Halloween (2018) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: February 25, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi - HMV (Pre order live at Midnight October 19 UK time)
Price: £29.99

01-508704.png

02-508704.png03-508704.jpg

old mock up.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Norwichlad
I don't think they're struggling sheerly because they're asking £30 for a 4k steelbook.

I think the quality of film and steelbook design has to be factored in too. Most of the films listed above either were crap and/or had a crap steelbook.
The only steelbook they sold out at full price £29.99 was Blade Runner 2049

After Blade Runner 2049
HMV have been pricing all new release 4K steelbooks at £29.99 for all film studio releases they had an exclusive
Before Blade Runner 2049 new release 4K exclusive steelbooks with HMV pre order price was £19.99 to £24.99

Again with the 4k steelbook price debate.

When new 2D/4K releases sell for the higher end of between £20-25 then why is £5 extra for a steelbook talked about as a rip off when people routinely pay £25 for a 2D/3D version of a film in a steelbook?

2D/3D amaray - £18-20 2D/3D steelbook - £25
2D/4K amaray - £20-25 steelbook - £30

No one is forcing anyone here to buy a steelbook for x amount sheerly because it has a particular disc in it. IF you have to have it however, there are plenty of places where you can flog the 4K disc and you'd have no problem getting atleast a tenner for it which essentially reduces the cost down to what you wanted to pay for the standard blu ray disc and the steelbook anyway.

Yep! I paid £24.99 many a time for 2D+3D Disney Steelbooks despite never having or wanting a 3D set-up, I just wanted the regular 2D version and the nice Steelbook case. Now the tables have turned everybody complains, but seeing 3D attached to every new release at the time was just the way it was. :dunno:

However, I still think HMV could manage £27.99 for 2D+4K. Sony and Fox started off with offering £24.99 for a 4K+2D set last year. £30 a time isn't going to convince people to upgrade.

Just back after seeing this. Feel a bit disappointed to be honest. Thought it was going to be better. Didn't live up to the hype for me.

Having watched the complete Shout Factory box set over the last couple of weeks, it's really only more of the same. Only brought into 2018 for the new cinema goers.

Probably on a par with Rob Zombie's remake for me. It's OK, just don't expect anything special.

Parts of it felt rushed to me. With some scenes feeling tacked on. And it felt like they ran out of ideas about 3/4 the way through and didn't know how to end it.

Be interested to see what the rest of you think......

For those interested
Bloody Flicks production provide on YouTube
Free streaming of the Full Documentary
The new, exciting retrospective documentary celebrating 40 years of John Carpenter's Halloween. By the fans for the fans

For the Love of the Boogeyman: 40 Years of Halloween

Reactions: Steelselecta
Just back after seeing this. Feel a bit disappointed to be honest. Thought it was going to be better. Didn't live up to the hype for me.

Having watched the complete Shout Factory box set over the last couple of weeks, it's really only more of the same. Only brought into 2018 for the new cinema goers.

Probably on a par with Rob Zombie's remake for me. It's OK, just don't expect anything special.

Parts of it felt rushed to me. With some scenes feeling tacked on. And it felt like they ran out of ideas about 3/4 the way through and didn't know how to end it.

Be interested to see what the rest of you think......

Just seen the film and same, not paying £15 for this let alone £30! The Michael Myers scenes were awesome, but everything else was just bad IMO.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Now that I've had time to process it, the more I think about this, the more this film annoyed me.

Here are the issues I had with it in the spoilers below.

The pre credit scene:
What was the point of this? I was really looking forward to seeing where this would go after seeing it in the teaser trailer. But it ends up going nowhere with the guy just screaming at Michael with the mask. Pointless.

Grandaughter's boyfriend:
What was the point of spending so much time showing this guy in the beginning only for it to come to nothing? The scene where they have an argument at the house party is completely pointless. We never see him again after this.

Loomis's Dr:
This character was just awful. Would you really give up all your years of being a doctor and start killing people especially a member of law enforcement just to see what it was like? This plot line is worse than anything out of the previous sequels.

The prison bus crash:
This part of the film was odd. It never showed what happened. Lazy writing not showing how Michael got out of the handcuffs. Again the scene with the boy shooting the doctor was pointless. What was the point of that? Why didn't Michael kill the doctor? Did they really go to all that trouble just for a single jump scare?

There was a bunch of other things too that bothered me. The granddaughters dad: How do you get peanut butter on your penis? Unless your penis is out there on the table! WTF? And he was just really annoying overall. The way Michael kills the lady in the house that comes to the window. He was walking down a street full of people but it seemed like he went out of his way to kill this particular lady. I'm not sure if it was to show that there is no pattern to his killing but it seemed out of character to me.

The whole thing just seemed rushed to me and certain scenes just seemed like they were from a different version of the movie. I'm guessing this is from the studio getting involved. I saw a TV spot yesterday where he's attacking a woman in a shower. This wasn't in the version of the film I saw. So I'm betting there will be a bunch of deleted scenes or a directors cut on the blu ray.

Also the ending was terrible. Totally anti climatic. Leaving it wide open for another money spinning sequel...

Don't read unless you've seen the film yet.....

• Thanks
Reactions: UpsetSmiley
I understand that it includes the 4K disc, but the majority of Steelbook collectors have blu ray collections, just can't justify a thirty quid price tag to get a blu ray I can buy on amaray for 13.99. Sorry, no sale.

:wow:
I understand that it includes the 4K disc, but the majority of Steelbook collectors have blu ray collections, just can't justify a thirty quid price tag to get a blu ray I can buy on amaray for 13.99. Sorry, no sale.

Thinking like that I'm surprised you collect steelbooks at all as standard releases are generally between £20-25 and all premiums will cost you virtually double that delivered.

Now that I've had time to process it, the more I think about this, the more this film annoyed me.

Here are the issues I had with it in the spoilers below.

Don't read unless you've seen the film yet.....

Re:
The bus crash: It's implied because the doctor was the only one to have survived, and the fact that he's infatuated by Micheal, that he aided in the accident in order to let him escape.

Not completely sure what people are wanting/expecting from this movie. We can sit here and pick the plot apart but ultimately this is a Halloween movie in 2018. It's not going to be the citizen kane of slashers. John Carpenter couldn't even replicate or attempt to replicate what he did in the original due to the landscape for slasher movies changing since Halloween 1978 came out hence why he passed on directing anymore movies.

Main criticisms I see for this movie is that it's too much "fan service" or pays too much "homage" to the original. It's just like the new Star Wars movies, Force Awakens comes out and its bashed for being too much fan service, Last Jedi comes out and its bashed for taking the franchise in a completely different direction then people were expecting. You can't please people these days obviously.

The movie is about a man who wears a mask and kills people. This is the 10th movie about the same subject matter. How different could it possibly be really?

I for one think its a good movie and it's a good Halloween movie. Its not perfect, definitely a good 7 out of 10. I'm just happy to see Michael back on the big screen

The other side of the coin is 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for the grand price of £34.99 - a price that hasn't stopped it selling out at the pre-order stage EEK!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the TBC artwork: bit too close for comfort to the 2007 R. Z. release . . .
1540080696261.png
1540080753075.png

. . . would prefer something to go better with the original film's steelbook such as this - courtesy artist Matthew Peak . . . with spot glossed blade as on the poster (and of course glow-in-the-dark pumpkin):-
1540081610818.png
1540081471920.png
/
1540080596607.png

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
Not completely sure what people are wanting/expecting from this movie. We can sit here and pick the plot apart but ultimately this is a Halloween movie in 2018. It's not going to be the citizen kane of slashers. John Carpenter couldn't even replicate or attempt to replicate what he did in the original due to the landscape for slasher movies changing since Halloween 1978 came out hence why he passed on directing anymore movies.

Main criticisms I see for this movie is that it's too much "fan service" or pays too much "homage" to the original. It's just like the new Star Wars movies, Force Awakens comes out and its bashed for being too much fan service, Last Jedi comes out and its bashed for taking the franchise in a completely different direction then people were expecting. You can't please people these days obviously.

The movie is about a man who wears a mask and kills people. This is the 10th movie about the same subject matter. How different could it possibly be really?

I for one think its a good movie and it's a good Halloween movie. Its not perfect, definitely a good 7 out of 10. I'm just happy to see Michael back on the big screen
I know what it is. I'm a Halloween fan. I don't need it explained.

But the hype that was created before release and the finished product was very disappointing for me as a fan of the series.

This is being touted as the best Halloween movie since the first one. And it's clearly not. Infact some of the heavily criticised sequels are just as good as it.......

I'm happy Michael is back on the big screen too. I just really wanted it to be better.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
Saw it last night... Good movie.
Obviously it's never going to be better than the first one because that is what started it all, but the fact that they've done this as a direct sequel, 40 years later, and ignoring all the other movies is great.
Realistically how many times can one man keep coming back to kill? LOL. Thank god they ignored all the other films and made it simple and fresh again and what they've done here is given this franchise new life again, even if another movie is never made.
All the teenagers going to see this who had never seen the original have almost certainly seen both now to connect the dots. I don't particulary think they should make another one. It just really waters down the franchise to keep coming back with movie after movie about the same person doing the same things. After Halloween 2 I ignored all the others anyway because they were just stupid. I gave the Rob Zombie version a go because it was a remake but it was just 'ok'. Between this 2018 movie and the original it's a simple story and in most parts a believable one. I really like how Myers wanders around the street past the children trick or treating, who wouldn't have a clue who he is at their age. I thought Laurie Strode was a bit OTT with her paranoia. It's understandable when you've tried to be murdered that you would be paranoid etc but how many people would have a trap door built in their basement with a remote-controlled revolving kitchen worktop that is there as both a safe haven and a trap... just in case he returns within the next 40 years lol, but rather than getting too in depth in the whole plot of what worked and what didn't (most things did), I enjoyed it for what it is. A good ol' fashioned horror slasher that has been released in time for Halloween, because y'know, that's the name of the movie and what it's based around.

I give it a 7/10... maybe a 8/10.

Like many people I don't take these sort of films seriously.

Oh, and the post credits thing... they shouldn't have bothered because nobody would ever ever escape what happened at the end LOL.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Saw it last night... Good movie.
Obviously it's never going to be better than the first one because that is what started it all, but the fact that they've done this as a direct sequel, 40 years later, and ignoring all the other movies is great.
Realistically how many times can one man keep coming back to kill? LOL. Thank god they ignored all the other films and made it simple and fresh again and what they've done here is given this franchise new life again, even if another movie is never made.
All the teenagers going to see this who had never seen the original have almost certainly seen both now to connect the dots. I don't particulary think they should make another one. It just really waters down the franchise to keep coming back with movie after movie about the same person doing the same things. After Halloween 2 I ignored all the others anyway because they were just stupid. I gave the Rob Zombie version a go because it was a remake but it was just 'ok'. Between this 2018 movie and the original it's a simple story and in most parts a believable one. I really like how Myers wanders around the street past the children trick or treating, who wouldn't have a clue who he is at their age. I thought Laurie Strode was a bit OTT with her paranoia. It's understandable when you've tried to be murdered that you would be paranoid etc but how many people would have a trap door built in their basement with a remote-controlled revolving kitchen worktop that is there as both a safe haven and a trap... just in case he returns within the next 40 years lol, but rather than getting too in depth in the whole plot of what worked and what didn't (most things did), I enjoyed it for what it is. A good ol' fashioned horror slasher that has been released in time for Halloween, because y'know, that's the name of the movie and what it's based around.

I give it a 7/10... maybe a 8/10.

Like many people I don't take these sort of films seriously.

Oh, and the post credits thing... they shouldn't have bothered because nobody would ever ever escape what happened at the end LOL.
Box office performance can do amazing things to what can happen ;)

You forgot the ending of Halloween 2 in 1981 ;)
That did not stop them doing Halloween 4

If it breathes it's alive ;) :D