Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [USA]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $29.99

81dLx4G+KQL._SX385_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news considering it's been over ten years since the previous UK steel which had all of the issues exhibited by steels of the late 2000s:-

View attachment 481888

BD forum database says this is the only steel the movie ever got until now. Pretty curious what this ends up being.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...s'not bad. Kinda wish it had been green instead of red.

I do really like it but I’m also surprised they never went with green.

If you squint it looks like the Bruce lee film art (can’t remember what one now)

I liked it at first, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like just a cut 'n' paste photo collage with a filter applied to it. Looking at the original screenshots reveals that the whole cover image was flipped. What would have been wrong with it the original way?

CTHD 2.png
CTHD 3.png
CTHD 4.png
CTHD 1.png

CTHD flip.png

Also, is Dark Cloud's bird really so important? He should be holding the comb. :)

Quick mockup (not very good) of what it might have looked like in green (a professional version wouldn't look so much like Looney Tunes):

CTHD flip green.png

Last edited:
The more I look at it the less I like it. It’s definitely just thrown together. The similarly styled Leon cover is nicer than this (which isn’t saying much).
It just feels a bit...off. Michelle Yeoh is just sort of floating there to the side, & her placing offsets the whole thing. If she’d been to the right of the sword, on the opposite side of Dark Cloud & around the same scale, I think it might have looked better!

Not bad at all, but could definitely be improved as @ethnosax pointed out (I also prefer it in green). Main thing bugging me is the placement of the title though.

Reactions: gAnX
Good news considering it's been over ten years since the previous UK steel which had all of the issues exhibited by steels of the late 2000s:-

View attachment 481888
For reals. It would have taken some pretty horrific artwork choices on this new one to keep me from replacing that relic. As you said, it commits nearly every steelbook sin imaginable, save for its oddly tasteful interior art (left-justified, to boot).

Reactions: virkia
Not bad at all, but could definitely be improved as @ethnosax pointed out (I also prefer it in green). Main thing bugging me is the placement of the title though.
You know, now that you mention it, yes, the title is really bad. It's just so obviously a regular title treatment that's been rotated 90 degrees. If you were going to make a vertical treatment for this (which could be cool), it wouldn't look like that. I hate to skip a release for a movie that I've wanted a steelbook for, but there are too many things about this one that are off.

If that's the steelbook I'll wait for the standard 4k pressing amray. Not buying artwork that bad!
Isn't there already a 4K for this, though? Is there anything new about this release, other than the case?

Reactions: Noodles