Ghost in the Shell (1995) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: September 27, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Anime-On-Line - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99 (Zavvi - HMV - Amazon) - £37.49 (Anime-On-Line)
Note: The special features are on the blu-ray disc

AC486906-1CA0-42DF-A140-9E3366BF24E8.jpeg

97A90D20-30F3-4018-9568-59790D3905BE.jpeg7EB4DF16-1E19-4EFD-8081-4B85C535E3E7.jpegCA0DFEBC-5BC9-4BA2-BBE6-4F79055EE2A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ripping off" is a poor choice of words. Ripping somebody off would be accurate if Zavvi sold you this item and then deliberately refused to ship the item to you and then kept your money, refusing to provide a refund.

Perhaps "ripping off" means something different in the UK. :LOL:
It does lol it's more of a loose interpretation, complaining that we're not getting a good deal with pricing or with what's on offer compared to elsewhere. If we're being literally "ripped off" here I guessed we'd just call it being "scammed" :rofl:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stygian
It all boils down to how you personally rate the item as a collectable as unlike silver or gold it has little to no intrinsic value and it's a case of, "Do I perceive the 'true value' as much less than the seller's asking price?"

As for scam v. rip-off - a scam is a rip off, but a rip off is not always a scam.

We may bemoan the current prices and miss the £9.99 - £15.99 of steels in the early days (from 2008) but it shouldn't be forgotten that even 12 years ago there were regular steels sold that cost close to £20:-
20210511_093738_resized_1.jpg

Gotta love it when people try to use RRP as an example or justification
It always amuses me when Zavvi sells an exclusive steelbook (like, truly exclusive to them), and they list a retail price and then their sale price, pointing out what percentage lower it is. If this is the only place in the world to buy the steelbook, how can there be a "suggested retail price" that's different from what it's actually being sold for...? :rofl:

It always amuses me when Zavvi sells an exclusive steelbook (like, truly exclusive to them), and they list a retail price and then their sale price, pointing out what percentage lower it is. If this is the only place in the world to buy the steelbook, how can there be a "suggested retail price" that's different from what it's actually being sold for...? :rofl:

Yeah that gets me too.

The worst thing they do is increase prices on steels when they have a sale thinking no one will notice lol

Who gives a f...darn about RRP or "save...", all that counts is how much the item costs in the end ! That's it.
Exactly. I saved $24 buying 2 copies from Anime-On-Line. $100 total vs. $124 total. That's basically a $12 savings for each copy I bought. Some people consider that insignificant? Plus, it adds up over time. In this case, Zavvi was charging more than $5 extra for each copy once you look at the total cost.

May cancel mine and wait for the price to drop. They are selling it everywhere anyway. Anime usually stays in stock for a while. This would be the 4th time I’ve bought this film across different formats and that 1.5 remake with updated cgi. So not really missing out.

£40 is the price of two movies, it’s ridiculous. If the soundtrack was included in that price I would see value.

Link on amazon is live. Showing as £49.99 for now but I’m guessing that will change

Just in case anyone thought that the movie was on both discs, Anime-On-Line have confirmed that the movie is on the 4K disc only, with extras on the standard blu-ray.

“Box Set Includes:

- Steelbook with 1x UHD Disc and 1x Blu-ray special features disc”

Only the movie is on 4K. The extras are on standard BD."

Just in case anyone thought that the movie was on both discs, Anime-On-Line have confirmed that the movie is on the 4K disc only, with extras on the standard blu-ray.

“Box Set Includes:

- Steelbook with 1x UHD Disc and 1x Blu-ray special features disc”

Only the movie is on 4K. The extras are on standard BD."
Correct, well almost. The film is only on the UHD disc, however the extras are split across the two. Here's a more detailed piece of text..

Screenshot_20210518-172537_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: djjez83 and Noodles
43GBP shipped to germany at zavvi
33GBP shipped to germany at anime-on-line

... its nice to pay for uk tax at zavvi that they dont forward to the authorities but keep for themself.. that was perhaps acceptable when shipping was free

43GBP shipped to germany at zavvi
33GBP shipped to germany at anime-on-line

... its nice to pay for uk tax at zavvi that they dont forward to the authorities but keep for themself.. that was perhaps acceptable when shipping was free
Anime-on-line deducted UK VAT for you did they? Shipping to DE was £5 GBP? Are you not likely to get import fees in germany to accound for your VAT as well?

Anime-on-line deducted UK VAT for you did they? Shipping to DE was £5 GBP? Are you not likely to get import fees in germany to accound for your VAT as well?
the deducted uk vat and shipping was only 3GBP.. im likely to pay import fees.. but as likely as with zavvi, so thats not a difference ;) ill pay VAT twice with zavvi 1x uk 1x germany

the deducted uk vat and shipping was only 3GBP.. im likely to pay import fees.. but as likely as with zavvi, so thats not a difference ;) ill pay VAT twice with zavvi 1x uk 1x germany
That's not bad at all. Yeah fair point, paying 1 lot of VAT is bad enough, let alone 2! I read somewhere that zavvi were removing VAT for EU orders shortly, or already had done. Maybe worth looking into for the future?

Reactions: hatredhorror