Illuminated LED. Poster frame/box

Nov 9, 2013
UK
Alright everyone, hope you are al good, Ok I thought I would share my next project which is a lit Poster frame with LEDs, I have see/watched may videos of people making/trying to make these boxes/frames, but to be honest nothing really caught my eye, either to big bulky or not really practical or easy to make, the only other option is buy one already done, but we know these are not cheap, the only real option is the snap frames, with edge LED which are pretty good, but again not the cheapest option. With me I have seen many designs be it Steelbook frames LED Lighting Installs man caves etc etc, and I have pretty much only thought how nice it would be to be able to make, [or have ago anyway] something which has inspired me to have a go, I made some steelbook frames which came out Ok, well pleased in fact, took a while and much time thinking and coming up with a frame that would fit in a home environment, lets be honest most women and even men would frown at the thought of having a large wooden frame with steelbooks hanging on the wall in the lounge or anywhere else in the house for that matter, so if like me you are a lucky fellow my good lady loves everything film/Blu-ray and even Steelbooks, she is very good really does not complain or moan, in fact she has some input on the design or look of certain things, so yes I am a lucky chap. So my next project is making some movie poster boxes/frames, I made one a few years ago it looked very cool and was pretty pleased, but it was to bulky and by the time I had finished, it was a blot on the wall, I used tubes then, as LEDs were still expensive and not really available like they are now.
Before we go any further, I am not to good at this uploading images and making it look all fancy, so sorry in advance if the images are miles away down the page.
Anyway as you can see nothing really exciting to look at really, the wall was truly duff it ran out and bowed over an inch, and looked appalling, so re-battening and plaster boarding will rectify that problem.

So after much thought I decided to not go with boxes as in a light box fixed to a wall, what I decided to do is re-batten the wall and make the openings that will house the electrics/LEDs open, so as you can see, basically it looks like 2 picture frames these openings are exactly the same size as a one sheet poster 27x40 [ portrait ] style, I then had 2 frames made, basically picture frames, these were routed/rebated again the same size as the poster, with a 10mm recess all round to hold the poster Acrylic/Perspex in place, this will make sense as we go. As you can see the frames have been placed on top of the stud work, this is to allow marking and measuring, the aim is to make sure the actual rebate of the frame marries up with the size on the wall/stud work.

Attachments

• DSC08238.JPG
    DSC08238.JPG
    829.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC08240.JPG
    DSC08240.JPG
    792 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC08242.JPG
    DSC08242.JPG
    791.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC08243.JPG
    DSC08243.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC08298.JPG
    DSC08298.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC08300.JPG
    DSC08300.JPG
    839.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC08301.JPG
    DSC08301.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC08302.JPG
    DSC08302.JPG
    804.8 KB · Views: 128
Alright everyone, hope you are al good, Ok I thought I would share my next project which is a lit Poster frame with LEDs, I have see/watched may videos of people making/trying to make these boxes/frames, but to be honest nothing really caught my eye, either to big bulky or not really practical or easy to make, the only other option is buy one already done, but we know these are not cheap, the only real option is the snap frames, with edge LED which are pretty good, but again not the cheapest option. With me I have seen many designs be it Steelbook frames LED Lighting Installs man caves etc etc, and I have pretty much only thought how nice it would be to be able to make, [or have ago anyway] something which has inspired me to have a go, I made some steelbook frames which came out Ok, well pleased in fact, took a while and much time thinking and coming up with a frame that would fit in a home environment, lets be honest most women and even men would frown at the thought of having a large wooden frame with steelbooks hanging on the wall in the lounge or anywhere else in the house for that matter, so if like me you are a lucky fellow my good lady loves everything film/Blu-ray and even Steelbooks, she is very good really does not complain or moan, in fact she has some input on the design or look of certain things, so yes I am a lucky chap. So my next project is making some movie poster boxes/frames, I made one a few years ago it looked very cool and was pretty pleased, but it was to bulky and by the time I had finished, it was a blot on the wall, I used tubes then, as LEDs were still expensive and not really available like they are now.
Before we go any further, I am not to good at this uploading images and making it look all fancy, so sorry in advance if the images are miles away down the page.
Anyway as you can see nothing really exciting to look at really, the wall was truly duff it ran out and bowed over an inch, and looked appalling, so re-battening and plaster boarding will rectify that problem.

So after much thought I decided to not go with boxes as in a light box fixed to a wall, what I decided to do is re-batten the wall and make the openings that will house the electrics/LEDs open, so as you can see, basically it looks like 2 picture frames these openings are exactly the same size as a one sheet poster 27x40 [ portrait ] style, I then had 2 frames made, basically picture frames, these were routed/rebated again the same size as the poster, with a 10mm recess all round to hold the poster Acrylic/Perspex in place, this will make sense as we go. As you can see the frames have been placed on top of the stud work, this is to allow marking and measuring, the aim is to make sure the actual rebate of the frame marries up with the size on the wall/stud work.

So the day came when the acrylic/Perspex arrived, quite exciting really, who thought a grown man would get all childish over Perspex, anyway it had to happen, [it always does] the sheets are to big, well wide by an inch. So after a call and a week they came back all good. The next thing was to place a poster with the acrylic in the frame, and see how we were looking.

Attachments

• DSC08291.JPG
    DSC08291.JPG
    867.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC08293.JPG
    DSC08293.JPG
    795.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC08294.JPG
    DSC08294.JPG
    866.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC08295.JPG
    DSC08295.JPG
    771.3 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC08310.JPG
    DSC08310.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC08311.JPG
    DSC08311.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC08313.JPG
    DSC08313.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC08314.JPG
    DSC08314.JPG
    786.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC08315.JPG
    DSC08315.JPG
    724.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC08316.JPG
    DSC08316.JPG
    803.3 KB · Views: 148
So the day came when the acrylic/Perspex arrived, quite exciting really, who thought a grown man would get all childish over Perspex, anyway it had to happen, [it always does] the sheets are to big, well wide by an inch. So after a call and a week they came back all good. The next thing was to place a poster with the acrylic in the frame, and see how we were looking.

So as you can see hopefully the idea as to how it will work, unbelievably I only had Ghost rider as the posters to use, all my other posters are QUADS [landscape] so hence 2 posters the same.
So there we have it, for now I thought I would do this thread in 2 parts, make it a bit more interesting, and I hope it looks Ok the way it appears on screen. As you can see there is a double socket, this was fixed....if you can call it that dreadfully, it was just screwed to an old tile batten, and every time we used it, it always came loose, so this has been fixed properly an secure now. PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE..... unless you are confident to wire sockets or any wiring PLEASE DO NOT attempt this yourselves, always get an approved/licenced electrician to carry out any work. Ok so for now I will leave you, and get cracking with some more work, Hopefully with the posters in place now, you can see how it will work, the LEDs will run round the inside of the frame work [stud work] which will be fixed, this will allow the poster frames to be removed if I want to change the poster, this is not the best way I suspect for most, as it is a permanent fixing, but it will blend in nicely with the décor, I have just bought 2 Art Deco wall lights which I was very lucky to win, and I have to say I well pleased, my wife [Caroline is her mane] actually wanted that sort of theme, so who am I to disagree.

So thanks for taking the time to take a look, and I hope it was enjoyable, and as I said sorry if it looks a bit all over the place with the images, but this sort of thing is not my strong point.
Take care everyone and speak soon.
Huggsy

Attachments

• DSC08321.JPG
    DSC08321.JPG
    891.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC08320.JPG
    DSC08320.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC08322.JPG
    DSC08322.JPG
    801.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC08323.JPG
    DSC08323.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC08324.JPG
    DSC08324.JPG
    864.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC08325.JPG
    DSC08325.JPG
    870.2 KB · Views: 152
So as you can see hopefully the idea as to how it will work, unbelievably I only had Ghost rider as the posters to use, all my other posters are QUADS [landscape] so hence 2 posters the same.
So there we have it, for now I thought I would do this thread in 2 parts, make it a bit more interesting, and I hope it looks Ok the way it appears on screen. As you can see there is a double socket, this was fixed....if you can call it that dreadfully, it was just screwed to an old tile batten, and every time we used it, it always came loose, so this has been fixed properly an secure now. PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE..... unless you are confident to wire sockets or any wiring PLEASE DO NOT attempt this yourselves, always get an approved/licenced electrician to carry out any work. Ok so for now I will leave you, and get cracking with some more work, Hopefully with the posters in place now, you can see how it will work, the LEDs will run round the inside of the frame work [stud work] which will be fixed, this will allow the poster frames to be removed if I want to change the poster, this is not the best way I suspect for most, as it is a permanent fixing, but it will blend in nicely with the décor, I have just bought 2 Art Deco wall lights which I was very lucky to win, and I have to say I well pleased, my wife [Caroline is her mane] actually wanted that sort of theme, so who am I to disagree.

So thanks for taking the time to take a look, and I hope it was enjoyable, and as I said sorry if it looks a bit all over the place with the images, but this sort of thing is not my strong point.
Take care everyone and speak soon.
Huggsy

Alright every one.......Thought I would update progress, just finished battening and plaster boarding, hopefully now you can see how its going to work now, all the wiring has been done, so all I have to do is wire the LEDs and wall light, as you can see now, looks pretty much like a normal wall, so when its filled and painted it will no different, its like anything building all the work is hidden. The top of the wall where the batten is running along the top has a rebate, this where the an LED will run along the width illuminating the ceiling. Anyway nearly done now, next bit is run the LEDs round the frame work, plaster the wall, paint and pretty much there.
I will update next weekend, Hope you all have a good week.

EDIT......Forgot to say picked up 3 nice posters at the weekend, The Martian-Revenant-and the one I really wanted DEADPOOL Really nice, better than I thought actually, so this will look very nice illuminated.

Huggsy.

Attachments

• DSC08326.JPG
    DSC08326.JPG
    847.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC08328.JPG
    DSC08328.JPG
    825.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC08330.JPG
    DSC08330.JPG
    812.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC08332.JPG
    DSC08332.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC08335.JPG
    DSC08335.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC08338.JPG
    DSC08338.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC08339.JPG
    DSC08339.JPG
    788.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC08340.JPG
    DSC08340.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC08342.JPG
    DSC08342.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC08344.JPG
    DSC08344.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 136
Alright every one.......Thought I would update progress, just finished battening and plaster boarding, hopefully now you can see how its going to work now, all the wiring has been done, so all I have to do is wire the LEDs and wall light, as you can see now, looks pretty much like a normal wall, so when its filled and painted it will no different, its like anything building all the work is hidden. The top of the wall where the batten is running along the top has a rebate, this where the an LED will run along the width illuminating the ceiling. Anyway nearly done now, next bit is run the LEDs round the frame work, plaster the wall, paint and pretty much there.
I will update next weekend, Hope you all have a good week.

EDIT......Forgot to say picked up 3 nice posters at the weekend, The Martian-Revenant-and the one I really wanted DEADPOOL Really nice, better than I thought actually, so this will look very nice illuminated.

Huggsy.

HEY Everyone hope you are all good.
Well I thought it time to give an update, its been a while, unfortunately have not been to great, so not had a chance really to do anything.
Anyway I have now plaster boarded the wall and all recesses done I have now lined the left side frame with a cool white LED Kit 60 LEDs p-mtr comes with transformer just plug and play, 5-mtr kit £23-inc VAT. So pretty good the good thing it was a local electrical supplier so going in speaking to a person and seeing the product gives piece of mind, and anything goes wrong just run it back and change or refund, I had no idea what this was going work like, as I did not know how bright it would be, AND would it be bright enough to get through 6mm of acrylic one being white/opaque as it happened it was perfect, I run the whole 5-mtrs around the inside, so any excess I just run it around again. I then plugged it in and just about to switch it on, and the phone went, my good lady was with me, and said wait until I come back, but you know what women can be like, she could not resist the nice thing was, I heard a OH WOW, So I knew that it was Ok, and it did look nice, just light enough to illuminate the poster, but not bright enough to light up the whole house. Anyway here are some images, I am afraid as much as I tried I could not get a good image of the frame before and after/on/off, so I will do a video when finished, but check it out. The 2 wall lights are amazing very happy with them, they give a real cinema feel, although not genuine Art Deco [repro] they fit the bill nicely, thanks for your time and hope you enjoy.

Huggsy.

Edit....Forgot to say along the top you can see a beading/moulding running all round [above the door] this will have an LED light running all round the hall way, so the moulding has a rebate behind which will allow the tape to be concealed.

Attachments

• DSC08495.JPG
    DSC08495.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC08496.JPG
    DSC08496.JPG
    737 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC08497.JPG
    DSC08497.JPG
    720.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC08498.JPG
    DSC08498.JPG
    689.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC08499.JPG
    DSC08499.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC08500.JPG
    DSC08500.JPG
    721.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC08501.JPG
    DSC08501.JPG
    785.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC08502.JPG
    DSC08502.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC08503.JPG
    DSC08503.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 126
HEY Everyone hope you are all good.
Well I thought it time to give an update, its been a while, unfortunately have not been to great, so not had a chance really to do anything.
Anyway I have now plaster boarded the wall and all recesses done I have now lined the left side frame with a cool white LED Kit 60 LEDs p-mtr comes with transformer just plug and play, 5-mtr kit £23-inc VAT. So pretty good the good thing it was a local electrical supplier so going in speaking to a person and seeing the product gives piece of mind, and anything goes wrong just run it back and change or refund, I had no idea what this was going work like, as I did not know how bright it would be, AND would it be bright enough to get through 6mm of acrylic one being white/opaque as it happened it was perfect, I run the whole 5-mtrs around the inside, so any excess I just run it around again. I then plugged it in and just about to switch it on, and the phone went, my good lady was with me, and said wait until I come back, but you know what women can be like, she could not resist the nice thing was, I heard a OH WOW, So I knew that it was Ok, and it did look nice, just light enough to illuminate the poster, but not bright enough to light up the whole house. Anyway here are some images, I am afraid as much as I tried I could not get a good image of the frame before and after/on/off, so I will do a video when finished, but check it out. The 2 wall lights are amazing very happy with them, they give a real cinema feel, although not genuine Art Deco [repro] they fit the bill nicely, thanks for your time and hope you enjoy.

Huggsy.

Edit....Forgot to say along the top you can see a beading/moulding running all round [above the door] this will have an LED light running all round the hall way, so the moulding has a rebate behind which will allow the tape to be concealed.

All everyone well its been a while since being here, so I am pleased to show the finished article, just a very few little bits of touching up, but the frames posters are done, and I have to say I am really chuffed, they look stunning in the flesh, so pictures don't them justice, any way here are some pickys for you, hope you like.

Huggsy.

Attachments

• DSC08590.JPG
    DSC08590.JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC08592.JPG
    DSC08592.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC08586.JPG
    DSC08586.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC08587.JPG
    DSC08587.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC08598.JPG
    DSC08598.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC08597.JPG
    DSC08597.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC08591.JPG
    DSC08591.JPG
    860.4 KB · Views: 136
Hey Everyone hope you are all good

This is my LED Poster frame part-2, the 2 I had done came out pretty good and I am pleased with the result, but this time around I wanted to make a couple of frames a little more effective/traditional looking, I spent an age on-line looking at what others have done, from Art deco type style to marquee type frames, so as you can see I have designed these frames, they are pretty straight forward and simple I suppose, the main problem was the routing very dusty indeed, and another head ache is when you do route M.D.F the finish has a fluffy effect witch a real pain to prep, more on this later, so anyway here are some images of the routed boards just done, and then after a high primer has been applied, these will be rubbed down, and then I will run some adhesive/sealer in the flutes this will seal and give a hard finish, which will then leave a better finish when rubbed down again, I am thinking of Gold leafing these flutes, BUT there are 20 flutes so I think I will paint them with some model paint, then see what it looks like, I have had the Acrylic already cut out, and tomorrow will pick up the other bits which will go at the bottom, these will say COMING SOON and NOW SHOWING which has been done in a art-deco font, I will upload some more images when done. Anyway here are the images of the frames so far, hope you enjoy, and helps others who are thinking of having a go at some point.

Apologies for the quality of pictures.....

Huggsy

Attachments

• DSC08669.JPG
    DSC08669.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC08667.JPG
    DSC08667.JPG
    816 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC08674.JPG
    DSC08674.JPG
    876.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC08677.JPG
    DSC08677.JPG
    862.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC08679.JPG
    DSC08679.JPG
    832.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC08683.JPG
    DSC08683.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC08663.JPG
    DSC08663.JPG
    865.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC08668.JPG
    DSC08668.JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC08673.JPG
    DSC08673.JPG
    888.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC08677.JPG
    DSC08677.JPG
    862.6 KB · Views: 134
I forgot to reply long ago but I too have kept up on it. Love watching DIY follow-alongs. Just fun to read. :)

Hey everyone thought I would give you an update on the MK-2 Version of my poster frames, I have been busy with other projects so I have only just gone back to them, as you can see they look pretty good now and they are not finished as yet, just some more paint work and refining to do, but wanted to set acrylic in place and fix with the poster, so saves time faffing about later, I have tried to make them older looking sort of period time at the Cinema, so nearly there, then its just installing the LEDs around the frame and that's it, anyway enjoy.

Huggsy
DSC08737.JPG
DSC08738.JPG
DSC08739.JPG
DSC08740.JPG
DSC08742.JPG
DSC08743.JPG
DSC08744.JPG
DSC08745.JPG
DSC08746.JPG

Reactions: C2V3N
Hey every one Hope you are all good.
Just a quick update on progress, nearly finished now just need to install the LEDs inside the frames and that's it really, but thought I would show the finished frames, I slipped in a bit of colour BLUE to break the darkness of colour, it also goes nice with the wording at the bottom of each frame, nice match I think it works pretty well, anyway the posters you see will be changed, but used the ones you see to basically show a finished item, I have seen a really nice Cap America 1 poster I am after, but only comes from the states, never seen it before so will be getting that for sure, the other one will be Civil war, so anyway hope you like.

Huggsy

Attachments

• DSC08809.JPG
    DSC08809.JPG
    858.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC08810.JPG
    DSC08810.JPG
    801.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC08812.JPG
    DSC08812.JPG
    776.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC08814.JPG