Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.38
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

1.jpg

• Limited Edition SteelBook (2000 copies), featuring artwork by Candice Tripp
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Original 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster,
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

Last edited:
Hey @Wreck, the j-card lists Special addition Contents as "Brand New 4k Restoration" yet it only has one disc that appears to just be standard blu-ray and not UHD. Can you shed some light on this?

Hey @Wreck, the j-card lists Special addition Contents as "Brand New 4k Restoration" yet it only has one disc that appears to just be standard blu-ray and not UHD. Can you shed some light on this?
It's a 4K restoration scan
That's not the same thing as 4K UHD format

Standard Blu-ray is normal for this release
Restoration Scan can be 2K/4K/8K

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Will this be same as the 1-disc UK steelbook? Or can we expect glossy finish?
It's the Arrow Video release
Same steelbook as the UK matte finish

USA release is Region A locked
UK release is Region B locked
Disc 1 Theatrical Cut

Last edited:
Sorry for warming this thread up again - now that I "found" this place I felt compelled to share this...

I've been combining Arrow steelbooks with their limited edition box sets to create my own custom-made "deluxe editions" as they've come to call their own official recent steelbook-box set combos.

Of the films I wanted to do, Donnie Darko was the most difficult, as I wanted to combined this one-disc steelbook with the new two-disc UHD set.

So first I set out to find an inexpensive two-disc steelbook set from which I could "harvest" the disc tray. I found an ad offering a slightly worn copy of the German Amazing Spider-man 2 steelbook for 1€ plus shipping. This I then dismantled - which felt kind of odd because it's actually a decent steelbook. All the 'bossing and I believe spot-gloss on the webs... I mean, comparing this to all the sh!t that's being released today?
Well, as I don't care for this film the remnants of this SB will probably end up in the waste. Still, makes you wonder if yesterday's collectible is inevitably tomorrow's trash...
_20210920_231720.JPG

Removing the tray from the Spidey was not much of an issue - but removing the one-disc tray from the Donnie SB was obviously a different matter. I grabbed it recently on the 'bay, and it did not come cheap, so doctoring around on a limited edition like this... Couldn't help a recurring feeling of "why the f$ck am I doing this".

But in the end it worked out fine, I'm quite happy with the new package...
_20210920_231607.JPG_20210920_231620.JPG_20210920_231705.JPG_20210920_231641.JPG_20210920_231654.JPG
The only thing I don't quite like is the Blu-ray logo on the spine of the SB - since, well, there is no standard HD Blu-ray inside anymore. But oh well ...:pompus:

Still, it was kinda fun. Next time I might try to remove the old glue completely from the spine so it doesn't look so sh!tty from the inside. If anyone here has some more tips on such mods, feel free to share!
I'm done with the Arrows, though, I think. But let's see what else could use a modification. Enough 4k's without steelbooks around I guess... ;)

Last edited: