paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: December 4th , 2017
Purchase Links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Zoom UK - HMV
Price: £24.99 (Amazon - Hmv) - £29.99 (Zavvi ) - £27.99 (Zoom)
Notes: Steelbook includes Exclusive Bonus Disc

81S2atwNmxL._SY445_.jpg

815irrTaEcL._SL1500_.jpg 81BNKHPzcQL._SX342_.jpg 81dkxFz76bL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting...

Notice it doesn't say that it's an Amazon Exclusive, though...

BTW, Amazon is currently showing the price as being £39.39

fAn abandoned Doctor Who classic is brought to life. Starring Tom Baker and written by Douglas Adams, this is “Shada” for a modern audience, with footage upscaled to high definition, and incomplete footage now completed using high-quality animation.

It wasn't abandoned. J.N.T. first act as producer was to try and get it completed but wait for it, The BBC refused to allow it to be finished because..
Wait for it...
Drum roll

Blankety ******* Blank got priority..

Jesus I still feel like crying when I read that.....

Roger

• Thanks
Reactions: ghost1
It wasn't abandoned. J.N.T. first act as producer was to try and get it completed but wait for it, The BBC refused to allow it to be finished because..
Wait for it...
Drum roll

Blankety ******* Blank got priority..

Jesus I still feel like crying when I read that.....

Roger
Strike action at the BBC in November 1979, meant the studio scenes were never completed and the adventure was abandoned.

Now, thirty-eight years on, BBC Worldwide has announced that Shada, is to finally be completed, combining the original, remastered footage, with brand new colour animation to complete the story. The animation will feature the newly-recorded voices of the original cast, including Tom Baker as the Doctor and Lalla Ward as Romana, performing the original script. Shada will be released as a digital download on Friday 24th November, and on DVD and Bluray on Monday 4th December.

Tom Baker says:

“Shada was one of my favourite Doctor Who stories. I have many fond memories of shooting the location scenes in Cambridge, and it was disappointing not to finish the story in studio. I’m so glad that BBC Worldwide have found a way to bring fans a complete visual version.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10-10/doctor-who-shada-tom-baker/

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/BBC-Worldwide-Confirms-Completed-Shada-Download-DVD-Blu-ray.aspx

Last edited:
On Saturday 2nd December there will be a special screening of Shada at BFI Southbank, London. Further information will be available from bfi.org.uk from Monday 23rd October. Tickets for BFI members will be available from Tuesday 7th November, and for the public from Tuesday 14th November

It would be nice to know the percentage of Live action vs. Animated.
I'm not a huge Dr. Who fanboy - but Douglas Adams makes it a must have. (And Tom Baker WAS my fav of the old Doctors).

81S2atwNmxL._SY445_.jpg 81BNKHPzcQL._SX342_.jpg 815irrTaEcL._SL1500_.jpg 81dkxFz76bL._SL1500_.jpg

Special Features:

- Taken Out of Time (25' 39")
- Now and Then (12' 45")
- Strike, Strike, Strike! (27' 50")
- Studio Sessions - 1979 (44' 38")
- Dialogue Sessions (14' 16")
- Model Filming (04' 36")
- Deleted Scenes (01' 22")
- Title Sequence Films (TBC)
- Live Action Reference Footage (02' 48")
- 1979 Gallery (04' 50")
- 2017 Gallery (02' 52)

Last edited:
Interesting...

Notice it doesn't say that it's an Amazon Exclusive, though...

BTW, Amazon is currently showing the price as being £39.39
It would be nice to know the percentage of Live action vs. Animated.
I'm not a huge Dr. Who fanboy - but Douglas Adams makes it a must have. (And Tom Baker WAS my fav of the old Doctors).
Purely from memory, episodes 1 to maybe 3 had perhaps around 75%, but it gets less and less as the story goes on. That was the only thing I disliked about the 90's version that was constructed for VHS and later released on Dvd; the story really sucks you in with loads of existing footage then the last couple of episodes were wrapped up with Tom giving a couple of minutes of description as nothing was shot. It's that lack of ending that frustrated me and is the reason this version will feel a lot more complete.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
artwork looks fantastic but at 30 rubs wont even look twice, this need to be 20 max,
Agreed. And it's kind of weird how the classic DW era is represented on steelbook by such a random assortment of stories (granted, because almost none of it was HD).

• Thanks
Reactions: yardman
Interested, but no way at this price. As others have pointed out, £20 is the maximum it should cost.

And I dare say like Power, it will also end up being sold at HMV and FP.

£10.00 less at Zavvi, so Amazon will surely drop their price soon
I believe Amazon only follows HMV when it comes to price drops.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty and pretty funky artwork . . . come to that all of the DOCTOR WHO steelbooks have been well above average with nary a dud among them (except for the clunky S. 5 jumbo) :thumbs:

Quick reminder of the DOCTOR WHO steelbooks (2010 - present day):-
14282_large.jpg
149367_large.jpg
149054_large.jpg
167930_large.jpg
173907_large.jpg
180972_large.jpg
190802_large.jpg

. . . and not forgetting:-
136291_large.jpg
120150_large.jpg

Last edited:
Now on Zoom for £27.99 plus the usual SIGNUP10 for additional 10% off
Thereby making it a much more palatable £25.19.

Amazon pre-order cancelled in preference to this, saving £14.20 in the process (yes, I know that the Amazon price will undoubtedly come down at some point, but most likely to match HMV's which I fully expect to be £29.99 along with Zavvi).