DirecTv Records a Monster Q4

Jan 27, 2009
Anaheim,Ca
Adds 461,000 new net subscribers

Say what you will about the economy, but don't dare touch an American's television. Clearly bucking the trend is DirecTV, who managed to slip into rarefied air with outfits like Netflix by recording an absolutely marvelous Q4 2008. Beating analyst expectations by a solid mile, the satcaster added an amazing 461,000 new net subscribers in the quarter, with 301,000 -- the most in over three years -- coming in the US. DirecTV Latin America picked up the other 160,000, while a 1.47 percent churn rate was the lowest in nine years. In case you're scouting more good news, the company saw increased revenues in Q4 of 9 percent, while net income did slip 5 percent to $332 million. Of course, that may help explain the forthcoming price hike -- clearly it can charge more and get away with, so why not?

Link http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/10/directv-records-a-monster-q4-adds-461-000-new-net-subscribers/

Adds 461,000 new net subscribers

Say what you will about the economy, but don't dare touch an American's television. Clearly bucking the trend is DirecTV, who managed to slip into rarefied air with outfits like Netflix by recording an absolutely marvelous Q4 2008. Beating analyst expectations by a solid mile, the satcaster added an amazing 461,000 new net subscribers in the quarter, with 301,000 -- the most in over three years -- coming in the US. DirecTV Latin America picked up the other 160,000, while a 1.47 percent churn rate was the lowest in nine years. In case you're scouting more good news, the company saw increased revenues in Q4 of 9 percent, while net income did slip 5 percent to $332 million. Of course, that may help explain the forthcoming price hike -- clearly it can charge more and get away with, so why not?

Link http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/10/directv-records-a-monster-q4-adds-461-000-new-net-subscribers/

Its not because people love TV, its because they want HD, and of the digital crossover... come on people, think...

Make no mistake -- DirecTV had an amazing, if not unbelievable, fourth quarter of 2008. After reporting numbers that blew just about everyone away yesterday, analysts have been quick to pump out laudatory remarks. Sanford Bernstein's Craig Moffett noted that the satcaster "continued to defy gravity," and he suggested that "one could make a case that DirecTV has, at least so far, been as little impacted by the recession as any company in America." As for the company itself, it's looking to target "the middle market" going forward, which is a departure from its usual tactics of aiming straight for the higher-end. The outfit's CEO Chase Carey is anticipating Q1 2009 ARPU (average revenue per user) to grow around 2.5 percent, which makes sense given the upcoming price increases. Needless to say, DirecTV is on track for a very solid '09, and if you're interested in hearing more from both sides, just hop down to the links below.

Link http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/11/directv-q4-aftermath-focusing-on-middle-market-receiving-pra/

Its not because people love TV, its because they want HD, and of the digital crossover... come on people, think...
Thats some of the people but if you really think about it. Those people could have chosen something cheaper if its just for the conversion. For example cable or even Dish Network. I bet these are mostly people with HD sets or people just tired of their old provider.

Thats some of the people but if you really think about it. Those people could have chosen something cheaper if its just for the conversion. For example cable or even Dish Network. I bet these are mostly people with HD sets or people just tired of their old provider.

Like I said, they want HD.. cable HD sucks... lol.. Love to positive spin though... anything to make it look good in the economy..

So now DirecTv is going to lower their credit score requirement to allow more people to be approved for their system. Means more money for me!!! :D

Last edited:
Yeah March 4th to be exact. They are going up $3 and other services like HD and DVR service are going up .01 Since they will lower the requirement this means ill sign up more people and make more money lol :cool:

Not all people want HD believe it or not there's still plenty of folks out there clueless about this stuff, DTV and providers know this and they capitalize big time. Make no mistake Cali not everyone knows what we know I know folks in my fam who have an LCD TV and won't upgrade because it "looks" the same they've had DTV for years now.

Not all people want HD believe it or not there's still plenty of folks out there clueless about this stuff, DTV and providers know this and they capitalize big time. Make no mistake Cali not everyone knows what we know I know folks in my fam who have an LCD TV and won't upgrade because it "looks" the same they've had DTV for years now.
Very true because some people that i set up have an HDTV but dont want to pay that extra 10 bucks a month to see HD. Some people dont care. I cant live without my DVR and i hate watching sports in SD, but i mean thats just me. I know that not everyone out there is like that, but i know a lot of people that are.