Hidefninja new SteelBook™ Collector Lounge

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
*For retailer-specific chat, please visit the new Retailer Steelbook Zone here

Welcome all Steelbook newcomers from around the world!

For more Steelbook lists, pictures, and resources visit:

This is a thread for those new to the hobby or those with general questions about collecting Steelbooks, including retailer-specific questions.

To keep things organized, please keep all trading talk in the Trading forum, and search for specific Steelbooks for more specific title-specific questions.

I am sure our seasoned members are happy to provide assistance, so please don't be afraid to ask-we all started this addiction somewhere. Regardless if your collection is small or large, someone here can probably help.

Have fun!:D
DB

Steelbook & Collecting FAQ's:

Q: Where can I find a list of Steelbooks released?

A: blu-raysteelbooks.com

Q: Can I play movies contained inside Steelbooks on my Blu-Ray Player?

A: It depends-Blu-Rays are coded with Region A, B or C. Most Blu-Rays are "unlocked", regardless of what region they are, but it's always a good idea to check this forum or web resources before buying, as some are "locked".

Q: What are the differences between Steelbooks™, Iron Packs™, Metal Paks™, Viva Metal Boxes, Tins, etc?

A: Check out pics and discussion in our forum here

Q: What does "G1" and "G2" mean when discussing Steelbooks?

A: "G1" (1st Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a DVD-sized case. And "G2" (2nd Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

Q: How to fix a loose disc on a steelbook you want to keep factory sealed that came with a floater?

A: Fixing a loose disc

Q: How do I navigate international shopping sites?

A: You can download a free 'add on' for most browsers called 'Google Translate'. Once you have it installed, the pages will translate automatically.

Q: I have many more questions-is there a general list of links to help me learn about Steelbooks, protecting them, etc?

A: Yes, here

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have been looking, but for such a pricy steel, I won't use eBay. There are plenty of members trading / selling them on here. Adding to that as 99% on here are collectors, so they know how to package them for post.

True regarding the packaging, but you won't be getting a super-cheap one on here. This is what eBay is there for now. On HDN folks (myself included!!) usually want a realistic price or the "real value" (in some cases the nostalgic value from about a year ago), whereas more often than not you can score huge bargains on eBay now due to a general price decrease or auctions ending at the wrong time or just plain luck.

True regarding the packaging, but you won't be getting a super-cheap one on here. This is what eBay is there for now. On HDN folks (myself included!!) usually want a realistic price or the "real value" (in some cases the nostalgic value from about a year ago), whereas more often than not you can score huge bargains on eBay now due to a general price decrease or auctions ending at the wrong time or just plain luck.

More often than not, eBay prices are realistic and forum prices are ridiculous.

More often than not, eBay prices are realistic and forum prices are ridiculous.

More often than not, forum prices just reflect PREVIOUS (inflated) eBay prices and sellers (again, myself totally included) are clinging onto these nostalgic times and values. I tried selling/trading a sealed and OCD mint Iron Man play for 79€ on here for months - no luck, went to eBay and got 64€ for it 2 weeks ago.

I sometimes feel really sorry for some delusional sellers on here (like this one weirdo who wants 30 Euros for things like The Devil Inside or Baytown Outlaws which cost between 5€ and 8€ on amazon and Media Markt for months)...

More often than not, forum prices just reflect PREVIOUS (inflated) eBay prices and sellers (again, myself totally included) are clinging onto these nostalgic times and values. I tried selling/trading a sealed and OCD mint Iron Man play for 79€ on here for months - no luck, went to eBay and got 64€ for it 2 weeks ago.

I sometimes feel really sorry for some delusional sellers on here (like this one weirdo who wants 30 Euros for things like The Devil Inside or Baytown Outlaws which cost between 5€ and 8€ on amazon and Media Markt for months)...

Yes that's true but you also have sellers who are just trying to take advantage of members who aren't as smart when it comes to prices or are new to collecting. Looking through the first few threads of UK members, I can a couple of reasonably priced sellers but also some ridiculous prices on in stock Steelbooks from others. I know most like to try and get back what they paid, but asking ridiculous prices for readily available is beyond a joke. I know everyone is free to decide what an acceptable price is, but it just annoys me enough that I don't even bother checking the trade section. Even if another member has the item for sale, chances are it is a lot more than I want to pay. Here is an example of some of the prices, extraordinary is the only word to describe them:

2 Guns - £30 - Available from Entertainment Store for £17.99
Black Swan - £20 - Available from Fox Direct for £9.99
The Bourne Legacy - £20 - Available from Zavvi for £10.95
City of God - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £14.99
Dark Shadows - £30 - Available from Entertainment Store for £12.99
The Jungle Book - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £9.99
The Nightmare Before Christmas - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £10.99
Taken 2 - £30 - Available from Fox Direct for £16.99
Willow - £30 - Available from Amazon for £11.95

Yes that's true but you also have sellers who are just trying to take advantage of members who aren't as smart when it comes to prices or are new to collecting. Looking through the first few threads of UK members, I can a couple of reasonably priced sellers but also some ridiculous prices on in stock Steelbooks from others. I know most like to try and get back what they paid, but asking ridiculous prices for readily available is beyond a joke. I know everyone is free to decide what an acceptable price is, but it just annoys me enough that I don't even bother checking the trade section. Even if another member has the item for sale, chances are it is a lot more than I want to pay. Here is an example of some of the prices, extraordinary is the only word to describe them:

2 Guns - £30 - Available from Entertainment Store for £17.99
Black Swan - £20 - Available from Fox Direct for £9.99
The Bourne Legacy - £20 - Available from Zavvi for £10.95
City of God - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £14.99
Dark Shadows - £30 - Available from Entertainment Store for £12.99
The Jungle Book - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £9.99
The Nightmare Before Christmas - £25 - Available from Zavvi for £10.99
Taken 2 - £30 - Available from Fox Direct for £16.99
Willow - £30 - Available from Amazon for £11.95

I think its people trying to get there money back in some cases to be honest. I do prefer to trade than sell myself so the prices listed dont always mean much too anyway, most people will work with you if you ask. But yes some may be just in it for the money i agree.
black swan i paid £14.99
Dark shadows i paid £22
The jungle book i paid £22.99
willow i paid bloody £35 for it EEK! when it went oos then it came back a week later.

Reactions: Jango and lgans316
At the same time there are traders in the classifieds sections who offer at correct price but some don't visit the threads and end up paying a higher price in eBay.

I feel sorry for sellers like yourself that are negatively impacted by the ridiculous inflation of prices that occurs on forums. I don't mind paying a bit more to deal with someone on a forum I know can be trusted, but paying twice the price just isn't worth it. It puts me off visiting that section because I feel that the chances of getting a bargain or at least a fair deal are very slim.

I think its people trying to get there money back in some cases to be honest. I do prefer to trade than sell myself so the prices listed dont always mean much too anyway, most people will work with you if you ask. But yes some may be just in it for the money i agree.
black swan i paid £14.99
Dark shadows i paid £22
The jungle book i paid £22.99
willow i paid bloody £35 for it EEK! when it went oos then it came back a week later.

I understand that, but rather than trying to sell those titles now for more than you paid, why not put them away until the value goes up or try to sell them for a reasonable price? A lot of the ones I listed are priced higher than they ever cost at retail and areare still available now. There are no excuses for those prices.

Reactions: lgans316
As a person whom has a sale thread ATM (shameless plug), I have to say it is quite a job trying to keep up with sales and prices.

I tend to check eBay, Play and Zavvi as well as our own forum.. Then I price lower than all these to try and guarantee a sale.

It's hard tho.. The trader can't always be right but I do my upmost to try and ensure I don't rip people off.

For example, I've just sold a copy of Iron Man Play, open, for £45. A lot less than I paid for it.

Sometimes you have to take a hit.. Actually most times you do!

Anytime I have sold anything wether it be on he forums or ebay I most times will take a hit. Steelbook prices will always fluctuate but this is why I tend to gravitate toward kimichi and blufan releases, you always get top quality and the value will never creep below what you paid for it even though I would never sell any of those releases :D

some ppl just set the pricetags slightly higher to prevent against ridiculous trade offers but most ninjas are very reasonable if it comes to negotiation.

I'd like to think I fall into this category and I'm always open to 'price checking' by more knowledgable Ninjas :)

That said I think some of my prices are pretty decent - blunt truth is, hardly anyone is buying at the moment!! :(

Reactions: mlmaier84
some ppl just set the pricetags slightly higher to prevent against ridiculous trade offers but most ninjas are very reasonable if it comes to negotiation.

Very valid point. Doesn't matter how reasonably you price it someone will always try and undercut what you put so putting up a price of 'x' when you're really expecting 'x-£5' is fine.

Reactions: mlmaier84
I'm New

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forums. I already have a few steelbooks but im always looking for new ones. Previously I've only been buying steels I have seen in HMV that I like, with the exception of Silent Hill Revelation which came from Amazon. It wasn't until recently I have started importing after seeing some of the available editions on this forum. I have ordered American History X (Canada), Inglourious Basterds (Canada) and Monsters (Germany). Until those arrive I only have 13 Steelbooks :( I have preordered Captain Phillips and the descent :) But they are not out for a month or 2.

I have attached A photo of my Steel Collection and of my entire Blu Ray collection, Fairly small compared to most but I am adding to it all the time.

I look forward to chatting with people on here. I will try and get on as regularly as possible.

Joel

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 68
Hi guys

Been 'soft collecting' steels for about 6/7 months and am attempting to concentrate on 4 ( originally 2!) areas.

Marvel
Disney ( despite all the issues around certain Zavvi decisions)
Horror
& All time Classics ( anything else worthy, my catch all)

Anyway, I wondered if there was a list, hopefully illustrated hopefully, anywhere on here or elsewhere that details all of the Marvel character steel releases?
I have been looking but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers. Mark

Anyway, I wondered if there was a list, hopefully illustrated hopefully, anywhere on here or elsewhere that details all of the Marvel character steel releases?
There ain't a list like you asked that is listed here but here's the characters that had the steelbook treatment:

Iron Man 1 (Canada, Uk, Germany)
Iron Man 2 (Uk, Germany, Asia)
Iron Man 3 (Worldwide)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Worldwide)
Thor (Worldwide)
Thor: The Dark World (upcoming...) (Worldwide)
Hulk (Uk) (DE)
The Incredible Hulk (Uk)
The Avengers (both in SteelBook & Viva Metal Box) (Worldwide)
Spider-Man Trilogy (Germany)
Spider-Man 1 (Canada)
Spider-Man 2 (Canada)
Spider-Man 3 (Canada)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Worldwide)
X-Men (Uk)
X-Men 2: X-Men United (Uk)
X-Men Trilogy (France)
X-men first class (UK , FR)
X-Men: Origins Wolverine (Uk, France)
The Wolverine (Worldwide)
Daredevil (Uk)
Blade (Japan)
Blade 2 (Japan)
Blade 3 (Japan)
Fantastic Four & Silver Surfer (Germany)
Ghostrider (DE)
Ghostrider 2 (US)

Last edited:
Reactions: WKRP and spiderman
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forums. I already have a few steelbooks but im always looking for new ones. Previously I've only been buying steels I have seen in HMV that I like, with the exception of Silent Hill Revelation which came from Amazon. It wasn't until recently I have started importing after seeing some of the available editions on this forum. I have ordered American History X (Canada), Inglourious Basterds (Canada) and Monsters (Germany). Until those arrive I only have 13 Steelbooks :( I have preordered Captain Phillips and the descent :) But they are not out for a month or 2.

I have attached A photo of my Steel Collection and of my entire Blu Ray collection, Fairly small compared to most but I am adding to it all the time.

I look forward to chatting with people on here. I will try and get on as regularly as possible.

Joel

Welcome! nice collection!

Hi guys

Been 'soft collecting' steels for about 6/7 months and am attempting to concentrate on 4 ( originally 2!) areas.

Marvel
Disney ( despite all the issues around certain Zavvi decisions)
Horror
& All time Classics ( anything else worthy, my catch all)

I have been looking but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers. Mark

Welcome! Smart way to collect!

There ain't a list like you asked that is listed here but here's the characters that had the steelbook treatment:

Iron Man 1 (Canada, Uk, Germany)
Iron Man 2 (Uk, Germany, Asia)
Iron Man 3 (Worldwide)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Worldwide)
Thor (Worldwide)
Thor: The Dark World (upcoming...) (Worldwide)
Hulk (Uk) (DE)
The Incredible Hulk (Uk)
The Avengers (both in SteelBook & Viva Metal Box) (Worldwide)
Spider-Man Trilogy (Germany)
Spider-Man 1 (Canada)
Spider-Man 2 (Canada)
Spider-Man 3 (Canada)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Worldwide)
X-Men (Uk)
X-Men 2: X-Men United (Uk)
X-Men Trilogy (France)
X-men first class (UK , FR)
X-Men: Origins Wolverine (Uk, France)
The Wolverine (Worldwide)
Daredevil (Uk)
Blade (Japan)
Blade 2 (Japan)
Blade 3 (Japan)
Fantastic Four & Silver Surfer (Germany)
Ghostrider (DE)
Ghostrider 2 (US)

Blade (Canada)
Blade 2 (Germany)
Blade Trinity (Germany)
Spider-man 3 (Germany)

reel heroes edition: hulk, incredible hulk (US, Canada, Germany)

for preorder Zavvi:
Fantastic four
X-Men 3: The last stand