Event Horizon - 25th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Collector's Edition) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 8, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99

Event Horizon Collector's Edition.jpg

Last edited:
Ffs this is matte?

I was so up for this release and it’s just getting worse and worse

Not sure I can support this sh!t anymore. Printed banner on slip and matte steel. It’s bullsh!t

I feel the same way, and thought about swapping the steelbook for the US but it's too expensive fiddling like this.

And clearly the studios are saving some money by not printing and sticking the j-card on...but it's a worrying trend.

Not sounding like a parrot, but at least we are still getting these releases and not having to 'rip' them or going the kaleidescape route, although with the recession on the way physical titles might dry up a bit.

Reactions: Flloydo
I feel the same way, and thought about swapping the steelbook for the US but it's too expensive fiddling like this.
I’d love to do that too but like you say, it will be too expensive and I can’t be bothered to faff around
And clearly the studios are saving some money by not printing and sticking the j-card on...but it's a worrying trend.
Yep. Cost cutting on j cards and steel finish. Money grabby greedy and lazy f**cks
Not sounding like a parrot, but at least we are still getting these releases and not having to 'rip' them or going the kaleidescape route, although with the recession on the way physical titles might dry up a bit.
Yep. Next year is gona be sh!t. And then the 4 years following it

happy days. :) well, in some respects. i was really so very much looking forward to receiving this and, in short, the steel is perfectly fine, but the collectors stuff is a mixed bag, with some real errors along the way. anyway, unboxathon below, or just jump here for the album. :Snap:

View media item 27975
first off, one thing that's worth underlining is the size of this. it's a little big larger than a FAC XL - but with less in it. but i'll get to that later. below with a standard Last Duel steel and Braveheart FAC XL:
View media item 27969
as many above have said, this is a freaking printed 4k banner, ratings stickers, and specifications slip. o_O we've not had many of these for years, and now they're coming again. great. what's wrong with a j-card? what's even more stupid is that the 'Collector's Edition' sticker is removeable. :facepalm: pics of this & outer slip under the spoiler:

ignoring the ratings non-stickers, i think the artwork is good :thumbs::
View media item 27968
the steelbook is nice, even if it's not gloss, and is matt with a hint of zero finish in places:
View media item 27967
the PET slip is good, i like the hands on the front and the ship on the rear, but with one gripe - namely, the very obvious glue fixing on the back. not sure why lots of other producers can manage a 'seamless' PET slip but these guys cannot. the steel itself has one nice reveal, in that when you raise the PET up, the eye pupil becomes 'the eyeless figure' on the steel. see under the spoiler for more:

the inside art is good, the discs have artwork, and the collector's cards, for those who like these, are fine, including one production shot:

things get less great with the additional pack. it's larger than the steelbook, housed in a fairly average thickness slip, but is very flimsy - it's esentially thin card/thick paper, and it's got huge amounts of empty space in it. like Titans of Cult amounts. it seems like the slip was made too large, or the additional pack was expected to be much more substantial. either way, it's a waste of space. that said, i like the artwork :), even if it's a bit unusual. i normally hate blueprints, but i like the poster - except they clearly didn't spellcheck it. :facepalm: the patch is actually very good, and the pin/badge perfectly OK:
View media item 27947
so, is the collector's edition version worth getting? unusually for me, i have to say no, it isn't. i'll be keeping mine, as i like it overall just enough, but there's some basic errors in this. but the steel and PET are good and worth a purchase.

and, of course, it is a great film. :thumbs:
1659647321207.png

Last edited:
happy days. :) well, in some respects. i was really so very much looking forward to receiving this and, in short, the steel is perfectly fine, but the collectors stuff is a mixed bag, with some real errors along the way. anyway, unboxathon below, or just jump here for the album. :Snap:

View media item 27975
first off, one thing that's worth underlining is the size of this. it's a little big larger than a FAC XL - but with less in it. but i'll get to that later. below with a standard Last Duel steel and Braveheart FAC XL:
View media item 27969
as many above have said, this is a freaking printed 4k banner, ratings stickers, and specifications slip. o_O we've not had many of these for years, and now they're coming again. great. what's wrong with a j-card? what's even more stupid is that the 'Collector's Edition' sticker is removeable. :facepalm: pics of this & outer slip under the spoiler:

ignoring the ratings non-stickers, i think the artwork is good :thumbs::
View media item 27968
the steelbook is nice, even if it's not gloss, and is matt with a hint of zero finish in places:
View media item 27967
the PET slip is good, i like the hands on the front and the ship on the rear, but with one gripe - namely, the very obvious glue fixing on the back. not sure why lots of other producers can manage a 'seamless' PET slip but these guys cannot. the steel itself has one nice reveal, in that when you raise the PET up, the eye pupil becomes 'the eyeless figure' on the steel. see under the spoiler for more:

the inside art is good, the discs have artwork, and the collector's cards, for those who like these, are fine, including one production shot:

things get less great with the additional pack. it's larger than the steelbook, housed in a fairly average thickness slip, but is very flimsy - it's esentially thin card/thick paper, and it's got huge amounts of empty space in it. like Titans of Cult amounts. it seems like the slip was made too large, or the additional pack was expected to be much more substantial. either way, it's a waste of space. that said, i like the artwork :), even if it's a bit unusual. i normally hate blueprints, but i like the poster - except they clearly didn't spellcheck it. :facepalm: the patch is actually very good, and the pin/badge perfectly OK:
View media item 27947
so, is the collector's edition version worth getting? unusually for me, i have to say no, it isn't. i'll be keeping mine, as i like it overall just enough, but there's some basic errors in this. but the steel and PET are good and worth a purchase.

and, of course, it is a great film. :thumbs:
View attachment 539139
Oh man don't get me started on that seam. The Sonic 2 PeT slip is really let down by the exact same thing. I don't know if the Mondo ones are like it and I have never noticed or what but it was my only real gripe with the sonic.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
What are the chances of this coming back in stock any time? Was waiting for today to pull the trigger on zavvi with a discount code but missed it lol.
Yeah it’s possible. All 3 retailers sold out for now which tells me more stock is on the way and didn’t arrive in time for release today

Reactions: Porradude
F### sake! That flimsy piece of crap thin cardboard sleeve that houses the pin got squished up against the steel and has left a nice little ding:angry:. Be careful with your copies folks

Alright, all the disappointed and angry up to the cursing level people need to chill.
It's a WWA studio release, not a 'premium', and it's not $70+.
It's OK.
I do wish there was a booklet, like in Arrow releases.

Alright, all the disappointed and angry up to the cursing level people need to chill.
It's a WWA studio release, not a 'premium', and it's not $70+.
It's OK.
I do wish there was a booklet, like in Arrow releases.
Would have definitely been better with a booklet.

Will be putting my glossy USA steel inside the slip, but keep the UK discs as the the US discs don't have artwork for some reason.

I'm tempted to remove the folder and put my Shout Factory edition inside the slip (including the o-ring slip). I imagine most of the extras would fit inside the steelbook. I could just put the blueprint inside the slip without the folder. I have to wait until my Zavvi edition arrives to see if it works well.

If you look closely at the mock-up, it appears that the storage pocket was supposed to be a nicer folder that opens with a shiny plastic coating, but they went with a flimsy cardbord folder that doesn't open and is too big.

I can’t understand how this has sold out personally. It’s a very cliche film that tries to rip off much superior films. I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking thank god that’s over. just skimmed through it again on netflix to make sure I wasn’t being harsh but no it’s definitely a poor film in my opinion. The cast tried their best with a poor script but trying to cross 2010, alien and hellraiser was never going to work. first half of the film has nearly every scene starting with a floating object that flys into the camera and looks really fake. When this was announced I thought it would never sell out. You never can predict like the total recall steelbook that is amazing and never sold out. Love the main cast but on this occasion the ratings are right I think. Maybe it’s the pet slip design that’s on trend.

I can’t understand how this has sold out personally. It’s a very cliche film that tries to rip off much superior films. I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking thank god that’s over. just skimmed through it again on netflix to make sure I wasn’t being harsh but no it’s definitely a poor film in my opinion. The cast tried their best with a poor script but trying to cross 2010, alien and hellraiser was never going to work. first half of the film has nearly every scene starting with a floating object that flys into the camera and looks really fake. When this was announced I thought it would never sell out. You never can predict like the total recall steelbook that is amazing and never sold out. Love the main cast but on this occasion the ratings are right I think. Maybe it’s the pet slip design that’s on trend.
jeff bridges opinion GIF

It's a shared print run between Zavvi, Amazon and HMV. Which means none of these retailers received as many copies as they would have had it been an exclusive to them. So Zavvi and HMV have sold out but it's still available from Amazon.

Understand now?

Not a masterpiece, but far better than anything that mr. I-can-make-various-semi-funny-faces has made. (shrugs)

So Zavvi and HMV have sold out but it's still available from Amazon.
It's sold out there too now. :D

One of the best space horror movies, and would be the last of its kind, were it not for Pandorum.

In a better dimension people have long gotten an extended cut and watching a 5th sequel by now.

It's sold out there too now. :D

One of the best space horror movies, and would be the last of its kind, were it not for Pandorum.

In a better dimension people have long gotten an extended cut and watching a 5th sequel by now.
Forgot about pandorum. Excellent film

Also I’ve noticed a few say the card pouch is too big and they messed up. It’s not, it’s so the pin and fit in with the clasp end. So although you can fit the blueprint and patch in with loads of room, that extra room is for the depth of the pin

Reactions: Lenny Nero