Guardians of the Galaxy - Steelbook feedback for Disney

Would you be happy with the GOTG steelbook as currently designed?

• Yes

Votes: 126 23.6%
  • NO! Please give us an alternative design Disney & Marvel!

Votes: 407 76.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Attention members!

Please provide us with your feedback, alternate designs and definitely vote in the poll!

I will pass along this thread, along with your constructive feedback about how to improve upon the design that we've already been shown.

As we know, it is up to the studio to provide the final choice of artwork & design, but if this response if OVERWHELMING, we may have a shot to be heard.

Thanks in advance, as always for being members of HDN!

EDIT - To clarify, if our feedback is too late for this run, please keep in mind that this thread CAN be used for a variant steelbook release that could happen in the future! Keep those suggestions coming!

Last edited:
I'm in, quite like it. Surely all it would take is a slipcase for it and everybody would be happy. I've seen folk on here produce brilliant ones before. I'd happily pay for one to go over this. Best of both worlds.

I really love all the fan made/drawn posters that were being posted on the official Facebook page and being given out at IMAX, but could Marvel/Disney legally sell those?

This cover is very similar to the soundtrack's cover

Well as much as it annoys me, there is no way they will change the artwork on this - not just because it's late in the day, but because Disney are too stubborn to admit they made a terrible product.

The question is, is 76.5% of a 473 person vote going to be enough to make Disney realise that the majority of people hate this, and do better in future with other steels?

Well as much as it annoys me, there is no way they will change the artwork on this - not just because it's late in the day, but because Disney are too stubborn to admit they made a terrible product.

The question is, is 76.5% of a 473 person vote going to be enough to make Disney realize that the majority of people hate this, and do better in future with other steels?

Majority of people who dislike this on this forum. That's a full 362 people worldwide who dislike it that can be proven. It doesn't even mean lost sales as several members have said they will still buy as they want to complete the set.

When it was announced by James Gunn the amount of people bemoaning that it was sold out would probably fill in any cancelled orders at Zavvi.

That it's a terrible product is your opinion and that's what Disney will see it as , if they actually see it.

Last edited:
The question is, is 76.5% of a 473 person vote going to be enough to make Disney realise that the majority of people hate this, and do better in future with other steels?

I wonder what percentage of the 76.5% will buy it anyway?

its been around 75% all along since the start.
think it's time this thread was now moved to another section to be honest.
everyone who wanted to leave feedback has and now its the same comments keep getting kicked back up and i expect nothing to be done as normal disney action on things.
all this thread is doing now is keeping the board filled up at the top.
rip GOTG :muted:

basil :thumbs:

Majority of people who dislike this on this forum. That's a full 362 people worldwide who dislike it that can be proven. It doesn't even mean lost sales as several members have said they will still buy as they want to complete the set.

When it was announced by James Gunn the amount of people bemoaning that it was sold out would probably fill in any cancelled orders at Zavvi.

That it's a terrible product is your opinion and that's what Disney will see it as , if they actually see it.

I only consider the opinion of members of this, and other, steelbook forums to be relevant. As the customers who have sunk the most money into Disney pockets collecting this particular product type. James Gunn's post on Facebook is the first time I've personally seen a steelbook advertised on social media, and it just prompted a load of posts from people who have no clue what a steelbook is, what constitutes a good design, and were too stupid to even realise the walkman isn't correct. For those reasons, I don't care what they have to say.

Of course this will sell out, with a limit of 6,000 copies in a country with a population of over 64 million people it only requires 0.00009% of people buying a copy to make it sell out, and it is an amazing film! Let's be honest, it would eventually sell out if it was a just completely blank steel with "GOTG" printed on the front in times new roman!!

Disney, for once, should show some loyalty to the customer base who has shown loyalty to them. Instead of that though, their attitude is "we don't care if the regular steelbook collectors don't like it. Other people will and we'll still make our money"

If there is the smallest chance that Disney take some of the feedback posted here into consideration for this or future Steelbook releases, then the thread is worthy of existence. The Steelbook may already have been produced, Disney may ignore our feedback completely but there is no harm in making our feelings known. It's also worth remembering that Disney isn't the only stakeholder here.

I love it. I think it's really cool. Sure, it's hardly an amazing piece of artwork or even something that looks stunning, but it's still something that fits perfectly in with the movie!

Reactions: andrewmacattack
I only consider the opinion of members of this, and other, steelbook forums to be relevant. As the customers who have sunk the most money into Disney pockets collecting this particular product type. James Gunn's post on Facebook is the first time I've personally seen a steelbook advertised on social media, and it just prompted a load of posts from people who have no clue what a steelbook is, what constitutes a good design, and were too stupid to even realise the walkman isn't correct. For those reasons, I don't care what they have to say.

Of course this will sell out, with a limit of 6,000 copies in a country with a population of over 64 million people it only requires 0.00009% of people buying a copy to make it sell out, and it is an amazing film! Let's be honest, it would eventually sell out if it was a just completely blank steel with "GOTG" printed on the front in times new roman!!

Disney, for once, should show some loyalty to the customer base who has shown loyalty to them. Instead of that though, their attitude is "we don't care if the regular steelbook collectors don't like it. Other people will and we'll still make our money"

And the opinion of this forum and others shows that Disney will loose at max 363 sales (assuming that all 363 were intending on buying it and were just voting because they don't like it with no intention of buying it ever) Worldwide because of this design

I'm not on facebook but I do know that HMV promote all their exclusives on their facebook page, Arrow and Masters of cinema do it as well.

You do realize that once you didn't know what a steelbook was . Without all those people buying this who might hang around and collect more the market might stagnate. Surely new collectors are welcome. Imagine if you were visiting this forum for the first time (a friendly forum the welcome message says) and they were to see your comments about them.

Just because you don't like some thing doesn't mean that other people are wrong . To call them stupid because it isn't an exact replica of of a walkman ((c) sony ), when they probably don't care , is extremely petty .

Disney owe you nothing . Honestly they don't.

And the opinion of this forum and others shows that Disney will loose at max 363 sales (assuming that all 363 were intending on buying it and were just voting because they don't like it with no intention of buying it ever) Worldwide because of this design

I'm not on facebook but I do know that HMV promote all their exclusives on their facebook page, Arrow and Masters of cinema do it as well.

You do realize that once you didn't know what a steelbook was . Without all those people buying this who might hang around and collect more the market might stagnate. Surely new collectors are welcome. Imagine if you were visiting this forum for the first time (a friendly forum the welcome message says) and they were to see your comments about them.

Just because you don't like some thing doesn't mean that other people are wrong . To call them stupid because it isn't an exact replica of of a walkman ((c) sony ), when they probably don't care , is extremely petty .

Disney owe you nothing . Honestly they don't.

I appreciate your point that we all started somewhere. But I fully disagree with your last statement. Every Business has a debt to its consumers, for without them, they wouldn't have a Business at all. A global giant like Disney has a reputation for many things, one of which is giving a superior product - they owe that to all consumers who pay their premium prices for every product they sell.

My point is, 76% of the passionate collectors (that have voted) of a product type, are unhappy with the product. Disney has a responsibility to address them, end of story.

Reactions: rj531
My point is, 76% of the passionate collectors (that have voted) of a product type, are unhappy with the product. Disney has a responsibility to address them, end of story.

The thing is, money talks and if something sells, whether you like it or not, weather a handful of the tens of thousands of folks who buy it didn't like the design ....if it sells, it's a success, the only way Disney or anyone else will do anything about design in the future is if something doesn't sell.

The thing is, money talks and if something sells, whether you like it or not, weather a handful of the tens of thousands of folks who buy it didn't like the design ....if it sells, it's a success, the only way Disney or anyone else will do anything about design in the future is if something doesn't sell.

The Lone Ranger (cinematic release, steel and associated merchandise) that sold, success or failure?

I guess my points are made from an ethical & moral postion, and no-one can tell me that Disney are known for good ethics & morals...

I appreciate your point that we all started somewhere. But I fully disagree with your last statement. Every Business has a debt to its consumers, for without them, they wouldn't have a Business at all. A global giant like Disney has a reputation for many things, one of which is giving a superior product - they owe that to all consumers who pay their premium prices for every product they sell.

I would love Disney to comment on this , maybe to say that they would have a look at their designs in the future , or just to put titles on spines , but they won't . Or if they do it'll be meaningless, almost like a form letter they send out (we understand your concerns and shall investigate this further , our design department assures us they are committed to only the finest designs) then the next marvel steel will be Ultons left nut (he's a robot !) and 90% of the forum hates it , won't make a difference.

It's 76% of less than 1% of their potential worldwide market . I like the current design, but I wouldn't say no to a mondo design.

It might be best to wait until this sells out and lobby Disney to do an alternate design - they can't turn down extra money for what will then be a catalogue title.

Disney are well known for doing as little for their customer base as possible. Avengers Assemble released missing extras (because they were recorded/made after the master was sent to Europe- by boat I assume ) and censored because they were too cheap to create 2 masters for Europe . Extras omitted from Pixar release because they don't want to pay for them to be certified. I remember when their vhs cassettes were on poor quality tape , which as they would be played constantly was poor form .

Reminder folks to please stay on topic, any other debates can be taken into the appropriate threads or by PMs, thank you for your cooperation.

Think when the blu-ray case looks as amazing as this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 122
...we have every reason to feel aggrieved by the insanely poor choice on what we've been left with.

Absolutely! I would have liked the Walkman idea if they had done 2 things:

1: Used the correct Walkman
2: Given a free set of replica headphones to go with it

Imagine @AgentMcQueen's awesome artwork (below) on display with a set of the headphones over the top, now THAT would be a premium product that would look amazing!

BJu3aIzl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.