Floyd Mayweather returning to boxing

Mar 12, 2009
According to a report out by Thomas Hauser of MaxBoxing, it looks like Floyd Mayweather Jr. will indeed return to the ring on July 11th. The fight will be on HBO against an opponent yet to be named.

Further reported by MaxBoxing, Al Haymon (Mayweather’s adviser) has been talking with HBO in regards to a possible fight between Floyd and the winner of the May 2nd's fight between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton.

Before Mayweather Jr. fights the winner of Pacquiao vs Hatton he wants a tune-up bout to help sharpen his skills.

Sources tell MaxBoxing that Haymon wants Mayweather Jr's return bout to be on HBO World Championship Boxing and not pay-per-view. As of yet, July 11th is only the date being kicked around for Mayweather Jr's return. It is official though, Team Mayweather is in negotiations for a return.

my copy and paste...check more info in the second post of Floyd 'n daddy talkin how they whipp Manny Pacquiao....i'd like to see that fight!!!

Attachments

• boxing-gloves-400x400.jpg
    boxing-gloves-400x400.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:
Ricky Hatton and his trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. had a conference call with the media today to talk about Ricky's May 2nd fight against Manny Pacquiao.

According to Floyd Sr., there is no doubt that Hatton will win and that, yes, he is a better trainer than Freddie Roach.

"We are gonna whup his a--, simple as that," said Mayweather Sr. "We are gonna bust his a-- up!"

Hatton was a little more subtle. He said that he felt he would win because he is going to be the biggest and strongest fighter that Pacquiao has ever faced. He estimated that he would come into the ring at about 154 pounds, which is two weight classes higher than the junior welterweight limit of 140.

Floyd also had harsh words for Manny's trainer, Freddie Roach:

"They have him in the hall of fame, he should be in the hall of shame... he is a joke."

When Floyd was asked about his son, Floyd Mayweather Jr., he said: "We are pretty much still at odds, it's not a big deal." He also says he has no real "gripe with his son." and then, "He did the right thing by his son and if he doesn't want to be a son, oh well."

He also says Floyd Jr. will fight again, "no question about it," and added that he's trying to find a fight right now.

Floyd said that he was surprised Pacquiao beat Oscar De La Hoya. "He beat a dehydrated Oscar." And added that if he would have run Oscar's camp, the outcome would have been different. "The best man got whupped that night."

i can tell you I'm Boxing fan and im going with Floyd mayweather all the way,manny's a quick fighter but i'd still go with floyd!!..

I don't agree with him saying Oscar got beat cause he was dehydrated. Oscar has pretty much run his course. Just one last big payout before retirement. He was a great fighter in his prime.

I don't agree with him saying Oscar got beat cause he was dehydrated. Oscar has pretty much run his course. Just one last big payout before retirement. He was a great fighter in his prime.

yeah that's what i was thinking also in the Oscar vs Pacquiao fight....one of the worst fights from oscar...time for him to call it quits.

I think he said he was contemplating retirement after that match. By boxing standards, he is close to the old/retirement age. I wouldn't be surprised though if he did one more match. He made about 3x as much compared to manny for the fight. He should focus his time on his promotion company now though.

Oscar was a joke, hated the guy, Floyd should just stay retired seriously he went out like a champ so he shouldn't bother. Pacman is younger and faster all they ever give him is 30+ yr olds to fight with I am not so sure that's a good match.

Oscar was a joke, hated the guy, Floyd should just stay retired seriously he went out like a champ so he shouldn't bother. Pacman is younger and faster all they ever give him is 30+ yr olds to fight with I am not so sure that's a good match.

I'd still want to see pacman and floyd mash it out in the ring together