Hidefninja new SteelBook™ Collector Lounge

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
*For retailer-specific chat, please visit the new Retailer Steelbook Zone here

Welcome all Steelbook newcomers from around the world!

For more Steelbook lists, pictures, and resources visit:

This is a thread for those new to the hobby or those with general questions about collecting Steelbooks, including retailer-specific questions.

To keep things organized, please keep all trading talk in the Trading forum, and search for specific Steelbooks for more specific title-specific questions.

I am sure our seasoned members are happy to provide assistance, so please don't be afraid to ask-we all started this addiction somewhere. Regardless if your collection is small or large, someone here can probably help.

Have fun!:D
DB

Steelbook & Collecting FAQ's:

Q: Where can I find a list of Steelbooks released?

A: blu-raysteelbooks.com

Q: Can I play movies contained inside Steelbooks on my Blu-Ray Player?

A: It depends-Blu-Rays are coded with Region A, B or C. Most Blu-Rays are "unlocked", regardless of what region they are, but it's always a good idea to check this forum or web resources before buying, as some are "locked".

Q: What are the differences between Steelbooks™, Iron Packs™, Metal Paks™, Viva Metal Boxes, Tins, etc?

A: Check out pics and discussion in our forum here

Q: What does "G1" and "G2" mean when discussing Steelbooks?

A: "G1" (1st Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a DVD-sized case. And "G2" (2nd Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

Q: How to fix a loose disc on a steelbook you want to keep factory sealed that came with a floater?

A: Fixing a loose disc

Q: How do I navigate international shopping sites?

A: You can download a free 'add on' for most browsers called 'Google Translate'. Once you have it installed, the pages will translate automatically.

Q: I have many more questions-is there a general list of links to help me learn about Steelbooks, protecting them, etc?

A: Yes, here

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a more appropriate thread for this post and if so I'm sure that Staff/Mods will move this. :) Just wanted to bring other members attention to a scam involving Amazon.co.uk which I saw on The One Show a BBC magazine TV programme the other day. It is reported in full
here. An extract is shown below, "Chris" is the unlucky victim who was buying a GBP990 television.

Hope this is of use,

There called Phishing sites. In easier terminology they are sites that deploy and look almost identically similar to the well established site that your used to visiting. In most cases the user is lured in via an email message. Believe it or not 5 to 20 different phishing sites pop up a month in relation to PayPal alone via email.

I get at least 4 or 5 a year. The best rule of advice is to not follow links out of your email that ask for you to login in or resubmit confidential information. In most email clients you can roll over a link within your email and look at your information bar towards the bottom of the screen and see where that link actually leads you. Any kind of credit card or PayPal site I would not click on any link whatsoever. Instead use your browser to browse to the site on your own and enter you confidential information that way.

Reactions: surfury and ocielz
There called Phishing sites. In easier terminology they are sites that deploy and look almost identically similar to the well established site that your used to visiting. In most cases the user is lured in via an email message. Believe it or not 5 to 20 different phishing sites pop up a month in relation to PayPal alone via email.

I get at least 4 or 5 a year. The best rule of advice is to not follow links out of your email that ask for you to login in or resubmit confidential information. In most email clients you can roll over a link within your email and look at your information bar towards the bottom of the screen and see where that link actually leads you. Any kind of credit card or PayPal site I would not click on any link whatsoever. Instead use your browser to browse to the site on your own and enter you confidential information that way.

Fair comment Kelly and extremely solid advice. My point, which I didn't make clear, was that with the increased numbers of members here and the fairly sharp increase in UK Steels and others, an element of caution might not be a bad idea on any Amazon sites (but not just them) especially if it's not in your usual language.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Hello not sure we're to ask this. How is the packaging at zavvi.com? I'm here in Canada and I want some of the new steels coming out, but not worth wasting money if they come in flat or bent.
Tks guys

Hello not sure we're to ask this. How is the packaging at zavvi.com? I'm here in Canada and I want some of the new steels coming out, but not worth wasting money if they come in flat or bent.
Tks guys

Zavvi's packaging is very good (cardboard box and foam padding). You're better off asking retailer specific questions in the 'Steelbook™ Retailer Zone':

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178

More specifically, the 'Zavvi Retailer Thread':

https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/22531/

Reactions: DevilSmoke
Hi guys, some urgent advice would be appreciated. I have purchased the US shawshank redemption, with the seller on eBay saying it is region free.

When I check on amazon, it says region 1. The seller says they are region free, but he has not checked??

Is it region free?

Thanks in advance!

It's Warner Brothers - the kings of Region Free Discs.
Amazon don't know their arse from their elbow. They are thick
They categorise everything as locked to the region in which they are selling the product in order to be safe and never change the specifications unless they are provided with 32 pages of documentary evidence and a box of chocolates.
Even after 10 years of Blu-ray , they still list some of the discs as Region 1 even though they have been told 1 million times and know damn well that 1,2,3 etc belongs to DVD and A B C is Blu-ray.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

You should never rely on Amazon anyway, ask in forums (as you have done here :) )

Reactions: PKAVFC
It's Warner Brothers - the kings of Region Free Discs.
Amazon don't know their arse from their elbow. They are thick
They categorise everything as locked to the region in which they are selling the product in order to be safe and never change the specifications unless they are provided with 32 pages of documentary evidence and a box of chocolates.
Even after 10 years of Blu-ray , they still list some of the discs as Region 1 even though they have been told 1 million times and know damn well that 1,2,3 etc belongs to DVD and A B C is Blu-ray.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

You should never rely on Amazon anyway, ask in forums (as you have done here :) )

Thanks so much!:scat:

Customs / Handling charges don't come into effect if the articles value is less than £ 15.
You don't include the postage charge in the £ 15 limit - just the article itself.
In other words, you can order 2 steelbooks at $ 9.99 each and still not pay customs charges.

Reactions: PKAVFC
Can anybody identify which Avatar version I have?
  • 3 Discs
  • Each disc is region B&C
  • Flyer inside for Excel Home Entertainment
  • Same art as the Japan version.

It doesn't have a slip so is difficult to identify. Tried the collection Manager and youtube with no luck!

Thanks