Dallas Buyers Club (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Kimchidvd Exclusive #18) [Korea]

keyjey

Premium Supporter
Aug 18, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Release date: December 20, 2014
Price: Both Editions are $34.99 (Promotional price)
Purchase link:
Fullslip Edition + 36P Booklet (in English & Korean)
Lenticular Edition + 16P Booklet (in English & Korean)
Pre-order date: October 30th, 10:00AM (Korea Time) Check your local time HERE
Notes:
1/4 slip edition will be available later after exclusive edition pre-order starts.
Lenticular Edition - 1800copies including Korean qty
Fullslip Ediition - 1400copies including Korean qty

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Releases

Package Shots

Type A: Full Slip + 36P Booklet (in English & Korean)

10351251_1630384523855425_3597839199238978863_n.jpg

Type B: Lenti + 16P Booklet (in English & Korean)

997075_1630384553855422_7314961883977559156_n.jpg

dbc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? If you look at the lenticular slip, it looks as if he is standing a few feet from the car but the bonnet of the closest car only reaches his knees and the roof of the estate car behind doesn't even reach his waist. It looks ridiculous.

They've obviously just used forced perspective to make McConaughey stand out more, film posters use this technique all the time.

But yes, I do agree. Plus, I really dislike that back artwork, it looks one of those inspirational pictures your friends post on Facebook.

Really? If you look at the lenticular slip, it looks as if he is standing a few feet from the car but the bonnet of the closest car only reaches his knees and the roof of the estate car behind doesn't even reach his waist. It looks ridiculous.

Yes, really! If he is stood a couple of feet in front of the car, like he is, and the shot is taken from such a low angle, like it is, that is the type of shot you are going to get, surely? Obviously that picture is photoshopped, so perspectively it may not be completely accurate, but I don't necessarily think it looks ridiculous.

Still awaiting for my full slip hope i receive it soon as with their Ironman orders they have had alot of issues. Wish everyone good luck...

Reactions: harry
Yes, really! If he is stood a couple of feet in front of the car, like he is, and the shot is taken from such a low angle, like it is, that is the type of shot you are going to get, surely? Obviously that picture is photoshopped, so perspectively it may not be completely accurate, but I don't necessarily think it looks ridiculous.

I disagree. I am not saying it is an awful Steelbook release, simply that it cannot be considered as one of the best releases of the year with such a glaring flaw. The actual movie poster shows how it should look:

dallas_buyers_club.jpg

Reactions: ValBro and augustus
I disagree. I am not saying it is an awful Steelbook release, simply that it cannot be considered as one of the best releases of the year with such a glaring flaw. The actual movie poster shows how it should look:

View attachment 125741

We shall agree to disagree on this one 'negative ninja.'

I am guessing 90% of folks hadn't even contemplated the perspective 'issues', so I am not sure how you could qualify them as glaring is all.

I don't think we are. The perspective issues on the front of the Steelbook and the lenticular slip really let it down (unless Matthew McConaughey really is ten foot tall in the movie). The back of the Steelbook is poor compared to the front and has too much text. I must admit that the inside artwork is really good and the full slip does look very impressive though. I don't think this is as good overall as previous Kimchi releases. If any Kimchi release is a candidate for Steelbook of the year, it would be The Pianist in my opinion.

They've obviously just used forced perspective to make McConaughey stand out more, film posters use this technique all the time.

But yes, I do agree. Plus, I really dislike that back artwork, it looks one of those inspirational pictures your friends post on Facebook.
They didn't just use forced perspective--they adjusted McConaughey's position relative to the backdrop--and it definitely deterred my interest in the lenticular. I don't like to say this, but I 100% agree with @snooloui's assessment of this release.

We shall agree to disagree on this one 'negative ninja.'

I am guessing 90% of folks hadn't even contemplated the perspective 'issues', so I am not sure how you could qualify them as glaring is all.

I am in the 10%, I guess, because when I saw the lenti for the first time I guffawed
immediately. Matthew looks like he could play center for the Dallas Mavericks.

Well in 23 pages the perspective 'issue' was mentioned twice, and snooloui was one of them. The 'issue' doesn't seem to be anywhere close to a general consensus. The overwhelming majority in this thread are really enjoying this realease, and so they should, it looks stunning imo, and to a lot of others.

Reactions: justhedudeman
I hadn't noticed the "issue" until it was recently pointed out (thanks for that :p). I still think it's a gorgeous looking release though and can't wait to add it to my collection... hurry up Mr. Postman!

Reactions: meth head
Just logged into my KimchiDVD account and only just realised that I've got the full slip version on the way to me- Could swear i'd ordered the lenti!!

Not sure whether to be disappointed (1. this would of been my first steel lenti, and 2. all my steelbooks are covered with steelbook slipcases; this would kind of look 'off' compared to my other releases) or to be chuffed, as it does look a thing of beauty.

On another point- Can't wait to watch this movie again! Brought the film on regular amaray literally all of 2 Weeks before this steelbook was announced- Sold the Blu-ray before I watched it (thought i'd save the watch until I received this edition of the film- don't ask why, know there's zero logic! Maybe my mindset is it would feel more 'special' knowing that it would be watched upon delivery, and the film wouldn't be fresh in my mind after having seen it the previous month...)

Still not received my order as yet but i can wait a little as new year is here and their can be a slight delay but i hope i dont wait to long for it...

Looking for advice here, never ever bought direct from Kimchi before but I like these however with the Iron Man nightmare and the amount of negative comment's I'm reading about their customer service I am a little unsure as whether to bother or not, is the Iron man fiasco a one off? are they usuallly quite good and do they package well?. Any feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for advice here, never ever bought direct from Kimchi before but I like these however with the Iron Man nightmare and the amount of negative comment's I'm reading about their customer service I am a little unsure as whether to bother or not, is the Iron man fiasco a one off? are they usuallly quite good and do they package well?. Any feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated.

I've placed five orders with Kimchi and have, to date, never had any problems with any of them. However, others here have. My best advice would be to go to the Steelbook Retailer Zone in this forum and select the KimchiDVD thread. The posts in that thread detail other member's experiences and problems and also tips on how to avoid the pitfalls. No need to go all the way back to the first post in that thread, unless you want to. If you still have questions then that is the thread to post them in. Good luck!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: SteelbookGenius666