snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: June 25th, 2015
Purchase link: Despicable Me 1 & 2
Price: EUR 24.00

Ich---Einfach-Unverbesserlich-1&2-(SteelBook-Media-Markt-Exclusiv)-[Blu-ray-3D].png

[QUOTE="Apart from anything else, it's not a direct translation, that would likely be 'Jammerliches Ich' - What it says on the front cover is: 'I simply incorrigible'

Sorry but you're translation is not quite correct, 'jämmerlich' would rather be 'pathetic' .

And why not German titles - this film is also for kids under 10 who are not overly conversant with the English language.[/QUOTE]

Jammerlich as an adjective is 'wretched or pitiful' in German. In English as in German - wretched is a perfectly suitable substitute for 'despicable'
Thus 'Jammerliches Ich' is entirely appropriate, and certainly way better than we have at present!

@JackRegan

Trust me, it is not - jämmerlich has a totally different connotation in German. (I am working in the language field and despicable has many meanings but not jämmerlich in this context.)

As with many languages, the meaning is revealed by the context.:)

Well, I am German and we should not transfer English meanings into another language. "Jämmerlich" is an adjective describing someone who is like a crybaby. No reason to cry but crying all the time, something like that. But do not worry. That German "Unverbesserlich" actually does not exist in our language. Somebody invented the word imho. I did not know how to cope with that word when I first read the title of part 1.

That German "Unverbesserlich" actually does not exist in our language. Somebody invented the word imho. I did not know how to cope with that word when I first read the title of part 1.

Please have a look at Duden. Unverbesserlich is indeed a German word and exists, not invented.

@JackRegan

Trust me, it is not - jämmerlich has a totally different connotation in German. (I am working in the language field and despicable has many meanings but not jämmerlich in this context.)

As with many languages, the meaning is revealed by the context.:)

Out of curiosity I have just summoned up an onlne translator and typed in Jammerliches Ich - guess what it came up with?

Jammerlich can mean variously in German: Wretched (in appearance, or existence), another word for Wetched is Despicable. Contemptible (as in a contemptible person. Anther word for Contemptible is Despicable in any language you care to name)

it can also mean: Awful, or Terrible (as in a person or situation) - both alternative words for Despicable in either English OR German.

All these are meanings in German. Not because I say so, but because that's the way it is.

and, as you say, it can also mean Pathetic, or Pitiful - but not necessarily so.

Words, I need not remind you, in German just as in English or French or Swedish o name but a few, do not always have to conform to what you believe they initially mean - they can be used as alternatives, or as an alternate form.

I'm torn on this one. Really like the artwork and the fact that you get both films but I'm not sure where I'd put it on the shelf. With the "D"'s or with the "I"'s. I'm a little OCD when it comes to alphabetizing my collection and this would be a challenge.