Evil Dead 2 (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: November 5, 2018 (original) - December 12, 2022 (reprint)
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99 (original) - £26.99 (reprint)

11827041-1224597016519721.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh, the BMV Medien cut! I remember the wooden box. That one’s unofficial, and some of the inserts are from behind the scenes material (different format and different grading). They stick out like sore thumb:

Evil Dead 2 Extended Scene

:dunno:
I'll try to speak a bit slower. I never said it's not SC, but the extended cut is BMV Medien exclusive edit. BMV Medien teamed up with StudioCanal to release the film in Germany. So in your post #112:

...it was strange to me that you'd expect this obscure cut on the British disc.

Uncut and extended are not the same thing. Uncut (unedited) is pretty much the version we all know by now, while extended it the one with 2+ minutes of behind-the-scenes lo-res footage subsequently crammed into the film. Just look at the scene I linked up there; it looks like the added material was shot on video camera.

I remember that scene from bonuses on one of my editions. Quite not understand why is it added to the movie like this, it looks very weird and funny, it´s just interesting bonus material to me, that´s all. I think it´s just a gimmick and excuse to sign it as "extended"

it looks very weird and funny, it´s just interesting bonus material to me, that´s all. I think it´s just a gimmick and excuse to sign it as "extended"

That's precisely what it is, pretty much a bootleg version. I remember when they released it in 2013, and I was all over it, hoping for extra minutes of gore. However, one of the amazon.de customers-reviewers (can't find it now to save my life) explained that those extra shots are nothing but behind-the-scenes footage taken on the set. :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
Tried to play the Blu-ray feature disc as well as the special features disc and they would not play on my Oppo BD-93. I could not figure out why so I popped the feature disc in my computer and what do you know, it's region "B" locked. How strange since the J-Card and both Blu-ray discs says "ABC" on them. Switched my Oppo to region "B" and they play just fine, so be aware for those of you getting this expecting it to play in your region "A" players that it will not.

Tried to play the Blu-ray feature disc as well as the special features disc and they would not play on my Oppo BD-93. I could not figure out why so I popped the feature disc in my computer and what do you know, it's region "B" locked. How strange since the J-Card and both Blu-ray discs says "ABC" on them. Switched my Oppo to region "B" and they play just fine, so be aware for those of you getting this expecting it to play in your region "A" players that it will not.

Well that's not good. I have a region A player. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

Did anybody from Canada or the U.S. order a copy of this? I'm still waiting for my copy from Zavvi.
I'm just wondering if anybody in North America has tried to play the 2 blu-ray discs on a region "A" player and also found them to be region "B" locked.

Thank you.

Did anybody from Canada or the U.S. order a copy of this? I'm still waiting for my copy from Zavvi.
I'm just wondering if anybody in North America has tried to play the 2 blu-ray discs on a region "A" player and also found them to be region "B" locked.

Thank you.

Yup can confirm it’s region B locked.

Reactions: Stygian

Thank you.
It took a while to get mine. It dispatched on 10/31 and I didn't receive it until 11/21. so yeah it took longer than usual for my delivery.

Yup can confirm it’s region B locked.

I guess I'll have to send mine back. I hope Zavvi doesn't give me a hard time about it. Their listing said region free. I realize that could be a reference to the 4K disc but I understand that the blu-ray discs have the region free logos on them.

You read my mind! I was going to ask you if you could take a photo of the discs lol.

I had my suspicions about this release at the beginning because this is from Studiocanal. I have always passed on Studicanal releases because they have always been region "B" locked. I don't know how this one got messed up.

Thank you again.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
You read my mind! I was going to ask you if you could take a photo of the discs lol.

I had my suspicions about this release at the beginning because this is from Studiocanal. I have always passed on Studicanal releases because they have always been region "B" locked. I don't know how this one got messed up.

Thank you again.
Yeah, I was the same way, a little surprised that they said Region ABC on a EU StudioCanal release. Somebody f.ucked up that's for sure. I'm surprised they didn't do a recall of it before it went up for sale. Poor QR if you ask me. I mean how can you not see that?

• Thanks
Yeah, I was the same way, a little surprised that they said Region ABC on a EU StudioCanal release. Somebody f.ucked up that's for sure. I'm surprised they didn't do a recall of it before it went up for sale. Poor QR if you ask me. I mean how can you not see that?
Majority of StudioCanal Blu-ray discs are Region B locked so it was a mistake on disc labeling and packaging.

It might of happened due to 4K UHD disc been region free that caused someone at StudioCanal to make the mistake with the Blu-ray discs or they was planning on doing region free and this was not done when the Blu-ray discs was been encoded or they changed their mind and did not correct the discs labels or packaging info.

They did not make the same mistake with the recent 4K UHD releases of the Fog/They Live/Escape from New York/Prince of Darkness
The Blu-ray Discs are Region B locked and labeled as Region B

If you want to contact StudioCanal
STUDIOCANAL Limited
4 Pancras Square
London
N1C 4AG

Tel: 020 7534 2700

email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Majority of StudioCanal Blu-ray discs are Region B locked so it was a mistake on disc labeling and packaging.

It might of happened due to 4K UHD disc been region free that caused someone at StudioCanal to make the mistake with the Blu-ray discs or they was planning on doing region free and this was not done when the Blu-ray discs was been encoded or they changed their mind and did not correct the discs labels or packaging info.

They did not make the same mistake with the recent 4K UHD releases of the Fog/They Live/Escape from New York/Prince of Darkness
The Blu-ray Discs are Region B locked and labeled as Region B

If you want to contact StudioCanal
STUDIOCANAL Limited
4 Pancras Square
London
N1C 4AG

Tel: 020 7534 2700

email: [email protected]
Their Fog 4K disc transfer was messed up in certain parts though. Did anyone ever get in contact with them about that or get any info on it?

Their Fog 4K disc transfer was messed up in certain parts though. Did anyone ever get in contact with them about that or get any info on it?
This was posted on BD forum in regards to the Fog by tweety72 and some others said they got same reply
Supposedly a reply from StudioCanal as to if it was a 100% official reply I don't know for sure if it's reliable :rofl:

tweety72
I received an e-mail today from Studio Canal about the "flickering" and the drop outs in various scenes. Picture quality is awful...they must be blind!

Thanks for your email.

We wanted to let you know that we have now completed a thorough investigation into the issue you have addressed. Five quality assurance testers at Testronics have carried out a fast track investigation for us, using a test matrix of UHD players, with a combined UK market share of more than 97%. They tested the disc at multiple stages within the disc production workflow and exceeded standard studio testing approaches. Testing included SDR, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision passes. The playback quality was concluded to be of an acceptable level and consistent with similar projects. Overall, they were unable to recreate the playback issues despite testing on over 60 player and screen combinations. All indications are that the issues are likely to be caused by incorrect setup or anomalous device compatibility issues.

Therefore, to help us conclude why you have been experiencing problems, would you please be able to provide more information on what setup you are using?

This was posted on BD forum in regards to the Fog by tweety72 and some others said they got same reply
Supposedly a reply from StudioCanal as to if it was a 100% official reply I don't know for sure if it's reliable :rofl:

tweety72
I received an e-mail today from Studio Canal about the "flickering" and the drop outs in various scenes. Picture quality is awful...they must be blind!

Thanks for your email.

We wanted to let you know that we have now completed a thorough investigation into the issue you have addressed. Five quality assurance testers at Testronics have carried out a fast track investigation for us, using a test matrix of UHD players, with a combined UK market share of more than 97%. They tested the disc at multiple stages within the disc production workflow and exceeded standard studio testing approaches. Testing included SDR, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision passes. The playback quality was concluded to be of an acceptable level and consistent with similar projects. Overall, they were unable to recreate the playback issues despite testing on over 60 player and screen combinations. All indications are that the issues are likely to be caused by incorrect setup or anomalous device compatibility issues.

Therefore, to help us conclude why you have been experiencing problems, would you please be able to provide more information on what setup you are using?

Well then hopefully people have sent a follow-up email listing the equipment they are using.

I watched the Studio Canal blu ray of The Fog on Sunday and the score sounds pitched higher than the Shout Factory release. Mentioned this on the Blu-Ray forums to not much fanfair but there's a definite difference there.

• Informative
Reactions: BluSteel2012