May 15, 2013
GA
Release date: November 3rd, 2015
Purchase link:
Season 1
Season 2
Price: $79.95 $49.96 each season

Game-of-Thrones-Blu-Steel-Box.png

New York, N.Y., July 1, 2015 - The smash hit HBO series Game of Thrones has sat atop the Iron Throne of the home entertainment charts as the best-selling TV on Blu-ray/DVD title in each of the last four years. The box sets are popular among fans for their extensive bonus content that takes diehard viewers even further into the world of Westeros. Now a new Steelbook collectors release is bringing a whole new dimension to the series with the addition of a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and brand new box art designed by the team that created the series' Emmy® Award-winning title sequence. Seasons 1 and 2 will be available in the new Steelbook format for $79.98 each on November 3, 2015, just in time for holiday gifting season. Seasons 3 and 4 will release on the heels of the first two seasons, with release date details coming soon.

The Steelbook sets feature brand new box art designed by Elastic, the agency responsible for the series' Emmy® Award-winning opening credits. Each Steelbook showcases a specific location that is significant to that season and includes usable magnets on packaging featuring Game of Thrones sigils and symbols:

o Season 1 packaging features Winterfell, where fans are introduced to the Stark family in the series premiere. The magnet for Season 1 is the direwolf sigil of House Stark.

o In Season 2, the Lannisters' influence is keenly felt from the Iron Throne and their sigil is included on packaging set in King's Landing, where the season's pivotal Battle of the Blackwater occurs.

o Season 3 features the magnet sigil of House Frey and their ancestral seat of the Twins-the location of this season's infamous Red Wedding.

o Season 4 features the icy landscape of Castle Black and the Wall, where the brothers of the Night's Watch fend off an army of wildlings from the far north. The magnet for this season features a crow and Jon Snow's sword, Longclaw.

In addition to all of the bonus content from the previous Blu-ray sets, the Game of Thrones Steelbook is the first TV on Blu-ray title to be released with the revolutionary new audio technology Dolby Atmos. The Blu-ray features a newly remixed Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which places and moves sounds and music anywhere in the room, including overhead, creating a captivating experience that brings entertainment alive all around the audience. With the new Steelbook set, fans can hear Daenerys's dragons swoop past them and feel the soaring score rise and fall around them. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receivers and additional speakers are required; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment and will automatically play in the best possible way.

Official press release

Last edited:
still there's no actual pics?

Saw Season 1 & 2 in store @ Target, they look great. My wife was surprised that they are steelbooks given the slip presentation, but hard to say what the finish was as the slip covered up things quite well.

Someone will have to get a copy and open it to really show everyone what they look like

Reactions: goufcustom
Just received and opened Season 1.

Same matte finish as UK version. Also, like others mentioned in the UK thread, my magnet won't hold in place when the steelbook is placed vertically.

With a touch more love and QC, this would have been truly amazeballs. Oh well...

Edit: Added my pics (sorry, not the best quality):

20151103_212339.jpg

Additional pics here:
20151103_213023.jpg

20151103_212514.jpg

20151103_212527.jpg

20151103_212552.jpg

20151103_212621.jpg

20151103_212755.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the latest episode of The Steelbook Dillemma

Here we are again, with numerous complains about Steelbook is $40, I will stick with the Bestbuy slipcase, Its too expensive for a single season steelbook, art is garbage, its not jumbo, etc.. etc...

Can we just have acceptance -
1. That TV season Steelbooks will normally be around $40 and above.
2. Its game of thrones the highest rated premium cable show in the world
3. Its limited
4. It got a cool plastic slipbox and with a magnet
5. Its a STEELBOOK!

Here we are again, with numerous complains about Steelbook is $40, I will stick with the Bestbuy slipcase, Its too expensive for a single season steelbook, art is garbage, its not jumbo, etc.. etc...

3. Its limited
5. Its a STEELBOOK!

I'd pay $40 thats not the problem the problem is I am not made out of money and can't just go throw $160 at steelbooks one week then be expect to throw another $100 the very next week (6 star wars movies and terminator genysis) plus the two black sails seasons as well. I chose the star wars steelbooks.

Reactions: DJ IXS
This is the sad part of reality - its the holiday season I agree with you sirdizzy

Too much releases with extravagant and holy grail traits all come out together

I'd pay $40 thats not the problem the problem is I am not made out of money and can't just go throw $160 at steelbooks one week then be expect to throw another $100 the very next week (6 star wars movies and terminator genysis) plus the two black sails seasons as well. I chose the star wars steelbooks.

Reactions: Flash
This is the sad part of reality - its the holiday season I agree with you sirdizzy

Too much releases with extravagant and holy grail traits all come out together

Yea I will add it to my wishlist and hopefully eventually I'll see it later on and I can grab em. Problem is my wishlist never seems to get smaller as waves kill me (I missed 2 of the recent Bonds that got released plus haven't seen any of the second pop art wave) I wish they would leave them on the shelves longer give me more of a chance during lulls to grab a couple but they never do.

Its now $45 a rough $5 up in price across retail channels

3. Its limited
5. Its a STEELBOOK!

• Informative
Reactions: C.C. 95 and dfoles
Just snagged open copies of seasons 1 and 2 off eBay for less than $20 each. Woot woot! Gonna trade in those discs and get some money back. Then it's time to convert :-D

I love GOT and really wanted the series in steelbook but these (all same versions) are some of the fugliest steelbooks of the year which is such a shame when there is such wonderful imagery in the show :(

I love GOT and really wanted the series in steelbook but these (all same versions) are some of the fugliest steelbooks of the year which is such a shame when there is such wonderful imagery in the show :(

Treat them like you would a full slip,i have them and after initial concerns out of the box they're actually quite stunning in hand left in the box !

These look rather nice. However I was wondering how these sound compared to the previously released boxsets. I don't have Dolby Atmos support yet.