• I am not sure if I will-I am on the fence

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey ninjas!

A fun poll for you to comment and share whether you've upgraded your equipment/discs, and why you have or haven't done so.

Have fun!

DB

uhd1-jpg.253454

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4,760
Last edited:
Strangely enough I happen to look at one of the discs that was playing up half an hour ago and when I shined it to the light i could see a few dirt marks in the middle of the disc which I hadn't noticed. I cleaned the disc and then played it at the point it was playing up. Fine now. I always handle my disc carefully so I'm assuming it happened when the disc was being packaged. Will check the other discs later. Clearly these discs are more sensitive to dirt than blu-ray discs.

With 8K TVs being released I think I'm gonna skip 4K and go from 1080p to 8k!

I wanna see a huge difference in terms of picture quality.

....that being said.....should I drop 4k for a 8K tv or wait till the prices drop

With 8K TVs being released I think I'm gonna skip 4K and go from 1080p to 8k!

I wanna see a huge difference in terms of picture quality.

....that being said.....should I drop 4k for a 8K tv or wait till the prices drop
At the moment 8k content is virtually non existent. I would wait for price drops and more common content. Too early imo.

I’m on the fence of whether to invest in a 4K blu-ray player...

I’d have to pickup a region-free model due to the range of releases I have, which means dropping a good £250-£400 on a player. I’m not sure I’m ready to do that! :shipped:

This may be controversial but I’ve got a 65” 4K Samsung QLED, which does an incredible job at upscaling content, so I’m not sure if I really need a 4K player to replace my region-free blu-ray player...

Reactions: jasong
I’m on the fence of whether to invest in a 4K blu-ray player...

I’d have to pickup a region-free model due to the range of releases I have, which means dropping a good £250-£400 on a player. I’m not sure I’m ready to do that! :shipped:

This may be controversial but I’ve got a 65” 4K Samsung QLED, which does an incredible job at upscaling content, so I’m not sure if I really need a 4K player to replace my region-free blu-ray player...
If you have a region free blu ray player why would you need to get another region free one?

All 4K discs are region free anyway, so just hook up a regular 4K player with your region free blu ray player to your TV.

If you have a region free blu ray player why would you need to get another region free one?

All 4K discs are region free anyway, so just hook up a regular 4K player with your region free blu ray player to your TV.

Oh, I didn’t actually know that 4K discs were all region free!

Well that’s saved me a lot of money! I guess I’ll get looking at a region locked 4K player then.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Oh, I didn’t actually know that 4K discs were all region free!

Well that’s saved me a lot of money! I guess I’ll get looking at a region locked 4K player then.

The region free making of 4k players is generally to make normal blu-ray playing region free. So if you are ok to keep the current player and not replace it, but have an additional player, you'll be fine. If you want to replace the device with a 4k player and only have the space for a single device on which you need to play different region non-4k blu-rays, then you would need to get a region free player.

• Informative
Reactions: Behold
The region free making of 4k players is generally to make normal blu-ray playing region free. So if you are ok to keep the current player and not replace it, but have an additional player, you'll be fine. If you want to replace the device with a 4k player and only have the space for a single device on which you need to play different region non-4k blu-rays, then you would need to get a region free player.

Region-free 4K players are so damn pricey! Although my region free blu-ray player doesn't work very well so I may have no choice, and plus I think I'd just prefer the one unit, for space purposes.

Region-free 4K players are so damn pricey! Although my region free blu-ray player doesn't work very well so I may have no choice, and plus I think I'd just prefer the one unit, for space purposes.

I moved away from region free players as they didn't last long so I invested in two Pioneer 4k LX500 players, one region B, one region A and I'm glad I did. Loading and playback on either region is way way better and the machines are solid build so I should get years of usage out of them.

It's 2021, and I finally bought a 4k OLED to replace my ageing plasma. It was used from ebay, because I wanted a 3D TV, and there was no sign of 3D making a comeback soon.

My next project is to make a 'home cinema PC'; I bought a Lenovo tiny PC for that purpose. Maybe buy a 'friendly' UHD drive and rip 4K titles direct to hard drive.

It's 2021, and I finally bought a 4k OLED to replace my ageing plasma. It was used from ebay, because I wanted a 3D TV, and there was no sign of 3D making a comeback soon.

My next project is to make a 'home cinema PC'; I bought a Lenovo tiny PC for that purpose. Maybe buy a 'friendly' UHD drive and rip 4K titles direct to hard drive.
Do you mind me asking how much a second hand 3D 4K TV is?

Is it a Sony Z9D?

I thought the Sony was an LED TV, I did say I bought an OLED (apologies if I am wrong about the Sony). Also I read that Sony 3D TVs suffered from 3D flickering issues, and I almost always have bad experiences with Sony products.

I bought an LG, a 55E6V. It was from an old (late 70s) couple that had everything apart from the box, and it was in immaculate condition with a year of John Lewis guarantee remaining (not that it will help if the panel goes, I believe there are no 3D panels now). The LG glasses are cheap rubbish, I bought some Polaroid ones on ebay and they have improved the 3D experience. I paid £700. Someone at work raised an eyebrow, but the TV cost over £4000 new. Also, if you want a 4K OLED 3D TV, you aren't going to find many bargains, unless you want one advertised with 'slight screen burn'. Thanks to coronavirus I had the money (working but not going out anywhere!), so I bought it.

I'm wondering what to do with my old Panasonic plasma now...

• Helpful Post
I thought the Sony was an LED TV, I did say I bought an OLED (apologies if I am wrong about the Sony). Also I read that Sony 3D TVs suffered from 3D flickering issues, and I almost always have bad experiences with Sony products.

I bought an LG, a 55E6V. It was from an old (late 70s) couple that had everything apart from the box, and it was in immaculate condition with a year of John Lewis guarantee remaining (not that it will help if the panel goes, I believe there are no 3D panels now). The LG glasses are cheap rubbish, I bought some Polaroid ones on ebay and they have improved the 3D experience. I paid £700. Someone at work raised an eyebrow, but the TV cost over £4000 new. Also, if you want a 4K OLED 3D TV, you aren't going to find many bargains, unless you want one advertised with 'slight screen burn'. Thanks to coronavirus I had the money (working but not going out anywhere!), so I bought it.

I'm wondering what to do with my old Panasonic plasma now...
Nice!

700 is a fantastic price for what you're getting IMO.

Enjoy :thumbs: