Ghost in the Shell (1995) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: September 27, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Anime-On-Line - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99 (Zavvi - HMV - Amazon) - £37.49 (Anime-On-Line)
Note: The special features are on the blu-ray disc

AC486906-1CA0-42DF-A140-9E3366BF24E8.jpeg

97A90D20-30F3-4018-9568-59790D3905BE.jpeg7EB4DF16-1E19-4EFD-8081-4B85C535E3E7.jpegCA0DFEBC-5BC9-4BA2-BBE6-4F79055EE2A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cancelled my order with Zavvi and ordered 2 copies from Anime-On-Line for $100 total (no tax and shipping included). 2 copies from Zavvi would cost me $124. Zavvi is ripping people off.

Reactions: MrSquifler
Cancelled my order with Zavvi and ordered 2 copies from Anime-On-Line for $100 total (no tax and shipping included). 2 copies from Zavvi would cost me $124. Zavvi is ripping people off.

Ripping people off how? Are they not allowed to charge the amount that they are?

Didn't say they couldn't charge what they want. I obviously have no control over their prices. Just pointed out that people can save money by purchasing from other retailers. What's so hard to understand? Do you work for them?

No I don't work for them but saying that they are ripping people off because they are charging £5 more than another retailer is ridiculous.

Reactions: samdavies
@MM3 How is Anime-online package ? Thanks.
The last item I ordered from them was the Wiked City/Demon City box set and they shipped it in a sturdy cardboard mailer/box with edge protection. Not sure how to say it, but those cardboard mailers with extra cardboard on the top and bottom that provides edge protection. My box set arrived safely and in mint condition.

• Thanks
Reactions: Space Cadet
No I don't work for them but saying that they are ripping people off because they are charging £5 more than another retailer is ridiculous.
All I know is that I saved $24, which seems like a big savings for one order. Why would a small retailer sell the exact same items for considerably less than a billion dollar retailer like Zavvi? You would think the opposite would be true. Plus we know how high their prices have generally gotten with steelbooks these days. For example, they are charging as much as $50 for 4K steelbooks of older movies even though a retailer like Best Buy is charging as low as $18.99 - $19.99 for 4K steelbooks of older movies. Even Target is charging $19.99 for many 4K steelbooks. It could be that US retailers can get better prices than international retailers, but Zavvi's prices do seem a bit high.

You’re using one example of them charging £5 more which might not be a lot but it’s still £5 more. Zavvi love to try their hardest at the highest price. It’s been going on a few years now. Constantly increasing. They love to rip us off. Especially when the same steel with a better finish is usually available in the US for half the price. One extra disc don’t and shouldn’t cost £15 more over here

Reactions: MM3
Zavvi and hmv are charging the same, amazon probably will be as well. Nobody is ripping anyone off, as it's evidently the RRP they've been advised by the distributor. Anime-On-Line have simply opted to list theirs lower for whatever reason.

• Haha
Reactions: MM3 and Stygian
Zavvi and hmv are charging the same, amazon probably will be as well. Nobody is ripping anyone off, as it's evidently the RRP they've been advised by the distributor. Anime-On-Line have simply opted to list theirs lower for whatever reason.

These editions (true romance etc) are far too overpriced just like new Disney steels like soul and Raya. We are being ripped off in general.
Distributor or retailer. It’s still a rip off. As I said, prices have been increasing a lot the past few years.

These editions (true romance etc) are far too overpriced just like new Disney steels like soul and Raya. We are being ripped off in general.
Distributor or retailer. It’s still a rip off. As I said, prices have been increasing a lot the past few years.
Oh yeah, prices are certainly creeping up, no doubt about that. I meant zavvi specifically isn't ripping anyone off on their price for this release, as it seems to be the tradewide rrp.

I don't think £35 for this is all that bad. I can understand why it would have been nice (for some) to have had the option of just the steel for £25 mind you. I really like the slip and art cards artwork though, so can live with the extra tenner, aslong as the quality is there.

In comparison to the other 2 Anime 4K I can think of that we've had released in the UK thus far (Akira & Your name), this is actually a reasonable deal. It's cheaper than both were initially I believe, and it comes with a steelbook.

Oh yeah, prices are certainly creeping up, no doubt about that. I meant zavvi specifically isn't ripping anyone off on their price for this release, as it seems to be the tradewide rrp.
they might not be in this instance with some retailers showing the same price (I imagine amazon could be lower) but in general they do rip off. Considering they get most the exclusives.

but then HMV are no better. I love them and have worked for them twice but there’s a reason they have gone into administration countless times. Although they are focusing more on vinyl lately which is working out better for them. Regardless of their prices, vinyl sells very well nowadays.

HMV don’t really do as many price drops anymore either. They often have deals with steels/ blus and vinyl but not so much price drops. At least zavvi have some decent drops from time to time and usually a working code.

This would of been £25 a few years ago on zavvi. Just like their exclusive steels used to be £14.99. Then £17.99. Now they are around £30. It’s changed a lot. And a 4K disc shouldn’t cost £15 more. Like I said previously when the same steel comes out in the US with a better finish for half the price it would be here then something ain’t right. 1 extra disc don’t cost £15 more. Zavvi have to be manipulating that price to a degree (and the studio too tbh)

"Ripping off" is a poor choice of words. Ripping somebody off would be accurate if Zavvi sold you this item and then deliberately refused to ship the item to you and then kept your money, refusing to provide a refund.

Perhaps "ripping off" means something different in the UK. :LOL:

they might not be in this instance with some retailers showing the same price (I imagine amazon could be lower) but in general they do rip off. Considering they get most the exclusives.

but then HMV are no better. I love them and have worked for them twice but there’s a reason they have gone into administration countless times. Although they are focusing more on vinyl lately which is working out better for them. Regardless of their prices, vinyl sells very well nowadays.

HMV don’t really do as many price drops anymore either. They often have deals with steels/ blus and vinyl but not so much price drops. At least zavvi have some decent drops from time to time and usually a working code.

This would of been £25 a few years ago on zavvi. Just like their exclusive steels used to be £14.99. Then £17.99. Now they are around £30. It’s changed a lot. And a 4K disc shouldn’t cost £15 more. Like I said previously when the same steel comes out in the US with a better finish for half the price it would be here then something ain’t right. 1 extra disc don’t cost £15 more. Zavvi have to be manipulating that price to a degree (and the studio too tbh)
I can't argue with you on the state of current UK prices mate, valid points all round. It's just the state of things over here and we either need to accept it or not purchase, it's as simple as that. Same goes for anything really, pints in a pub for example.. On a case by case, we're not going to make any difference being disgruntled about it. Just the way of the world sadly.

Unfortunately comparing the UK to US in terms of pricing or releases is fruitless as well. It's a different market with different customers and expectations. I feel hard done by too, but put into perspective the UK is still cheaper than Ireland, Nordic regions and we're certainly cheaper than the poor folks in Japan... particularly for 4K and steelbook releases.

Reactions: MM3 and Flloydo
Yes the RRP showing on Anime-On-Line is £49.99.

They happen to be offering it at a "SAVE 30%" price of £34.99.

So I guess Zavvi are ripping people off by only offering a savings of 20% :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: samdavies