paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 18, 2017
Purchase links: Zavvi - Zoom - HMV - Amazon UK
Price: £59.99 (Zoom - Hmv - Amazon) - £64.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD™ Gift Set (3 Discs: 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Bonus Disc) Includes All 3 Versions of the Film: Theatrical Version, Special Edition & Director’s Cut – all restored in 4K.

11536692-8544509987930918.jpg

Last edited:
Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD™ Gift Set (3 Discs: 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Bonus Disc) Includes All 3 Versions of the Film: Theatrical Version, Special Edition & Director’s Cut – all restored in 4K.

Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Gift Set

• Special collectible 4K Ultra HD gift set lights up and plays the iconic 5-tone theme
  • Also includes a 64-page booklet with rare photos from the film’s production
Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi blockbuster, now fully restored in 4K. Richard Dreyfuss stars as cable worker Roy Neary, who experiences a close encounter of the first kind – witnessing UFOs soaring across the sky. Meanwhile, government agents have close encounters of the second kind – discovering physical evidence of extraterrestrial visitors in the form of a lost fighter aircraft from World War II and a stranded military ship that disappears decades earlier only to suddenly reappear in an unusual place. Roy and the agents follow the clues that have drawn them to reach a site where they will have a close encounter of the third kind – contact.

Blu-ray Bonus Disc™ Special Features Include:

ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES

• Three Kinds Of Close Encounters featurette All-new interviews with directors Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams and Denis Villeneuve reflecting on the legacy and impact of this iconic sci-fi classic.
  • Steven’s Home Videos & Outtakes Get a rare glimpse behind the scenes with director Steven Spielberg as your guide in these never-before-seen on-set movies and gags
Blu-ray ALSO INCLUDES

• Close Encounters Of The Third Kind – Making Of Documentary
  • Steven Spielberg: 30 Years of Close Encounters featurette
  • 1977 Featurette Close Encounters Of The Third Kind – Watch The Skies
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Extensive Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailers

• Thanks
Reactions: ghost1
UK is trade wide release
Amazon UK and other UK retailers will list at some stage to purchase

I expect price to drop with Amazon UK before release date

At the moment works out cheaper to order from Amazon USA even after shipping and imports fees depost is included

Reactions: Felix_ro
Both 4K UHD and Blu-ray releases has restoration done in 4K

If your not interested in the limited edition or 4K UHD and want just a Blu-ray release

There is also a 2 Disc 40th Anniversary Blu-ray release also restored in 4K

Same extras as before from the previous 2 Blu-ray disc release +
ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES

• Three Kinds Of Close Encounters featurette All-new interviews with directors Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams and Denis Villeneuve reflecting on the legacy and impact of this iconic sci-fi classic.
  • Steven’s Home Videos & Outtakes Get a rare glimpse behind the scenes with director Steven Spielberg as your guide in these never-before-seen on-set movies and gags

Last edited:
Annoying how UK dont have the standard version for order and only the SE.
UK do have standard Blu-ray available
Blu-ray
2 Discs
Disc 1 Theatrical Version, Special Edition & Director’s Cut
Disc 2 Same extras as before + same 2 new extras

Amazon UK
£15.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072X58Z9J/?tag=hidefnin-21

Zavvi
£15.99
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-40th-anniversary/11536693.html

HMV
£12.99
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind

Standard Blu-ray also had 4K scan restoration

UK do have standard Blu-ray available
Blu-ray
2 Discs
Disc 1 Theatrical Version, Special Edition & Director’s Cut
Disc 2 Same extras as before + same 2 new extras

Amazon UK
£15.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072X58Z9J/?tag=hidefnin-21

Zavvi
£15.99
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-40th-anniversary/11536693.html

HMV
£12.99
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind

Standard Blu-ray also had 4K scan restoration

Sorry I meant standard UHD.
Just like US who have UHD amray and UHD SE.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
  • Thanks
Reactions: nekromantik
happy days. :) the new UHD Ltd Edit has arrived: here's some info for those thinking of getting, hope you find this useful. :)

View media item 24549
first off, it's a compact little box around the same size as the recent Sinbad/Harryhausen sets. the outer box is perfectly fine rigid card.

here are the J-card details:

the J-card itself also contains the ratings logos and everyone's favourite giant 4K UHD banner, so the box looks much better without the J-card:

it's also been printed on what i guess is silver-backed card, as the front and rather lovely back of the box both have a spot-gloss like shine to them:

one fun little addition is that, when you take the booklet and amaray out, the box closes smaller, so you can lift up the top half to 'open' the mothership slot, press the button on the right, and you get the image lighting up and playing the famous 5 note tune: :whistle:

i should say that the lightbox part of the imagery is actually a basic transition lenticular. i haven't posted a video of the tune because a) others have done it better than me elsewhere online already and b) it's relatively quiet and hard to pick up on recording devices. it's 2 bars, the 5 notes of the tune, and then the second play when the aliens play the last 2 notes back in response.

the exterior box is sound, but the interior box is cheap, creased in transit (i'll survive), and considering the effort spent on the outside in comparison, is a definite dropped ball:

the booklet is images only, combining on-screen footage with on-set shots. it's actually quite good, although i would have preferred a heavier stock and perfect binding for this price. the final pages are a comparison of the three versions (theatrical, special, director's) and what's different:

i really like this set, and will enjoy it. but if i am being entirely honest, it's currently overpriced for what you get. if it's cheapest around £20 to get the UHD 40th release on amaray, this is an extra £30 or thereabouts for an unnumbered limited edition set with a booklet and a box of varying quality which lights up and plays a tune.
View media item 24540this is the third time i've bought Close Encounters, and considering my last edition was the 'Ultimate Edition'... but progress never stops! i reckon this is my last time buying it. but whatever your thoughts on the package, the film itself remains outstanding.

for the 4K fans out there, it is definitely crisper and better colour-graded in certain scenes than the blu-ray release (which also features in this set, along with the extras disc), but other scenes still have aspects of unavaoidable 1977 grain, so you probably won't be using this as your reference/impress your friends copy.

"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."
giphy.gif

Last edited: