Ghost in the Shell (1995) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: September 27, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Anime-On-Line - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99 (Zavvi - HMV - Amazon) - £37.49 (Anime-On-Line)
Note: The special features are on the blu-ray disc

AC486906-1CA0-42DF-A140-9E3366BF24E8.jpeg

97A90D20-30F3-4018-9568-59790D3905BE.jpeg7EB4DF16-1E19-4EFD-8081-4B85C535E3E7.jpegCA0DFEBC-5BC9-4BA2-BBE6-4F79055EE2A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have the US 4K steel, but I'm tempted to double dip on this. If the slip and steel are finished well (and manga don't fu^k up another 4K disc) this could be worthwhile, particularly at that price point. Steel looks embossed from the mockup too.

Just see the email for this. Steel is a bit weird but the slip looks great. Should of been the steel art

Exclusive Art by Matt Ferguson

Celebrate one of the most critically acclaimed anime films of all time in 4K Ultra HD!

2029: A female cybernetic government agent, Major Motoko Kusanagi, and the Internal Bureau of Investigations are hot on the trail of "The Puppet Master,” a mysterious and threatening computer virus capable of infiltrating human hosts. Together with her fellow agents from Section 9, Kusanagi embarks on a high-tech race against time to capture the omnipresent entity.

Director Mamoru Oshii's award-winning cyber-tech thriller, based on the comic book by Shirow Masamune, is lauded as one of the leading Japanese animation films of all time.

Brand new special features include:

• Full-length audio commentary of GHOST IN THE SHELL. Participants include: Mary Claypool (Animation Writer and English Language Scriptwriter of GHOST IN THE SHELL), Eric Calderon (Animation Producer and Writer), Richard Epcar (Voice of "Batou" in the GHOST IN THE SHELL franchise), Charles Solomon (Animation Historian and Critic)
  • "Accessing Section 9: 25 Years into the Future" Featurette
  • "Landscapes & Dreamscapes – The Art and Architecture of GHOST IN THE SHELL" Featurette
Box Set Includes:

• Steelbook with 1x UHD Disc and 1x Blu-ray disc
  • Envelope containing 6x Artcards and 1x Matt Ferguson’s “Ghost in the Shell” Poster
  • All packaged in a rigid box
Special Features​

• Audio Commentary - Full length audio commentary of GHOST IN THE SHELL. Participants include: Mary Claypool (Animation Writer and English Language Scriptwriter of GHOST IN THE SHELL), Eric Calderon (Animation Producer and Writer), Richard Epcar (Voice of ""Batou"" in the GHOST IN THE SHELL franchise), Charles Solomon (Animation Historian and Critic)
  • Accessing Section 9: 25 Years into the Future - Featurette (18:41)
  • Landscapes & Dreamscapes – The Art and Architecture of GHOST IN THE SHELL Featurette (10:49)
  • Production Report
  • Trailers
  • Digital Works

• Informative
Reactions: Shark
Absolutely perfect, placed an order. Will be swapping in my Japanese 4K discs as seen below (in an unrelated SteelBook), should look great!

YJNW89C.jpg

I do have the US SteelBook and discs (of which I assume the UK release is the same) but the Japanese discs and this SteelBook are nicer.

Reactions: Last Lizard
I do have the US SteelBook and discs (of which I assume the UK release is the same) but the Japanese discs and this SteelBook are nicer.
Fairly sure they won't be. US discs are lionsgate and these are manga entertainment, who have yet to use dolby vision or atmos. More than likely to be the same as the bandai Japanese 4K disc, with an added 5.1 English track. Happy to be proven wrong though, would make the choice to move on the US steel easier if I end up preferring this one once it's in hand.

Last edited:
Prices are getting out of hand now not a chance Zavvi
WEA steelbook + Slipbox.. its basicly a premium for 39,99GBP.. thats what everythingblu charges for their dressed up tur... steelbooks

but yeah, it kinda feels like it would be 29,99GBP only one or two years ago..