Finally getting an OLED

Nov 25, 2020
Finally getting an oled on Tuesday and I have been pondering for the last few days what to watch on it first.

So guys, I am upgrading from a several year old decent ish although bottom end Sony Bravia to an LG C3.

What should I watch first that will blow me away? Pacific Rim or Lucy are currently my top choices.

can't go wrong with either
-Benny and Joon
or
-Throw Momma From the Train

they both looked great last time i watched them on vhs

but i only have QLED so what do i know(?); guess it's time for the hot tub and the cold razor

So what do other HDN members have for their 4K TVs and are you happy with the picture quality? How long have you had them? Have you already had to replace them due to breaking down after a certain number of years?

Is there already a place on HDN where I can read the comments from others?

Here's my situation. Anybody have any recommendations?

My sitting distance away from the TV is limited. I'm currently still using my Panasonic Viera 43" 1080p plasma TV from 2007 which is still perfect except that it gives off way too much heat. I paid $1400 Canadian for it new at the time. So I was looking at getting something new due to the fact that 4K TVs seemed to be rather inexpensive these days.

I've tested a few 4K TV's over the past year, all LED TVs. 3 different Samsung models and a couple of Sony models ranging in price from $450 to $750 during various sales events including the X85K 43" which I'm trying now but will be returning soon. I don't have a 4K disc player so the only 4K content that I have been viewing is through streaming from Amazon Prime and now recently Disney+ (Mandalorian and now Andor). I have Netflix but still Standard not 4K.

Still not really impressed by this whole 4K TV thing with the backlighting leaving not-so dark corners and I realize now that OLED will be the way to go.

So I'm looking at the Sony BRAVIA XR A90K 42" 4K UHD HDR OLED Smart Google TV (XR42A90K) - 2022 currently priced at $1,749.99 but it will probably be about $200 less in November during Black Friday sales.

I need a 42" TV and a lot of other OLED brands and models don't come in a 42" size, usually only 55" and up.

My concern now though is that this is double the price that had me first interested in "upgrading" to a 4K TV and I'm hearing that these LED, OLED, QLED and other variants are only expected to last between 5 and 7 years before they break down! EEK!

So now I'm thinking $1500 to $1600 (more with taxes of course) is too much to pay for something that may not last to the end of the decade.

I upgraded to the G2 a year and a half ago and the black levels of the OLED display changed my enjoyment of almost every well mastered movie, 4K or standard Blu-ray. Here is my list of movies most impressive on OLED not in any particular order -

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1
MI: Fallout
MI: Rogue Nation
Top Gun: Maverick
Act of Valor
13 Hours
Moana
John Wick 1-4
Moulin Rouge
No Time to Die
Tron: Legacy
Extraction
Bad Boys for Life
Gemini Man
Passengers
Logan

just to name a few

Reactions: Stygian
So what do other HDN members have for their 4K TVs and are you happy with the picture quality? How long have you had them? Have you already had to replace them due to breaking down after a certain number of years?

Is there already a place on HDN where I can read the comments from others?

Here's my situation. Anybody have any recommendations?

My sitting distance away from the TV is limited. I'm currently still using my Panasonic Viera 43" 1080p plasma TV from 2007 which is still perfect except that it gives off way too much heat. I paid $1400 Canadian for it new at the time. So I was looking at getting something new due to the fact that 4K TVs seemed to be rather inexpensive these days.

I've tested a few 4K TV's over the past year, all LED TVs. 3 different Samsung models and a couple of Sony models ranging in price from $450 to $750 during various sales events including the X85K 43" which I'm trying now but will be returning soon. I don't have a 4K disc player so the only 4K content that I have been viewing is through streaming from Amazon Prime and now recently Disney+ (Mandalorian and now Andor). I have Netflix but still Standard not 4K.

Still not really impressed by this whole 4K TV thing with the backlighting leaving not-so dark corners and I realize now that OLED will be the way to go.

So I'm looking at the Sony BRAVIA XR A90K 42" 4K UHD HDR OLED Smart Google TV (XR42A90K) - 2022 currently priced at $1,749.99 but it will probably be about $200 less in November during Black Friday sales.

I need a 42" TV and a lot of other OLED brands and models don't come in a 42" size, usually only 55" and up.

My concern now though is that this is double the price that had me first interested in "upgrading" to a 4K TV and I'm hearing that these LED, OLED, QLED and other variants are only expected to last between 5 and 7 years before they break down! EEK!

So now I'm thinking $1500 to $1600 (more with taxes of course) is too much to pay for something that may not last to the end of the decade.
I mean 7 years for a tv is a decent life span
That being said my daughter is still using the 2nd flat screen I ever got from the mid 2000s. My current bedroom tv that replaced that was my living room tv until recently and my current 4k living room tv will soon be my bedroom one.

As for what to get now? I mean I put a good many hours looking into what to get and the LG C3 seems to tick a lot of boxes, especial as I ended up getting a £2100 tv for £1700. I hear the C2 is still really good though. But honestly any mid range OLED north of 1500 will probably be a great buy. Especially going from a 15 year old plasma.

Reactions: Stygian
I upgraded to the G2 a year and a half ago and the black levels of the OLED display changed my enjoyment of almost every well mastered movie, 4K or standard Blu-ray. Here is my list of movies most impressive on OLED not in any particular order -

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1
MI: Fallout
MI: Rogue Nation
Top Gun: Maverick
Act of Valor
13 Hours
Moana
John Wick 1-4
Moulin Rouge
No Time to Die
Tron: Legacy
Extraction
Bad Boys for Life
Gemini Man
Passengers
Logan

just to name a few
A lot of those are certainly on my watch list. Although Pacific Rim will likely be my first now. It's arriving on Tuesday and I can't eait lol.

Hey ladies,

so, Im planning to buy new 4K TV. Im pretty decided on Panasonic, but not sure If OLED or QLED? And what features it needs to have? What would you recommend guys?