paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 23, 2023
Purchase links: Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £29.99 (Amazon - Zavvi) - £34.99 (HMV)

378002000_10229832149488484_6960135156118044114_n.jpg
71lG4mVS53L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81cUTtikOBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon list the runtime as 2 hours and 36 minutes... is there an alt cut I don't know about??

Amazon list the runtime as 2 hours and 36 minutes... is there an alt cut I don't know about??
That must be a mistake. My old DVD was 1 hour 56 mins. I've never heard of an extended or directors cut, even the US Criterion is the original 116 mins.
Would be cool if there was a longer cut offered but most likely its a combined extras runtime maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles
Jim Jarmusch’s 90s classic GHOST DOG: THE WAY OF THE SAMURAI, gloriously restored in 4K and making its UHD debut, is a superbly sharp, unique thriller featuring a magnificent lead performance from Forest Whitaker (Bird) in an iconoclastic mix of hip-hop, gangster movie and martial arts, with influences from Kurosawa, Suzuki and Melville.

Reactions: Retro Parrot
Charged. I really hope this is worth watching cos I've never seen it.
Jim Jarmusch can be a very marmite director. It certainly took me a few movies to decide I didn't get on with his style of filmmaking and this film is considered one of his more accessible as well

Yeah flat matte, not terrible but still disappointing, even though I pretty much expected it I still feel let down lol.

Watched this last night there are no English subs on the French speaking sections if you select to watch with subtitles “speaking French “ is displayed .This was not the director’s intent .Very disappointing .Issue present on both the 4k and Blu-ray Discs.Agreed Steelbook finish disappointing too as per previous comments
IMG_9602.jpeg

Last edited:
Watched this last night there are no English subs on the French speaking sections if you select to watch with subtitles “speaking French “ is displayed .This was not the director’s intent .Very disappointing .Issue present on both the 4k and Blu-ray Discs.Agreed Steelbook finish disappointing too as per previous comments View attachment 566253
That's ******* odd. How much French is there?

Not much, and it isn't really that relevant. The ice cream man essentially mirrors what Whitaker says moments before, during their various scenes together. It's quite funny, but nothing more
Fair enough. I'll be watching it later with some very nice ipas.

Watched this last night there are no English subs on the French speaking sections if you select to watch with subtitles “speaking French “ is displayed .This was not the director’s intent .Very disappointing .Issue present on both the 4k and Blu-ray Discs.Agreed Steelbook finish disappointing too as per previous comments View attachment 566253
From what I understand from the Director interviews, the French was never intended to be translated. We're not meant to understand the Haitian character just as Ghost doesn't understand him either. Viewer was supposed to mirror that.
The subtitles were added as an option on some region releases later on, like the Criterion in the US
Historically, the UK release has never had subtitles for the French guy.
It works as a verbal & visual representation of how a friendship can develop despite a language barrier.
A translation really isn't necessary. Don't worry. :joy: