Final Fantasy XIII and Versus Megathread

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Final Fantasy XIII is an upcoming console role-playing game being developed by Square Enix. It will be released exclusive for PlayStation 3 in Japan, then for PlayStation 3 worldwide in Europe and North America. First appearing at the 2006 E3, the game features a futuristic, high-tech world.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="311" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/954fc8ba" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/954fc8ba" width="437" height="311" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

Final Fantasy XIII is the flagship title of the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII collection. The game shares a common mythology with Final Fantasy Agito XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but they are not directly related to each other. Motomu Toriyama, a director and scenario writer of previous Final Fantasy titles, will direct and write the game's story.

The concept for Final Fantasy XIII's battle system is to maintain the strategic nature of command-based battles. The system stemmed from a desire to create battles similar to those found in Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Like those in Final Fantasy XII, battle sequences are integrated into the world environment. The Active Time Battle (ATB) system will return, but is expected to work differently from its predecessors.

tgs-final-fantasy-xiii-31.jpg

The battle system that was shown during the E3 2006 trailer was only a prototype. Recently, Square Enix showed battle footage in various Japanese magazines and trailers which introduced a new interface. You can only control one character at a time in battle, although battle parties of up to three characters have been shown. You can stack up to three commands per turn and release them all at the same time to form a combo. These commands include series staples such as Attack, Fire, Blizzard and Cure, as well as new ones such as Launch, which sends the enemy up in the air. The game does not make use of MP but introduces "cost points" for each command. Cost points determine how many times the commands can be used per turn. The overclock gauge from the prototype battle system is replaced with a break bar. The minimap shown earlier has also disappeared from the battle interface. The player is able to view the HP and name of the enemy before engaging it in battle. When the player engages an enemy, the camera moves to another position and the battle menu appears, making the battle transitions nearly seamless.

The classic summoned creatures will return in Final Fantasy XIII. Carbuncle emerges from a disc-like object when it is touched by the character Vanille, Ifrit and Siren also appear doing performances in a trailer. Shiva will return and takes the form of a pair of sisters who can merge into a motorcycle, which the character Snow rides, and can use ice to create a path to drive on.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6At_bb1PNU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6At_bb1PNU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>​
________
HD ENGINE

Last edited:
Reactions: Beard Esquire
I am still lost on what those paradigms are for or how to use them

Ravagers build TP fast so you can stagger enemies, then switch to Commandos for damage when the enemy is staggered. It helps to create multipe Paradigms so you can switch from one attack to another to minize waiting time of the ATB bar.

I am still lost on what those paradigms are for or how to use them

some paradigms are needed in order to beat some of the different enemies. for example, switching between doing all out attackers and having a medic is extremely helpful when its an enemy with a lot of HP, it saves your potions big time.

once i had to use two medics and one commando, but once i regained my health i switched to all out attacks.

if i can get an enemy to stagger with only two attackers and one medic, ill then switch to all 3 attacking to rack up the damage.

stuff like that is what is going to make this game a lot of fun. switching up strategies...

Versus XIII to have world map & airship, says Nomura

Tetsuya Nomura, director of the upcoming Final Fantasy Versus XIII, has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 exclusive outing will feature a world map and airships.

“Not everything is connected together, so the various areas have different levels of progress. However, you can fly across the world map in an air ship,” said Nomura, during a Twitter interview with Square’s Shinji Yoshimoto.

Unfortunately, Nomura was unable to divulge any further details on the project, stating, “I’m being stopped by producer Hashimoto,” he said.

Fingers crossed the game shows up at E3, though don’t be surprised if it doesn’t put in an appearance on account of recent changes made during development.

FFXIII tops one million sales in U.S.

Square Enix has revealed that Final Fantasy XIII has sold a whopping one million units in North America since its release earlier this month. Not too shabby.

No details were revealed in terms of overall sales figures for each platform, though we can expect to find out soon enough when NPD figures for March are unveiled.

Last week it was announced the game has become the fastest selling title in the UK this year.

Free DLC for SE Members

Square Enix has today revealed the first downloadable content (DLC) package for the phenomenally successful Final Fantasy XIII. While a debate has been raging since the game’s Japanese launch last year as to whether Square Enix would capitalise on the opportunity to add new content to what is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated games on the current-generation of games consoles, that question has today been answered.

Prior to the North American and European launch of Final Fantasy XIII, Square Enix opened registration for the all-new Square Enix Members community for European gamers. Few details were available as to exactly what benefits becoming part of Square Enix Members would bestow upon those who registered, with suggestions placing the game registration option as aElectronic Theatre Image possible equivalent to Nintendo’s infamous Stars Club. However, today it has been revealed that Square Enix has far greater intentions for the service.

Those who have become a part of the Square Enix Members community and have registered their purchase of Final Fantasy XIII on the site will today be receiving an e-mail with details of their exclusive bonuses. The additional content for PlayStation 3 gamers is not yet known, but those who registered the Xbox 360 version will receive two new Avatar items; a PSICOM Huntress Uniform and a PSICOM Raider Uniform, both of which are currently available exclusively to registered gamers.

While many may be disappointed that the DLC does not enhance the game in any way, the fact that Square Enix are taking the initiative in such a way holds promise for future updates. The Square Enix Members content follows an Xbox 360 promotion from last year entitling those who had participated the chance to download a Chocobo Avatar item, further proving Square Enix’s commitment to continually promoting Final Fantasy XIII in the online social gaming space. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest DLC for and related to Final Fantasy XIII.

electronictheatre.co.uk/index.php/industry-news/4400-free-final-fantasy-xiii-dlc-arrives

heh,have this game still sealed while i try beat god of war 3,bought it cause i need my RPG fix,not many RPG's on ps3 so i said what the hell,,i'm gonna buy it...i need more PS3 eye candy!..

Final Fantasy XIII sells 1.3 million in March; PS3 sales double 360 version

Final Fantasy XIII’s first month sales figures in North America are in, and they are quite good. Releasing simultaneously on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Square Enix’s RPG pushed some 1.3 million copies between both consoles.

It should come as little surprise that the PS3 version was the breadwinner, selling 828,200 units. But when combined with the 494,300 copies sold for Xbox 360, the series certainly saw a shot in the arm. The game was originally thought to be a PS3 exclusive, but since the game launched on both consoles, it went on to sell more than the last title in the series – Final Fantasy XII, which sold 896,000 units in its opening month back in November 2006.

You may recall that it was revealed at E3 2008 that the game was also heading to Xbox 360. At that time, the industry was in a much different position, especially Sony. Since then, we’ve seen the launch of the PS3 Slim, and much higher sales figures. Final Fantasy XIII sales figures are certainly impressive.

FFXIII isn't an RPG, says BioWare

There’s nothing quite like the scent of controversy in the morning, eh? In this case, it arrives courtesy of Daniel Erickson, writing director on Star Wars: The Old Republic, who has revealed that he doesn’t classify Final Fantasy XIII an RPG.

Speaking to the chaps at Strategy Informer, Erickson commented, “I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG,” adding, "You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPGs."

Funny that a company that has been in the game less time is criticizing a company that has done it since almost the beginning of gaming!

I kind of agree with him... but it's still a fun game. I hear vs is supposed to bring back the ship and be more free roaming... so hopefully it feels more like an RPG.

well i played this & the start is slow as ever as everybody was saying....

it doe's kinda suck at the moment since when i use to pick up RPG games it would allow you to roam all over the place...Take Zelda for example,a ton to look around to...right now this is just a one way trail..I do enjoy the movie scene's thought,their awesome...

I'll be playing this over the summer. I might actually enjoy the linearity of the game. I now won't be wasting time all over the damn place, and might be able to blow through the game quicker to get onto the rest of my backlog. Otherwise it just sounds lame for anyone wanting a true RPG.

Game informer publishing versus going multiplat???

In the most recent edition of Game Informer Australia, the monthly segment entitled 'Bite Size', has small pieces of news placed around the border. Seen below is a page from the magazine with some interesting pieces of information about a certain anticipated title.

SDC10754.jpg

Very odd to see such a thing in a huge print magazine like game informer. So is it confirmation of the coming megaton…….or is it just a printing error?

Update:

A more in depth description of the ‘Bite Size’ section. It is all about news that is filling in the gap between the 2 issues. As it is issue #7, the bite size section is and I quote from the Game Informer magazine “A Quick Look At The Month In The News”. This is not a rumour section but a news section. Which begs the question, what is Game Informer doing with the “News” section, maybe mixing in some rumours?

Last edited by a moderator: