Dune - In theaters October 22, 2021

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 8 Votes
Title: Dune

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen

Release: 2020-11-20

Plot: Set in the year 10,191 amidst a feudal interstellar society in which noble houses are in charge of individual planets, the House Atreides accepts the stewardship of the coveted spice-rich planet Arrakis. As the noble family takes ahold of Arrakis, tensions between houses arise and ignites a battle for control of the planet.

spiral_3-1200x939.jpg
13362_tn.jpg
xSieppaa.JPG

Last edited:
I finished reading the first book a few days ago, I have to say that both of the trailers have been really underwhelming to me. I'm going to watch the film rooting for it to be great but there is so much action/marvel-esk stuff in the trailers that's not in the books which makes me worried this might not be the contemplative, almost meditative story that makes Dune what it is. But hell, I'm going to look forward to seing it when it comes out.

I finished reading the first book a few days ago, I have to say that both of the trailers have been really underwhelming to me. I'm going to watch the film rooting for it to be great but there is so much action/marvel-esk stuff in the trailers that's not in the books which makes me worried this might not be the contemplative, almost meditative story that makes Dune what it is. But hell, I'm going to look forward to seing it when it comes out.

Seen the Lynch version. I loved the books and the Lynch version ...

Given the cast and the director I want this to be amazing but the first trailer wasn't anything special and I was actually bored watching this latest one. Not good signs...

Reactions: Noodles
Seen the Lynch version. I loved the books and the Lynch version ...
I actually never watched the Lynch version! I read the book this month and decided that I wanted to watch Dune 2021 as the first on screen version I watch. Would you recommend the Lynch version? I almost exclusively heard bad things about it (pretty much apart from you saying that you loved it and a few others)

I actually never watched the Lynch version! I read the book this month and decided that I wanted to watch Dune 2021 as the first on screen version I watch. Would you recommend the Lynch version? I almost exclusively heard bad things about it (pretty much apart from you saying that you loved it and a few others)

Wait for the new one. Then watch Lynch's. Maybe better that way ... :thumbs:

Of course there are the TV shows but ... I'd wait as it is this close ...

Reactions: Vega
Has it been said whether you need to watch the original film to fully understand/appreciate this one? I can't stand Lynch's stuff and really don't fancy sitting through yet more of his boring drivel just so I can follow this one.

Given the cast and the director I want this to be amazing but the first trailer wasn't anything special and I was actually bored watching this latest one. Not good signs...
Same tbh. Didn't really have a clue what was going on in the trailer and just switched off after a while. Hoping the film itself will be much better than the trailer makes out of course, but I feel they've gone too "Hollywood", which I assumed would happen sooner or later with Villeneuve... shame if so.

Reactions: tommyh84
Same tbh. Didn't really have a clue what was going on in the trailer and just switched off after a while. Hoping the film itself will be much better than the trailer makes out of course, but I feel they've gone too "Hollywood", which I assumed would happen sooner or later with Villeneuve... shame if so.

You did not have a clue what was going on yet you say they've gone too "Hollywood" ... IMO does not make sense. :naughty:

Has it been said whether you need to watch the original film to fully understand/appreciate this one? I can't stand Lynch's stuff and really don't fancy sitting through yet more of his boring drivel just so I can follow this one.

To fully fully fully you might to want read the books, see the TV show see the Lynch version. But no ... :naughty:

Prisoners,Sicario and arrival are already too "hollywood".

Maelstrom, Polytechnique and Incendies are the ones you can consider "non hollywood"
To fully fully fully you might to want read the books, see the TV show see the Lynch version. But no ... :naughty:
Or watch the fantastic documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" :thumbs:

Reactions: Space Cadet
@Genocide You are correct. Seen Polytechinique many many times - love it. Own PA Incendies, seen once love it too. Missed Maelstrom (is it good ?) ja Jodorosky's Dune ( I know it's good ) - but on my "to see"-list ...

Reactions: Genocide
@Genocide then again, you would call Poly too hollywood if it had even one big Hwood name, wouldn't you ?
Not really, i would put Enemy in the non hollywood aswell.

For Maelstrom, it was average.I probably need to watch it again.

Incendies is the best one for me.Polytechnique was good also.French is my first language, so it's probably easier for me the canadian movies of Villeneuve.

Yes , you should absolutely watch Jodorowsky's Dune before the release of the movie if you can ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Space Cadet