COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a medical provider so take my advice with a grain of salt. COVID-19 has a mortality rate lower than the flu. It is impacting children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and potentially those who have a genetic predisposition to this virus. If you don’t fall in to any of those categories you really don’t need to change your life because you should be practicing good hygiene regardless because it is flu season. Avoid contact with people who are sick, clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, wash your hands, cover your cough, and stay home if you are sick. These are practices that I already follow so I refuse to live my life in fear. Dwelling on something that is out of my control cannot possible help.

There's definitely a lot of uncertainty about at the moment, but I think a lot of this is down to not understanding the virus and its spread properly.
It's definitely a worry catching it from public transport, but the symptoms don't sound too bad in the majority of cases, what we've been told is in the UK if you catch it you self-isolate for 14 days to prevent spread, and you'll probably be fine unless you are in the small percentile having strong reactions to it. Luckily my workplace is likely to be making working from home available, so even if I do catch it, I'll be able to continue working, and any days I'm too ill will be counted as sick days.

Reactions: komor
Not bothered, it's not The Black Death which killed 200 million or The Plague of Justinian which killed 25 million. It has a fairly low mortality rate. Slightly higher than normal flu. No the worry is if it mutates into something deadly like The Marburg Virus or the Ebola Zaire virus which have a 90% mortality rate. Then I'm worried. Just to cheer myself up I've been watching the 1975 BBC Series Survivors. On season 2 now. It's about a virus that escapes from a Chinese laboratory and infects the world.... Sound familiar?...... Might give Outbreak a watch at the weekend. Yep I'm a glutton for punishment.... Would definitely avoid flying. I'd had 3 flus in my life (nearly 60) and 2 were from flights back from the USA. The 2nd flu I got was in 2001 and 3 hours after I came home, I was zonked for 6 weeks. 2 Weeks with the flu and nearly 4 weeks to recover. The other two times were mild compared to that bastard....

I’m not a medical provider so take my advice with a grain of salt. COVID-19 has a mortality rate lower than the flu. It is impacting children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and potentially those who have a genetic predisposition to this virus. If you don’t fall in to any of those categories you really don’t need to change your life because you should be practicing good hygiene regardless because it is flu season. Avoid contact with people who are sick, clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, wash your hands, cover your cough, and stay home if you are sick. These are practices that I already follow so I refuse to live my life in fear. Dwelling on something that is out of my control cannot possible help.
It isn`t impacting children like you say - they can have it but it doesn`t harm them, because they have a different immune-system than adults. The virus is coming from animals and went over to human and isn`t searching a leak of the immune system - it is there and the immune system reacts to it - in this kind it is overreacting and leads to hearts colliding and lungs-diseases, which is the result of an overreaction of the immune system, that doesn`t know how to handle the virus. This overreaction isn`t happening when children get it, because the immune-system of them doesn`t respond to it and they are not in particular danger. But they can have it and be infectious - quarantine is the result.

Reactions: ash333
My family and I live in South Texas and on the coast no less so every year we are susceptible to receiving a hurricane. Every year at the start of hurricane season we stock up on rations just in case one comes our way and a few years back a category 4 hurricane hit us and for 6 days we were without running water, electricity, no cell service, all the streets were barricaded by fallen trees and limbs and couldn't get out and with water all the way up to our front door and the only way of knowing anything from the outside world about any kind of relief effort or how long it would take was by a tiny windup radio and it was old and it just so happen to break so we had no way of knowing anything.

With that being said we aren't taking any chances, were rationing up just in case it gets worse, who knows...the strain of this virus could mutate and become something that covers the globe and there's no vaccine for it. We'd rather be prepared then caught with our pants down so to speak. Just saying...

Last edited:
My family and I live in South Texas and on the coast no less so every year we are susceptible to receiving a hurricane. Every year at the start of hurricane season we stock up on rations just in case one comes our way and a few years back a category 4 hurricane hit us and for 6 days we were without running water, electricity, no cell service, all the streets were barricaded by fallen trees and limbs and couldn't get out and with water all the way up to our front door and the only way of knowing anything from the outside world about any kind of relief effort or how long it would take was by a tiny windup radio and it was old and it just so happen to break so we had no way of knowing anything.

With that being said we aren't taking any chances, were rationing up just in case it gets worse, who knows...the strain of this virus could mutate and become something that covers the globe and there's no vaccine for it. We'd rather be prepared then caught with our pants down so to speak. Just saying...

Don't see the point. The UK has a population of 66 million people. It can only support a population of 45 million with current food stocks. Hoarding would simply deprive the survivors of a limited food source. Most food you purchase is highly perishable and not meant to last long. We no longer live on a island in which there is plenty of food and water to last months. Food supplies would run out in days. Only 50 years ago a UK population could have survived 4 months on available resources. That's the reality of our modern world. No reliance on local produce and too much reliance on imported food stock. We ****** if a pandemic happens. It really would be kiss your ass goodbye time.

I think there is nothing to say against buying larger supplies of food etc - the result is that you don`t have to do it very often and it lowers the chances of being infected (with corona or a flu) - just don`t buy out the whole market - that`s all. Every industry can react on slight changes to what people need and want to buy. It just has to be in an amount that is justifiable and there would be no problem.

SARS had a mortality rate of ~10% and was contained within 6 months, people barely even remember it. The main concern here is how far and fast it's spreading, people need to stop breaking quarantine and we should be fine. If you're immunocompromised you should definitely be taking steps to avoid contact, but that goes for any virus.

SARS had a mortality rate of ~10% and was contained within 6 months, people barely even remember it. The main concern here is how far and fast it's spreading, people need to stop breaking quarantine and we should be fine. If you're immunocompromised you should definitely be taking steps to avoid contact, but that goes for any virus.

Yep but you always get the prat who's not well and still insists in coming into work and infecting every one.....

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
My family and I have already started preparing for the worst. Stocking up on water, rations, medical supplies, windup radios lanterns and a gas powered generator is being considered as well and other necessities.
Jeez, cool your jets. This is the kind of reaction the World Health Organisation DON'T want......

No wonder your government won't tell you the truth about UFO's and Extraterrestrials!!! :p

Imagine if you worked in the public transport business like me.....?

There's taking precautions (washing your hands regularly) and then there's Doomsday Prepping!!! :p

Hopefully it doesn't get that far!
/QUOTE]

If it does get that far people will simply be overrun with the situation. We simply won't be able to cope. I've been watching the classic drama Survivors over the past few weeks and I'd say it's a pretty good scenario of what would happen if it got that bad.... Mankind would suddenly be in the dark ages again. All thanks to a chicken in a basket.

The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization

Perspective folks. This is nothing more than the main stream media’s new climate change.

Keep calm and carry on.

How would we revert back to the dark ages? That makes no sense?

The shear amount of people in the world today allows you to have a level of freedom people even 100 years ago and allow you to do what you want. If enough people are killed by a lethal pathogen then society goes back to basics and a lot of things we take for granted is no longer there. How do clothes get made?, farming how's that done?. How do you get food on the table?. Medicine ceases to have any useful purpose because the technology is no longer there to provide it. Flying ceases. Basic transport ceases etc. Our Modern world suddenly crashes down around us and we're back to basics.

The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization

Perspective folks. This is nothing more than the main stream media’s new climate change.

Keep calm and carry on.
You should calm down - you`re ideologizing - the discussion is about the Cvid-19 virus and not how you think about the climate change.

"This virus is just as bad as the Ebola virus "

:rofl:

Calm down. Ebola death rate is/was 90 % Corona about 3 %.

Why wage panic !

...just keep your hands clean.

:thumbs:

The death rate is between 0.5% - 2%. Most of the people dying are older folks with compromised immune systems and poor health.

Last edited:
Reactions: komor
We went to our local Costco to buy toilet paper, as we do when needed, but they were sold out. Seems silly that people are buying so much toilet paper and bottled water. It's not like the tap water is contaminated, etc. People need to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.