Doctor Who - The Specials (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: September 2, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom - Zavvi
Price: £24.99 (Amazon) - £28.99 (Zoom) - £27.99 (Zavvi)

1562152730029.jpeg

1562152761538.jpeg

1562152804602.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s beautiful and hits you right in the feels with Tennants last scene

Only nitpick is they are using the new Doctor Who logo. Why? Considering that wasn’t his logo in that era. Seems silly to me

EDIT

Was the Cybermen in these specials? I don’t think they were but ones on the back artwork

There were. The 1st special was them in Victorian London. For me personally this is where New Who started to go downhill rapidly but I'll get this to complete the set with the 1st 4 steelbooks so I have all of David Tennant on steelbook. That Cyberman special was the last SD Dr Who and then they went HD.

Ordered from Amazon, glad to see this set coming out so soon. And dig the front artwork (although the back art is a bit of a jumble).

On a side note, my girlfriend has never seen an episode of Doctor Who so I was waiting for this set to come out to start the journey with her.

As someone who has never seen a single episode of the doctor, this Steelbook is beautiful and intriguing

They already put it on the Series 4 steelbook. Wankers.

Sadly the BBC don't listen. There was and still is major complains about the use of that logo even before the Tom Baker 1st season on blu-ray came out. And it was a very very vocal majority. The BBC are so desperate to flog of that recent season as the greatest thing since sliced bread they are determined to shove that logo down our throat no mater what. They really really don't listen and they never will.......

As someone who has never seen a single episode of the doctor, this Steelbook is beautiful and intriguing

As someone who loathes the last 6 years of Dr Who and consider it the most appalling trivel ever inflicted on British TV, I can't say the same about the David Tennant era which in my option is the best Dr Who since the Philip Hinchcliffe era of Dr Who and worth watching. So much good stuff in that 3 years he did. Watch the likes of "Girl in the Fireplace", "School Reunion" or "Blink". If you don't like any of that you won't like any Nu-Who.

It's interesting having Infinite Quest and Dreamland included on the set. Apparently the bonus disc is a bluray but I'd like to know if they are upscaled. Wikipedia says Dreamland was made in HD, even though it was only released on DVD previously. I'm not sure about Infinite Quest. I think having superior versions of those would be enough to tempt my in to buying this.

Sadly the BBC don't listen. There was and still is major complains about the use of that logo even before the Tom Baker 1st season on blu-ray came out. And it was a very very vocal majority. The BBC are so desperate to flog of that recent season as the greatest thing since sliced bread they are determined to shove that logo down our throat no mater what. They really really don't listen and they never will.......

As someone who loathes the last 6 years of Dr Who and consider it the most appalling trivel ever inflicted on British TV, I can't say the same about the David Tennant era which in my option is the best Dr Who since the Philip Hinchcliffe era of Dr Who and worth watching. So much good stuff in that 3 years he did. Watch the likes of "Girl in the Fireplace", "School Reunion" or "Blink". If you don't like any of that you won't like any Nu-Who.
I hated the idea of them using that new logo on classic bluray releases. What I've done is kinda convince myself that it's a logo created for the brand rather than the new season specifically. I know that's not technically true, but it was the Tom Baker bluray that used it way before any Chibnall-related stuff and it will end up being used on a lot more classic stuff than Chibnall stuff. So yeah, the only way I can accept it is by using that logic!

I agree about your new series comments...to me as a classic fan it was never as good but it at least kept the spirit of the show for the most part. But in recent years it felt like it was getting further and further from that core element. The things I didn't enjoy ended up outweighing the things I did, until I finally gave up on it a few years back. As you say though, there are gems in the new series just as there was in the old series.

Reactions: Lollard2002
So yeah, the only way I can accept it is by using that logic!
What I cannot accept is that they put this logo midways during an ongoing series of steelbooks. So you have Series 1-3 with one logo, and Series 4 + Specials with an entirely different one.

Does anyone print custom steelbook spines? :)

Yeah they are really trying to sell the new series, most likely because we now have a woman as the Doctor, something they can market more.

However the sad thing is the new series is awful, the writing is worse, the plots are sloppy and Jodie is just not a good Doctor.

Respect what came before and use the proper logos for each era, it's not hard.

That’s beautiful and hits you right in the feels with Tennants last scene

Only nitpick is they are using the new Doctor Who logo. Why? Considering that wasn’t his logo in that era. Seems silly to me

EDIT

Was the Cybermen in these specials? I don’t think they were but ones on the back artwork

Ha, glad I'm not the only one catching feels from that cover.
Have to admit, I stopped watching Dr Who when Tennant left. I'm told Matt Smith did a good job but I didn't bother. I watched some Capaldi to see what all the fuss was about with him and was not impressed. Watched some of the new series and I'm not a fan either. Don't know why, I don't mind a female Dr, it's about time, but just not enjoying the stories or the sidekicks.

Ha, glad I'm not the only one catching feels from that cover.
Have to admit, I stopped watching Dr Who when Tennant left. I'm told Matt Smith did a good job but I didn't bother. I watched some Capaldi to see what all the fuss was about with him and was not impressed. Watched some of the new series and I'm not a fan either. Don't know why, I don't mind a female Dr, it's about time, but just not enjoying the stories or the sidekicks.

I couldn't watch Matt Smith, the writing got worse and he just came off too childish making it seem more like a children's show which should have been on CBBC rather than something for both adults and children, I mean don't get me wrong Russell T Davies didn't have Oscar worthy writing but for the show it was but it did its job.

Peter Capaldi was great, but once again the writing was awful and you could see the political stuff creeping up more.

Now it's more about politics and showing how diverse they are within a story rather then just focusing on Sci-Fi, aliens and weird stuff.

I don't like to be that "omg it's all politics and other far left stuff" guy, I really don't but this is the one show I used to enjoy where I can go "yeah...people have a point", it's that obvious. Like as far as the female timelord thing they had plenty of female characters they could have used for a spin off show or something but they didn't bother, then they could have said Missy was actually the Rani who the Master swapped bodies with to escape Gallifrey when he was sent back at the End of Time episode since the Master used to be about body swapping and the like in older classic episodes and they could have had a cool thing story wise but again it was purely to test the waters for a female timelord which we then got.