Doctor Who: The Macra Terror (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release date: March 25, 2019
Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £28.99 (Zavvi) - £32.99 (Amazon) - £24.99 (HMV)

81hrh8xpbFL._SY445_.jpg

405609-04b3a47827dfb125917b5a88d80aef77.jpg 71aSUHD76NL._SX466_.jpg 81Ke+7W2K8L._SX522_.jpg

71mnB92V8dL._SY500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor Who Season 4 from 1966/1967
Patrick Troughton

Product Description
The original 1967 master recordings of 'The Macra Terror' were lost soon after the programme's original transmission. However, audio-only recordings have survived and have been used here to create a brand new fully animated reconstruction of this lost classic. With highly detailed hand-drawn animation carefully lip-synced with the original 1967 audio, this new production allows viewers to once again experience this Doctor Who chiller in full.

Really looking forward to this. It's not a "classic" story but still really enjoyable. I remember last time I listened to the off air soundtrack I noticed how visual a story it was so it will be nice to get some animation on it.

It doesn't mention it anywhere in the product description but I hope it is a definitive package like Power of the Daleks. That had a colour animation, a black and white animation (which had a film train effect which made it look a bit more like it was from the 60's), a telesnap reconstruction, photo galleries etc.

Does make me wonder what their plans are for these complete season box sets they have started? I assumed they would have left all this sort of stuff to be exclusive selling points for the box sets.

Really looking forward to this. It's not a "classic" story but still really enjoyable. I remember last time I listened to the off air soundtrack I noticed how visual a story it was so it will be nice to get some animation on it.
I saw it on it's original transmission and you really have to see it to appreciate it. it is a classic in every sense. But will I buy this?. No. The only way i want to watch it again is the way I did back in the 60's, an actual recovered print. Sorry but these animations don't interest me.

I haven't really bothered buying these individual doctor who releases, I don't find any of the ones released so far that iconic. Now, if Genesis of the Daleks was released in steelbook form, I would buy that in a heartbeat

I assume complete-season steelbooks will happen as soon as sales of the regular blu-ray boxed sets start to slow down, so it's hard to get excited about the random lost-story releases. Even one steelbook for each classic Doctor, with several of the real classic stories—that would be fun.

I saw it on it's original transmission and you really have to see it to appreciate it. it is a classic in every sense. But will I buy this?. No. The only way i want to watch it again is the way I did back in the 60's, an actual recovered print. Sorry but these animations don't interest me.
Really jealous that you got to see it back then. The frustrating thing about these reconstructions is that it's all very subjective. The animations give a good visual guide to help you understand what's going on, but it looks like a cartoon. The telesnap reconstructions are visually more accurate but only represent the second the telesnap was taken. I think the good thing about releases like this and the Shada bluray is that they compile every possible version so you can choose the one that suits you best. None of them are as ideal as having the story recovered, but I'm happy to have anything that will help aid my understanding of the story.

Really jealous that you got to see it back then. The frustrating thing about these reconstructions is that it's all very subjective. The animations give a good visual guide to help you understand what's going on, but it looks like a cartoon. The telesnap reconstructions are visually more accurate but only represent the second the telesnap was taken. I think the good thing about releases like this and the Shada bluray is that they compile every possible version so you can choose the one that suits you best. None of them are as ideal as having the story recovered, but I'm happy to have anything that will help aid my understanding of the story.

On the down side you have to be an ancient sod like me to have seen them originally

Still waiting for them to release complete steelbooks for the rest of David Tenant's run. I'm impatient for them to get to Matt Smith's doctor... I love the original painted artworks commissioned for the series 1 - 3 steelbooks (in the New Who numbering system).

001_.jpg
002_.jpg
003_.jpg

Reactions: Crugsy