

Genre: Science Fiction, Action

Director: Alex Garland

Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Cailee Spaeny

Plot: A new action epic set in a near-future America from Alex Garland.

For me this was a well acted, directed, and shot movie with a lackluster story. There is basically no explanation as to the cause of Civil War leading to the safest most middle of the road alternate history. It’s definitely worth giving a watch but I don’t think it lived up to what I had hoped.

There is basically no explanation as to the cause of Civil War leading to the safest most middle of the road alternate history.
Yep, that's what I hear from everyone. I guess they decided not to 'offend' either half of the population, and the director lied there'd be reasons for ridiculous Texas and California pairing.

First half was kinda boring, save for a couple irritating scenes. Last hour is more eventful, with an interesting ending, but I guess I shouldn't have expected the whole movie to be like the last 15 minutes. Director managed to stick even into them some BS artsy-fartsy no-sound just mellow music scene during the attack on Lincoln Memorial building.
The Director stated his BS alliance of Texas and California represents people uniting against something worse, a tyrant going for a third term, but all his 'good', or opposing the president, characters are represented by so called minorities, immigrants, and all the bad ones are militia keeping a nice quiet town safe, or racist killers. If one tries to abstract themselves from the obvious and stereotypical lefty whining propaganda, then we get absolutely terrible reporter characters. Lee, played by Kirsten Dunst, walks most of the movie with a stone face, acting 'cool' and 'seasoned', warning the young reporter girl that tackled along, yet when the sh!t hits the fan gets hysterical.
The annoying young one decides to have fun in the middle of the road, then because of her numerous characters die. Later she causes another death.
Besides all that what's with the photographers in 2024 or beyond, assuming it's near future? This modern war would be video filmed with UHD cameras, POV. Some soldiers would even likely have such cameras on them. It's all crap. I'm very disappointed.

The annoying young one decides to have fun in the middle of the road, then because of her numerous characters die. Later she causes another death.
Besides all that what's with the photographers in 2024 or beyond, assuming it's near future? This modern war would be video filmed with UHD cameras, POV. Some soldiers would even likely have such cameras on them. It's all crap. I'm very disappointed.
isn’t it really the guy who jumps in their car first the cause of their deaths? Due to them speeding up behind them catching up with them driving like maniacs? If she hadn’t then jumped in he would’ve probably still been pulled over and killed for being Chinese. Not sure you can really blame her for that part. The ending yeah defo

But then when she causes dunst to die it’s to show that’s she’s too much of a liability (the soldiers constantly pulling her back to the wall) and that she’s desensitised very quickly to all the violence around her by ignoring her death and to show that she’s not a very nice person

he would’ve probably still been pulled over and killed for being Chinese. Not sure you can really blame her for that part.
Yeah, but if she didn't climb over to their car, they likely wouldn't go all out for that guy only, she was the deciding factor.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Oh, and seeing Cailee Spaeny in this also reminded me what a great Ellie (TLOU) she would've made. Not that Bella Ramsey isn't brilliant though!