May 15, 2013
GA
Release date: November 3rd, 2015
Purchase link:
Season 1
Season 2
Price: $79.95 $49.96 each season

Game-of-Thrones-Blu-Steel-Box.png

New York, N.Y., July 1, 2015 - The smash hit HBO series Game of Thrones has sat atop the Iron Throne of the home entertainment charts as the best-selling TV on Blu-ray/DVD title in each of the last four years. The box sets are popular among fans for their extensive bonus content that takes diehard viewers even further into the world of Westeros. Now a new Steelbook collectors release is bringing a whole new dimension to the series with the addition of a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and brand new box art designed by the team that created the series' Emmy® Award-winning title sequence. Seasons 1 and 2 will be available in the new Steelbook format for $79.98 each on November 3, 2015, just in time for holiday gifting season. Seasons 3 and 4 will release on the heels of the first two seasons, with release date details coming soon.

The Steelbook sets feature brand new box art designed by Elastic, the agency responsible for the series' Emmy® Award-winning opening credits. Each Steelbook showcases a specific location that is significant to that season and includes usable magnets on packaging featuring Game of Thrones sigils and symbols:

o Season 1 packaging features Winterfell, where fans are introduced to the Stark family in the series premiere. The magnet for Season 1 is the direwolf sigil of House Stark.

o In Season 2, the Lannisters' influence is keenly felt from the Iron Throne and their sigil is included on packaging set in King's Landing, where the season's pivotal Battle of the Blackwater occurs.

o Season 3 features the magnet sigil of House Frey and their ancestral seat of the Twins-the location of this season's infamous Red Wedding.

o Season 4 features the icy landscape of Castle Black and the Wall, where the brothers of the Night's Watch fend off an army of wildlings from the far north. The magnet for this season features a crow and Jon Snow's sword, Longclaw.

In addition to all of the bonus content from the previous Blu-ray sets, the Game of Thrones Steelbook is the first TV on Blu-ray title to be released with the revolutionary new audio technology Dolby Atmos. The Blu-ray features a newly remixed Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which places and moves sounds and music anywhere in the room, including overhead, creating a captivating experience that brings entertainment alive all around the audience. With the new Steelbook set, fans can hear Daenerys's dragons swoop past them and feel the soaring score rise and fall around them. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receivers and additional speakers are required; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment and will automatically play in the best possible way.

Official press release

Last edited:
I haven't got around to purchasing them yet so I'm seriously considering getting these.... Had I purchased them already, no way would I be entertaining them.
It's ironic a show shot on my own doorstep and I haven't seen it yet.

Must admit I'm bothered like many others that this "Set" may not complete and the spine image of them all together can't be defined unless they're aware of how many seasons there'll be.

So these are that much more expensive than the ones on Amazon.co.uk because of the Dolby Atmos?

Also: this bigger picture runk0002 copied shows that the four spines are of each individual Steel ("the complete first season", "the complete second...", etc)

635712796891248072-GOT-S1-4-SPREAD-06.jpeg

So these are that much more expensive than the ones on Amazon.co.uk because of the Dolby Atmos?

Also: this bigger picture runk0002 copied shows that the four spines are of each individual Steel ("the complete first season", "the complete second...", etc)
the U.K. releases have Dolby Atmos as well. USA releases will be at least 40% off on release week...but still quite a bit more expensive than the U.K. Needless to say i ordered the U.K. versions.
635712796891248072-GOT-S1-4-SPREAD-06.jpeg

also just noticed the release date is nov 3rd this year and the uk same version is out in oct 26th and also cheaper and quicker.
unless american amazon drops there price a hell of alot people just going to get from uk amazon.
to make the same price as uk one current exchange rate with gbp means will need to be $35 to be the same price.
if anyone has any sense pre-order from uk amazon and cancel later in case price goes up, as a thought!

basil :thumbs:

There have been a few times in recent years when the UK pressings have been way cheaper than the USA ones. The James Bond box set comes to mind and the Star Trek and Next Gen complete box sets.....

If anyone gets a damaged one and wants to get rid of the plastic shell, you know where to find me :D

I want to convert some jumbos (looking at you The Walking Dead)

Reactions: luke98
I can't wait for them to list seasons 3 & 4 in the U.S. I waited for these it will be really nice if they put season 5 out like this too when it's released. I've only seen the first 2 seasons so far, but I'm addicted for sure.

i was thinking the same, because the season 5 will be out around the same time, do you guys think they will have season 5 regular and steelbook releases at the same time?

Got my ship notice for Season 1 today. The price dropped to $39.96. I'm happy with that. A little confused about why they still haven't put Seasons 3 and 4 up yet. And what about Season 5? Are they going to release that in a Steelbook or not? They'd better!

Reactions: dfoles