Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: BestBuy
Price: $32.99

dunkirk steelbook.jpg

Previous artwork:
BUqBYTJ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice price :hungry: The UK got shafted with a non release :wtf:

First let me say that I haven't seen this film yet.

Maybe it has already been said somewhere but there has to be a reason this wasn't released as a steelbook in the UK.

I wonder if it's because this time somebody decided, and maybe rightfully so, that this is a film that shouldn't be (glorified?) with a steelbook because of the subject matter relating to the UK.

In good taste.

Unlike say how Saving Private Ryan covers have, I believe, shells, or a box of shells for a movie showing the realities of war with arms detached, insides spilled out and so on.

Very poor taste in my opinion.

Maybe it has already been said somewhere but there has to be a reason this wasn't released as a steelbook in the UK.

I wonder if it's because this time somebody decided, and maybe rightfully so, that this is a film that shouldn't be (glorified?) with a steelbook because of the subject matter relating to the UK.

In good taste.

Unlike say how Saving Private Ryan covers have, I believe, shells, or a box of shells for a movie showing the realities of war with arms detached, insides spilled out and so on.

I don't know if that is the case- but you're making a lot of sense with your reasoning. And while I didn't 'enjoy' Dunkirk- I would say that it wasn't exploitative or in any way a glorification of war.
Dunkirk and Saving Private Ryan are somewhat horrific in nature- and I think that there's an aspect to war cinema that necessitates such a brutal excessiveness to remind people that war is tragic, war is ugly, and war is above all- unnecessary in of itself. Despite Dunkirk's narrative and pacing errs- I don't personally think that it ever was aimed to be a tasteless rendition of the events that occurred.

That being said- this didn't strike 'close to home' like how it would've for countries in the U.K. but I, however, being Japanese- and having been raised in Hawaii a mere 10 minutes away from Pearl Harbor- always had a distain for Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor film particularly because it was a chest-pounding, glorification, popcorn-y version of a national tragedy... I mean, it's a MICHAEL BAY film. But that is a film that comes across as tasteless to me- and I can't separate myself from the personal aspect of it being so close for me..... maybe that's comparable to some people in the U.K.- and I'd love to hear if that is the case or not.

I don't know if that is the case- but you're making a lot of sense with your reasoning. And while I didn't 'enjoy' Dunkirk- I would say that it wasn't exploitative or in any way a glorification of war.
Dunkirk and Saving Private Ryan are somewhat horrific in nature- and I think that there's an aspect to war cinema that necessitates such a brutal excessiveness to remind people that war is tragic, war is ugly, and war is above all- unnecessary in of itself. Despite Dunkirk's narrative and pacing errs- I don't personally think that it ever was aimed to be a tasteless rendition of the events that occurred.

Maybe I didn't word it quite right. I didn't mean that either of the films (Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan) glorified WWII. Because I don't feel that way at all.

I only meant that a steelbook might have been seen as "tasteless" or "glorifying"

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
Maybe I didn't word it quite right. I didn't mean that either of the films (Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan) glorified WWII. Because I don't feel that way at all.

I only meant that a steelbook might have been seen as "tasteless" or "glorifying"

I mean... the only thing about that I could really think would be insensitive is the Steelbook release for Inglorious Basterds.... but that issue was resolved by removing the swastika from the Steelbook and theatrical posters.

In good taste.

quick genuine question why did germany get one then, on your same basis? :confused::confused::confused:

no i think you find uk as stated earlier just got shafted yet again.

basil :thumbs:

andy whats the finish on this and how much would it be shipped to the uk?

cheers

I believe it's matte.

Shipping to UK is the same for 1-3 items - would work best if you had purchased an item in a GB already and wanted something else to soften the shipping cost.

andy whats the finish on this and how much would it be shipped to the uk?

cheers
Hi basil, I just made this chart the other day actually. Unfortunately, it costs a bit more to ship to the UK than a country like Portugal or Germany.
UK Shippping Prices with USPS
0oz - 8oz $14.00
9oz - 2lb $23.50
2lb1oz - 3lb $35.75
3lb1oz - 4lb $51.50
4lb1oz - 5lb $68.30
5lb1oz - 6lb $71.65
6lb1oz - 7lb $75.00
7lb1oz - 8lb $78.35
8lb1oz - 9lb $81.70
9lb1oz - 10lb $85.05
10lb1oz - 11lb $88.20
11lb1oz - 12lb $91.35

I know you guys don't use oz (ounces) and lbs (pounds) so;
8oz (1/2 pound) is .2267962kg
1lb is .4535924kg
5lb is 2.267962kg
10lb is 4.535924kg

And to give you an idea of weight
Blade Runner 2049 Steelbook - Both the regular and the 4K Steelbook weigh about 7 ounces
Stranger Things 4K Target exclusive weighs about 13 ounces
A Blu Ray (2-disc) with a slip weighs about 4 ounces
A Blu Ray and a Steelbook in a small FedEx box weighs about 1lb
A Blu Ray, Steelbook and copy of Stranger Things in a small FedEx box weighs about 1lb 13oz.

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil
  • Thanks
Reactions: goufcustom
really nice surprise this morning i wen to BB and saw a bunch of these for 15 bucks, initially i passed on it since blufans supposedly would come up with a wea and they cancelled it, i got it today and i must confess i was thinking the finished of the steel was cheap matte, but is not too bad, not a fan of the art but i need a steelbook of this great film in my life lol