Doctor Who: Series 3 (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: May 7th , 2018
Purchase link: HMV - Zavvi - Amazon UK - Zoom UK
Price: £24.99 (Amazon - Hmv) - £25.99 (Zavvi - Zoom)

71UMr43giIL._SL1500_.jpg

11697911-8354557949686360.jpg

11697911-6414557949571964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From Doctor Who FB:

Wow. Just wow.

Hopefully this means that they're listening to us... which also hopefully means that they'll re-release the Series 9 Steelbook since there have been those of us screaming at the top of our lungs for them to do so!

When is Series 4 likely to get a steelbook release?

Also is it likely that steelbook will include the 2009 specials or will they have their own steelbook?

It likely be some time before a Series 4 Steelbook- these things haven't really been.... timely... and I'm sure they'd include the specials with a Series 4 Steelbook, as it would be asinine if they didn't... but then again- they did release Sherlock: The Abominable Bride as a stand alone steelbook and not with series 4- so who knows? xD

That's gonna mess up the shelf.
Series 1 / Series 2 / Series 3 / Series 4 / David Tennant Specials / Series 5 / etc... xD
God forbid they start doing individual steelbooks for the Christmas Specials...
Just the same as the existing blu-ray (and dvd) releases, then. To date, the steelbooks have contained the same discs as the previous blu-ray/dvd release, so have included the Christmas Specials wherever they have been included as part of the original series release. To date, the latest Christmas Special is the only one that is only available as an 'orphan' release. All the others have been included as part of a full season release. In one case - Series 7 - as a result of fan pressure when they were originally planning to release the full series without the preceding year's Christmas Special: "fans had to petition for The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe to be included in the Complete Series 7 sets".

• Helpful Post
Reactions: FN-2187
Just the same as the existing blu-ray releases, then. To date, the steelbooks have contained the same discs as the previous blu-ray release, so have included the Christmas Specials wherever they have been included as part of the original series release. To date, the latest Christmas Special is the only one that is only available as an 'orphan' release. All the others have been included as part of a full season release (in one case - Series 7, I think - as a result of fan pressure when they were originally planning to release the full series without the preceding year's Christmas Special).

It really bugged me when Series 10 released without Twice Upon a Time... it was literally the only Christmas Special that I've ever truly loved.
Normally- the Christmas Specials are Doctor Who traditions that I can't stand... xD

The Return of Doctor Mysterio hurt me.... The Husbands of River Song was mediocre (good ending, though)... Last Christmas was alright... The Time of the Doctor was a complete mess... The Doctor the Widow, and the Wardrobe was bland... it feels like the Christmas Specials were dud after dud. So finally- when there's a Christmas Special that moves me to tears- OF COURSE its not going to be included with the Steelbook, haha!

But thank you- this is really helpful info. Series 10 is the only series I physically own, so I wouldn't have known, otherwise...

Things get curiouser and curiouser. I came across this post on Gally Base about the cover.

"Apparently the artist originally drew the Last of the Time Lords version but was told by BBCWW to change it. She pointed out that would be wrong and that the cover would be derided if she used the End of Time one and was told that the blond hair was "iconic" and that nobody would recognize it as the Master in the LotTL outfit."

Things get curiouser and curiouser. I came across this post on Gally Base about the cover.

"Apparently the artist originally drew the Last of the Time Lords version but was told by BBCWW to change it. She pointed out that would be wrong and that the cover would be derided if she used the End of Time one and was told that the blond hair was "iconic" and that nobody would recognize it as the Master in the LotTL outfit."
Just goes to show how little some people who make these decisions really know! You try to warn them - but, no, they know best so you do what they say. Only for them to realise that you were right in the first place! Been there, done that - many times! Lol!

This is legitimately hilarious. And I hope the artist saved a back-up of the Last of the Time Lords version because she KNEW that the fans would take umbrage with it. xD

Amazon seem to have updated the release date to 7th May so I assume this is the new date, they usually seem to be pretty accurate

The price is also down to £24.99, in line with HMV's pricing

BBCWW will still find a way to screw it up by enforcing the new logo, mark my words.

Apparently any range that has already started will continue with whatever branding it started with.

Rerelease DVDs and the steelbook collection will use the TV movie logo to keep consistency. The forthcoming Tom Baker series 12 will use the new logo, as will any future Blu-ray releases as well as obviously Jodie Whitaker's DVDs and Blu-rays.

That said, hopefully Peter Capaldi's first series will be consistent with series 9 and 10.